State Football ???

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Are any of the quarterfinal games streamed online and if so where?

I may go to the 9-Man championship game. I played 9-man football in high school, and it's been a long time since I have seen a 9-man game. Should be at TCF instead of the dome though.

When my high school switched from 11-man to 9-man, they never bothered to move the goalposts. As a result, one was 20 yards behind the end line. It didn't really matter, because no one kicked extra points or field goals. I suppose if an opponent had wanted to, there would have been an issue. I guess they would have had to switch ends to where the goalposts were in the proper position.

I expect that scouts will be at all the tournament games, even the 9-man games. It's less likely that good talent will come out of the small schools, but no harm in watching.

9-man now has regulation length field and just skinnier. I think Chad Greenway may have played 8 or nine man football in South Dakota. Not sure though. Probably won't see any Gopher scouts at the games though :)

9-man now has regulation length field and just skinnier. I think Chad Greenway may have played 8 or nine man football in South Dakota. Not sure though. Probably won't see any Gopher scouts at the games though :)

There is no 8-man football in South Dakota. Greenway played 9-man for Mount Vernon.

When I played, the field was 80 yards, but that's been a long time. I suppose if there is any worthwhile talent in these games, someone will inform the U, they can always watch tapes.

I always keep an eye on Rosemount as their coach is an old friend of mine. I do wish they would have kept it at 5 classes instead of the current 6. I have always enjoyed the prep bowl and it worked pretty well when they could run all 5 championship games on the same day. Having 6 games and making two teams play at 8:00 AM wasn't right. As long as they are going to have 6 classes, they might as well run the championships over two days, for sanity sake.

I've never been to the state tournament. I have to imagine that for the smaller schools, like Class A and 9-Man, it has to feel like a tomb. Except for the weather, might it be better to have these games at one of the smaller college stadiums?

The Prep Bowl is two days now with no games starting before 10 anymore.

PREP BOWL

At Metrodome

Friday, Nov. 26

• Class 5A, 7 pm

• Class 2A, 4 pm

• Class 1A, 1 pm

• Nine-Man, 10 am

Saturday, Nov. 27

• Class 4A, 3 pm

• Class 3A, noon

The prep bowl is a decent atmosphere, including for the small schools. The overall attendance has dropped from the early days of the prep bowl in the early 80's, I believe. But, it is fun for the small schools and they often bring fan groups much larger than just parents and students. When it comes to small town sports, the whole community tends to back the teams. The city slickers are often surprised, especially when it comes to basketball playoffs at the regional (now sectional) levels at the some of the crowd sizes. I can't speak for the era of the 8:00 AM games in the Prep Bowl but I agree that was just too early... it probably sucked. I know they divided it up into a two day event recently and I'm sure that has been better.

Depending on my schedule, I might head down to the dome to check out the Rosemount vs. (probable) Eden Prairie tilt next Friday in the semi-finals.

I'll be at the MV-Cretin battle tonight!
Should be a good game.

Well, for some of these 9-man schools, you could bring every person from both towns and have plenty of room at any small-college stadium. I'm not bashing small town sports, if it wasn't for having grown up in a small town, I would never have had a chance to play sports, and I go see my hometown school play when I get the chance. For some of these schools, both counties could fit in the stadium. The first college game I ever went to was a game at Concordia Moorhead. I thought the stadium was enouormous, but that was because a few thousand people was several times larger than my whole town.

All the games this weekend are played at a site that has turf and holds a minimum number of people. The MSHSL is looking to change the format of playoffs and possibly the regular season. School sizes have changed so much that many issues have arose with competetiveness at the conference level.

In 2011 teams can request to start a week early to help with scheduling issues and then take a week off later in the year which includes practice.

Grand Rapids in going to be in the Wright County for football the next two years. Imagine going from Hutchinson to Grapids for a regular season game.

Situations like this are causing the MSHSL to look at possibly doing away with conferences and have "section football". Sections of 8 would play a regular season (seven games) to be seeded for playoffs and then would be able to play 1-2 non-conference game depending on if all teams or just 1/2 would be allowed in the playoffs.

Did you know that Totino-Grace was not even eligible to win their conference this year because they chose to not play at least 1 conference game and schedule another non-conference game?

I played in the North Tri-County conference. We didn't have rivalry trophies, but we did have a traveling trophy that would travel throughout the conference. It only happened once that we were playing the team that had it. I'd miss conferences, but with all the consolidations, the landscape has changed so much anyway.

I may end up going to the Mankato/Mahtomedi game but it's a pretty far drive and it's gonna be really cold tonight. I may just end up listening to it on the minnesota sports network.

Well, for some of these 9-man schools, you could bring every person from both towns and have plenty of room at any small-college stadium. I'm not bashing small town sports, if it wasn't for having grown up in a small town, I would never have had a chance to play sports, and I go see my hometown school play when I get the chance. For some of these schools, both counties could fit in the stadium. The first college game I ever went to was a game at Concordia Moorhead. I thought the stadium was enouormous, but that was because a few thousand people was several times larger than my whole town.

Yes, but ask those small towns if they'd rather play on St. Thomas' field outdoors after Thanksgiving or indoors, on the Vikings field, using the Metrodome facilities, etc. and they are going to care far more about those things than the empty stadium seats.

For the past several years, the semifinals are also played at the dome.

Top Bottom