State house doesn't vote for alcohol change

Yeah, but one guy gets to drive him BMW in the MNPASS lane, while I only get to drive my Chevy Impala. Shouldn't the state legislature make sure that we ALL get to drive BMW's in the MNPASS lane? Wouldn't that be fair? Why does one guy get to drive a BMW - I mean it even has seat warmers and automatic cruise control and leather seats - while I only get to drive my Impala that has cold vinyl seats and manual windows and crappy wiper blades? Shouldn't we all get to drive BMWs in the MNPASS lane? Wouldn't that be fair?

You understand that the price IS NOT the same for everyone at TCF Bank Stadium, right? Suite holders pay tens of thousands of dollars. General ticket holders pay $50. You understand that paying tens of thousands of dollars might bring in some other perks, just as a guy who buys a BMW might have a nicer ride than me in my Impala, right?

I mean, the suite holder gets access to a semi-private bathroom. They have temporary heaters in the luxury boxes. They have flat screen TVs in the suites. Do you believe that EVERY ticket holder at the stadium should get all of those things, too? It is only fair, right? EVERY fan gets a TV. They all get carpeted floors. Why is it only beer that concerns you? What's so big about beer in your mind? Suite holders get ALL KINDS OF PERKS, why should beer be off limits? What makes that so sensational that they shouldn't get it? What separates that from the other aforementioned perks?

This is the kind of illogical, hyperbolic argument that I don't care for.

I don't share that opinion.

Are you dense? What ruralgopher said is not opinion - it is fact. So, you're right - you couldn't share his opinion, because he didn't express one. He stated facts.

Are you dense? What ruralgopher said is not opinion - it is fact. So, you're right - you couldn't share his opinion, because he didn't express one. He stated facts.

I don't share his opinion that by making beer only available in suites that it is available to all. Again, the personal attacks really add to the debate here.

It's not the perfect comparison because the MNPASS is available to all and the price is the same for everyone.

Both MNPASS and Luxury boxes are available if you pay for it.

If I were Bruininks, I'd cave. I'd call a news conference and ask Tom Rukavina to join him at the news conference. I'd tell the world the University has been forced to sell beer to everyone by the legislature. That's the law. And, I'd offer a big thanks to Rukavina for sponsoring the law. Then, I'd let Rukavina thump his chest a little bit and brag about how he's for the average Joe, he's looking out for them and how he's happy the University has seen the light.

Then, after that, I'd say, "And, Tom, of course, if and when the family of six gets wiped out in their mini-van on I-94 by a drunken idiot 19-year old leaving the Gophers game, we'll look forward to you back here at the news conference thumping your chest again. Bragging about how it was YOU who made this happen. YOU ram-rodded this legislation through. Maybe you can visit the 7-year old orphan left behind in the wreck and tell her that it was YOU looking out for the common man that helped lead to all of this. Tom, you thank you for your support in selling beer to the entire stadium. You, indeed are a man for the people."

I don't share his opinion that by making beer only available in suites that it is available to all. Again, the personal attacks really add to the debate here.

No, it is in fact available to all. Suites are, in fact, available to all. Accessible to all is another story. Unless you can somehow prove that the University would discriminate against certain willing and eligible suite purchasers on the basis of race, sex, creed, etc., in which case you'd be correct. In reality, you are missing this key distinction.

Again, the personal attacks really add to the debate here.

I didn't say you were dense. I asked if you were dense. Big difference.

Sorry to get your little girl-panties in a twist. (See, that's a personal attack. I'm calling you a pre-pubescent girl.)

Both MNPASS and Luxury boxes are available if you pay for it.

The perfect example would be that the MNPASS is only available to people who buy a Lamborghini. So you can't buy a MNPASS and drive in that lane unless you buy a Lamborghini first. But that's available to everyone, right?

No, it is in fact available to all. Suites are, in fact, available to all. Accessible to all is another story. Unless you can somehow prove that the University would discriminate against certain willing and eligible suite purchasers on the basis of race, sex, creed, etc., in which case you'd be correct. In reality, you are missing this key distinction.

I didn't say you were dense. I asked if you were dense. Big difference.

Sorry to get your little girl-panties in a twist. (See, that's a personal attack. I'm calling you a pre-pubescent girl.)

See, I don't even need to respond to that. You've done such a wonderful job yourself of painting the picture of the type of person you are.

This is the kind of illogical, hyperbolic argument that I don't care for.

That's the kind of answer someone uses when they don't have a good answer. There was nothing hyperbolic in this, it is 100% factual:

Suite holder gets access to a semi-private bathroom. They have temporary heaters in the luxury boxes. They have flat screen TVs in the suites. Do you believe that EVERY ticket holder at the stadium should get all of those things, too? It is only fair, right? EVERY fan gets a TV. They all get carpeted floors. Why is it only beer that concerns you? What's so big about beer in your mind? Suite holders get ALL KINDS OF PERKS, why should beer be off limits? What makes that so sensational that they shouldn't get it? What separates that from the other aforementioned perks? Where's your outcry that suite holders get TVs? Or heaters? Or nice Cambria counter tops? Or high top chairs? Or cushioned seats? They get all of that when the general public doesn't. What pushes beer above the limits?

