Star Tribune

Try listening to sports talk radio as you travel across the country. It's refreshing as it's actually sports talk radio.

We have shit for sports radio, and shit for sports newspapers. You can't make it up.
We don’t have bad sports radio, we don’t have sports radio…we have “sports” radio.

Has good ratings. Doesn’t make it good, or sports

1st - have to draw a difference between reporting and columns. Columns are opinions. reporting is supposed to be factual.

I think Chip Scoggins is a solid writer - if you haven't, try to check out his Monday Football Column.

The Gophers beat writers vary in quality, but I think they are at least passable. Marcus Fuller does a solid job on men's hoops. LaVelle E. Neal III does some coverage on the Gophers.

and this - in the "old days," writers had a lot more access to the coaches and players. Sid was practically a member of the team in the 40's through the early 60's. in the covid era, and possibly the post-covid era, that access has been greatly reduced. a writer can't just show up at practice and say "can I talk to Tanner Morgan?" the team decides which players will be made available to the media at zoom sessions. it's a lot harder to get 1-on-1 access to players and coaches. that reduces the level of knowledge that writers have about the team, and results in coverage being more bland or generic.

and - coaches and players have become much more guarded with their responses. nobody wants to make a gaffe - which means that it's harder to get a sense of players' personalities.

No you aren’t. St. Paul paper vastly superior in high school reporting.

the two strib high school reporters essentially editorialize even high school sports. Last night one of them made a smartass comment on Twitter at the Eden prairie account. At the beginning of the year they did a season preview where they basically called the Stillwater coaching staff underachieving when they have no idea what happens behind closed doors (meanwhile Stillwater is a top 10 team this year).

Just horrible. I actually think it’s worse for high school than college.

they think they are the newspaper version of espn hot takes show
Couldn’t agree more. Lavaque loves to editorialize. He’s a wannabe columnist that would be better off leaving the profession.

We don’t have bad sports radio, we don’t have sports radio…we have “sports” radio.

Has good ratings. Doesn’t make it good, or sports
Our sports radio would be better if they completely quit talking about the twins. I can't stand baseball.

As a lifelong Minnesotan I’ve traveled across the country. I have never experienced a worse example of journalism. Especially when it comes to college and high school sports.

Am I wring?
Nope. It's beneath them.

I will not buy the star-tribune because of many reasons...you name it...from sports to politics...it's simply a 'piece of sh*t rag' newspaper.

Top Bottom