STATE FOOTBALL HEADED TO THE METRODOME

prep bowl is meant for the dome, love it down there! Cant let the weather decide state champs

prep bowl is meant for the dome, love it down there! Cant let the weather decide state champs

your statement is so far off it is not even funny. one can't let weather decide a championship? umm...okay. you mean like it does in college football, pro football, pro baseball, college baseball, and the state football championships in just about every other state? including almost all midwest and upper midwest states. including the twin cities neighbor with similar weather at this time of year (i.e. it is wisconsin, not north dakota).

come on man, get a clue.

It;s a good thing this tournament is in the Dome... SO many clearly casual fans in attendance for the biggest game (6A) between 2 teams from large cities within 25 miles of the dome. :p

If it makes you feel any better, neither school drew flies for their Thursday night state basketball tournament game last spring. Of the 4A schools playing that night (Hopkins, Osseo, Lakeville North, and Eden Prairie), Osseo was the only school that drew any sort of student crowd.

Maybe they're waiting for hockey season.

contrary to what the bureaucratic tools at the MSHSL office think, there is absolutely no reason why the minnesota football season and prep bowl should not be be played a week earlier than it is now. should not be playing the prep bowl on friday of thanksgiving weekend anyways. and there is no reason why it should not be held outdoors on the U of M campus like football is meant to be played.

I completely disagree. The Prep Bowl should be played indoors. We have the facility...so why not make the tournament comfortable for the fans? Have you ever watched the Wisconsin tournament? I've been there for the, and it was dang cold. The crowds were 1/3 the size of the MN Prep Bowl.

I completely disagree. The Prep Bowl should be played indoors. We have the facility...so why not make the tournament comfortable for the fans? Have you ever watched the Wisconsin tournament? I've been there for the, and it was dang cold. The crowds were 1/3 the size of the MN Prep Bowl.

Well it's a good thing we justify the existence of something by using it. Might be fine with a 30 year old stadium, but this is exactly the type of thinking that got the state and city sucked in to paying over $500M for a NEW Vikings facility for a couple events each year that are VERY sparsely attended and the possibility of a Superbowl and one Final Four down the road). $500M that won't be paid pack. On the flip side, we ALSO have an outdoor facility (which we might as well use) - one that is owned and operated by a STATE organization, has connections to every county in the country, is the stadium of the STATE's flagship university, and one where numerous former MN HS players play. The people who were watching quarterfinals outside not much earlier didn't have a problem with it. People all over the country watching football outdoors for college, pros, HS don't have a problem with it.

I'd also say based on this video of the 5A equivalent game that are 176 and 75 miles from Madison (rather than <25 like many of MN metro cities) was pretty well-attended. Keep in mind this was after the game where not everyone has stayed. I've watched a lot of Prep Bowls and didn't think attendance last night was much better or worse than any other years, and let's also keep in mind that the EP school GopherRock claims was part of the problem has played in 9 Prep Bowls in Mike Grant's tenure, so they are nearly always in it and factoring in their attendance.

supadupafly is right in that many do play outside, but Iowa plays in the UNI Dome, Michigan plays at Ford Field, New York plays finals at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, SD plays at the DakotaDome in Vermillion, ND plays between the FargoDome and Alerus Center, and Washington plays at the TacomaDome. Conversely, Illinois plays at Champaign, Ohio plays outside in 2 different facilities, Oregon plays outside at Jeld-Wen Field in Portland, Pennsylvania plays at Heinz Field, and NJ plays at MetLife.

I'd certainly say there's an argument that serious football states play football championships outdoors (Ohio, PA, NJ), but by no means would I say out midwestern brethren are across the board playing football outdoors. I think for a state like MN it makes sense - just like Wisconsin. My point through this whole thread has been MY preference would be the U because I much prefer football outside and think an 80% empty Dome is extremely stale and lifeless even if it is more comfortable. I think we're being hypocrites if we say it's ok to play outdoors for the quarterfinals 1.5 weeks earlier (especially if we bump the HS football schedule a week earlier). I think it's ludicrous to say the scheduling can't be done when we see a Big Ten state/school combo right next door doing it. And finally, I think the U would stand to gain a lot more than the Vikings do (and why should the Vikings care to push for the Prep Bowl to be in their facility) in the ways of recruiting and public image. Gameday logistics are not a concern seeing as transit access in 2014 and beyond are the same, parking at the U can easily handle 10-15k crowds just as easily as downtown, and I'd say the U has a better restaurant/bar scene close to the stadium for fan experience. It's a great way to celebrate our weather and state and highlight a stadium the state truly has a vested interest in. Player safety is a non-concern with heating coils being installed in 2 years (to say nothing of player comfort in the cold). Weather is not a deciding factor because the weather is the same for both teams. If I were the U I would PUSH for this and convince the MSHSL their facility is a better fit long-term to build a football culture. I compare MN to WI - very similar state size, median incomes, major city sizes, and population yet they consistently put out more D1 football talent than MN does. And a lot of them stay home in WI. This isn't the only reason, but certainly a FACTOR in it.

I think it is pretty clear that states that have the ability to play in a weather controlled environment do so. MN is one of these states, so pretty much end of discussion.

I think it is pretty clear that states that have the ability to play in a weather controlled environment do so. MN is one of these states, so pretty much end of discussion.

I'm glad YOU think that because the states that have access to domed/climate controlled fields means it's the RIGHT thing to do, in general or for us.

Again, I ask: if we the resounding message here is that playing indoors is better for fan turnout and comfort, player safety, or whatever reasons you're coming up with, then why didn't we create a closed stadium for the U or work with the Vikings to get a shared indoor stadium with better $ rights? Football is meant to be played outdoors.

They just had someone from the Minnesota High School league on KSTC 45. Anyone catch what they say, it look like they be going to TCF Bank Stadium for a year or 2, while the new stadium is being built and then they be moving it back to the New Stadium.

I'm glad YOU think that because the states that have access to domed/climate controlled fields means it's the RIGHT thing to do, in general or for us.

Again, I ask: if we the resounding message here is that playing indoors is better for fan turnout and comfort, player safety, or whatever reasons you're coming up with, then why didn't we create a closed stadium for the U or work with the Vikings to get a shared indoor stadium with better $ rights? Football is meant to be played outdoors.
Baseball is meant to be played outdoors, football is enjoyable in either setting.

Here is a legitimate argument regarding the metrodome and state football tournament play - they are terrible hosts. Between the high school league and the dome personnel themselves it is a class less outfit. The 6a teams (last games of the day) are required to put all of the gear in the hallway after halftime of their games and then go and pick up after the game so that the cleaning crews can begin cleaning. Also, the dome does not allow teams to drink gatorade / anything other then water on the sidelines. One would think that teams - coaches and kids would be treated with a little better class then common criminals before the game as well. Before each game the teams have to line up and are subjected to a pat down / bag search outside the large doors prior to entering the dome. Do you think that the hockey teams at the Excel Center are subjected to this treatment as well? The HHH Metrodome has reduced its staff since the gohers and twins have left and they are operating as a second class outfit to say the least.

Baseball is meant to be played outdoors, football is enjoyable in either setting.

??????

First, you say that as an absolute truth. I personally hate football indoors. It is so stale, and particularly when the crowds are smaller in a big venue (like HS football championship games). I'm glad that there's some magical line that says baseball should be played outside but football is ok either way.

Top Bottom