Can you answer the bolded parts? What makes beer so different than the others? Is it that it is sensational? What's so hyperbolic about facts? The FACTS are suite holders get all of those other perks? Why not beer?

The perfect example would be that the MNPASS is only available to people who buy a Lamborghini. So you can't buy a MNPASS and drive in that lane unless you buy a Lamborghini first. But that's available to everyone, right?

yes.

That's the kind of answer someone uses when they don't have a good answer. There was nothing hyperbolic in this, it is 100% factual:

Suite holder gets access to a semi-private bathroom. They have temporary heaters in the luxury boxes. They have flat screen TVs in the suites. Do you believe that EVERY ticket holder at the stadium should get all of those things, too? It is only fair, right? EVERY fan gets a TV. They all get carpeted floors. Why is it only beer that concerns you? What's so big about beer in your mind? Suite holders get ALL KINDS OF PERKS, why should beer be off limits? What makes that so sensational that they shouldn't get it? What separates that from the other aforementioned perks? Where's your outcry that suite holders get TVs? Or heaters? Or nice Cambria counter tops? Or high top chairs? Or cushioned seats? They get all of that when the general public doesn't. What pushes beer above the limits?

Can you answer the bolded parts? What makes beer so different than the others? Is it that it is sensational? What's so hyperbolic about facts? The FACTS are suite holders get all of those other perks? Why not beer?

Well, first of all, you couldn't practically put a large flat-screen TV on every seat, so that's apples and oranges. And I do have several bathrooms that are available to me, but not beer. Now, if they want to give away beer to people in the suites but charge money to people sitting in regular seats, I have no problem with that.

But that's available to everyone, right?

Yes. Again, Lamborghinis are available to everyone. Unless you can document an instance where Lamborghini refused to sell one to a willing and eligible buyer?

See, I don't even need to respond to that. You've done such a wonderful job yourself of painting the picture of the type of person you are.

Please tell me "the type of person I am". Since you know me and all, based on reading a handful of my internet postings. I'm dying to hear your detailed description.

So I guess you're in favor of that then, too. If you are, that's fine. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. It's just one I don't happen to share.

This isn't about opinions. And it isn't about being fair. It is about if the U can set their own stadium guidelines or not. Right now, they aren't able to because politicians saw an opportunity to play the faux populism card and act like they are fighting for the little fella, when actually they are limiting the U's ability to make money at precisely the same time they are cutting the U's budget. To the U's credit, they have not bent from the principle that they will not be providers of alcohol to students.

Huh? That's not all a perfect example. Using the MNPASS in this example is the equivalent of watching a football game at TCF Bank Stadium in person. Correct? EVERYONE who buys a ticket gets to do watch the game, just as everyone who buys a MNPASS card gets to use the lane.

Now, there are varying degrees with which you can do this (drive in MNPASS lane OR watch a game in person at TCF Bank Stadium). Some might buy a Lamborghini to use the MNPASS lane (that would be a suite). The Lamborghini drivers get perks like great stereo systems, electric seats, a monster engine, fancy tires, etc. Others might choose to buy a BMW (that would be Club Seats). They, too get some nice things. Others might drive a Honda (preferred seating/seatbacks). Others may choose a Ford (bench seating). And, yet others might drive a used Geo (student seats). They all have varying degrees of luxury or not. But, they ALL GET TO WATCH THE GAME!

In your analogy, EVERYONE should get to drive a Lamborghini or nothing. That would be fair.

So I guess you're in favor of that then, too. If you are, that's fine. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. It's just one I don't happen to share.

NOT OPINION!!!!! FACT!!!!!!

Jeez Louise, I've never seen someone be so willfully ignorant and obtuse on this board. And that's really saying something.

Yes. Again, Lamborghinis are available to everyone. Unless you can document an instance where Lamborghini refused to sell one to a willing and eligible buyer?

Certainly they are available to everyone. But within the context of requiring at Lamborghini to be able to use something else, like a carpool lane, do you think that would be fair? That's the issue here.

Certainly they are available to everyone.

Good job admitting that the entire foundation to your argument is wrong.

But within the context of requiring at Lamborghini to be able to use something else, like a carpool lane, do you think that would be fair? That's the issue here.

Yes, that is absolutely fair.

You have to be licensed to practice medicine. Or do you think we should all be allowed to be surgeons?

You have to be 21 years of age to drink alcohol. Or do you think we should let our kindergartners hold keggers?

How is this any different?

Good job admitting that the entire foundation to your argument is wrong.

Yes, that is absolutely fair.

You have to be licensed to practice medicine. Or do you think we should all be allowed to be surgeons?

You have to be 21 years of age to drink alcohol. Or do you think we should let our kindergartners hold keggers?

How is this any different?

The whole foundation of my argument wasn't wrong. You weren't understanding the point I was making. And that's that it is unfair, in my opinion, to only allow those in suites access to alcohol.

Suggesting that my stance on this is akin to allowing kindergartners to hold keggers is obviously ridiculous. For many reasons.

Just a quick question. How many of you that are hear talking/debating/bitching about the State Houses voting not to overturn the ban, contacted, lobby, explained to their Representive about how this law is wrong. My best guess it that there are posters/lurkers that live in over half of Minnesota's House districts.

Basically what I'm saying instead of sitting here doing nothing about the ban get out there and work on overturning it. That's the way our American system works. Explain to them that the money made college help pay for students tutition or improve academics for all students. Tell them in the this time of tight budgets openning up potenial reveune streams could help the U.

The whole foundation of my argument wasn't wrong. You weren't understanding the point I was making. And that's that it is unfair, in my opinion, to only allow those in suites access to alcohol.

Yes, what you state is an opinion (wrong as it may be). But what ruralgopher (and others) are stating, is fact.

Suggesting that my stance on this is akin to allowing kindergartners to hold keggers is obviously ridiculous. For many reasons.

Actually, not at all. The law is established that an individual must be 21 to partake in alcohol. The U of M's desired policy is that you must be in a suite to partake in alcohol. Establishing parameters to partake in an activity.

The difference is that the kindergartners can't do anything about their age, and just have to wait a few years. Adults, of legal drinking age, actually can do something about their desire to drink alcohol at a U of M football game. (Check that - they could, if idiots like you and UpNorthFauxPopulistGo4 would let the Board of Regents govern their University as they see fit.)

The Lamborghini is an unneeded distraction, the analogy holds without it. The MNPASS allows you to do something (drive in the HOV lane only one person) if you pay for a MNPASS. Luxury boxes also allow you to do something (have a beer) if you pay for the luxury box.

Well, first of all, you couldn't practically put a large flat-screen TV on every seat, so that's apples and oranges.

They could easily put 8' flat screen TVs on the back of every chairback. Why aren't you clamoring for that? Can you seriously not go three hours without a beer to watch a college football game?

They could easily put 8' flat screen TVs on the back of every chairback. Why aren't you clamoring for that? Can you seriously not go three hours without a beer to watch a college football game?

Chairbacks? It's unfair that people who pay more get chairbacks, while others sit in bleachers. At least it is if someone insists that it is unfair to get more if you pay more.

Chairbacks? It's unfair that people who pay more get chairbacks, while others sit in bleachers. At least it is if someone insists that it is unfair to get more if you pay more.

This would come after making every seat in the stadium a padded chairback since that would only be fair :)

I'm actually beginning to think maybe they should make all seats padded chairbacks with an open tap plugged right in to every seat. Just choose which brew you want. That way these people clamoring for beer won't even have to leave their seats. Now, THAT would be fair.

The Lamborghini is an unneeded distraction, the analogy holds without it. The MNPASS allows you to do something (drive in the HOV lane only one person) if you pay for a MNPASS. Luxury boxes also allow you to do something (have a beer) if you pay for the luxury box.

394: TCF Bank Stadium as MNPass-HOV lane: Premium Seating

Anyone with a motorized vehicle can travel on 394. Only a subset of those can use the MNPass-HOV lane. Either a carpool, bus, a motorcycle, or a transponder equipped car can use that lane. The rest of us get the traffic.

Anyone with a ticket can go to the stadium, but only the premium seats get perks. The U thinks one of those should be access to alcohol.

The solution, from the University's perspective, seems a rather obvious one. Wouldn't it be within the law for them to provide alcohol free of charge as a perk to those in suites while at the same time offering beer for sale to others - for $200 a bottle? Seems to me that would be within the law and would also achieve the U's objective of restricting alcohol sales to minors.

I obviously think that would be very *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#baggery of the U to do, but what's stopping them from doing that?

We have been debating this topic for more than a year and you GopherHolers with the double digit IQs are still not getting it. Let me spell it out for you:

Similarities between the Suites and Cheap Seats at Gophers Stadium

o Suites have a great view of the field ::: Cheap Seats have a good view of the field
----- No problem because there are no bad seats at The Brickhouse.

o Suites have Chairback Seats ::: Cheap Seats have Bench Seats
----- No problem because you can sit down unless some prick is standing in front of you.

o Suites have Great Food ::: Cheap Seats have Crummy Food
----- No problem because stale hotdogs and chips are standard fare at football games everywhere.

o Suites have Blow Jobs ::: Cheap Seats have Hand Jobs
----- No problem because life is good.

Differences between the Suites and Cheap Seats at Gophers Stadium

o Suites have Beer ::: Cheap Seats have Pop
----- No fu*king way because Gophers Stadium is a PUBLIC STADIUM built with PUBLIC DOLLARS and the Board of Regents and Administration are PUBLIC EMPLOYEES who are responsible for promoting PUBLIC POLICIES in favor of the PUBLIC GOOD and providing EQUAL ACCESS to PUBLIC FACILITIES and PUBLIC SERVICES.

Top Bottom