STAR-TRIBUNE CENSORSHIP OF BARKER POST

JOHN4254

Reaction score
Yesterday evening when the Strib story first broke in Phil Miller's GOPHER GRIDIRON blog, I posted the Commentl appearing below as the 11th comment to the Miller story. My Comment was posted briefly, but as I predicted to my friend, it would disappear by morning as further proof of the censorship practices of the Star-Tribune when someone posts something they do not like, or post something that accuses them of censorship. I really don't care if GopherHole readers agree with my post or not. That is not my point. The Star-Tribune consistently censors those posts/Comments that criticize Strib actions, i.e. removing the link to A.J. Barker's letter to Coach Kill. My post did not use vile language, nor did I personally attack anyone. Feel free to beat up on me as you so desire, agree, disagree, call me what you will. However, I still believe in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution granting all citizens freedom of speech and the freedom to express our opinions without fear of censorship. Apparently, the Star-Tribune only believes in the First Amendment when it suits their purposes. BRAVO! And now, for my censored Comment on L'Affaire Barker/Kill:

Phil Miller and Star Tribune editors, where did the link to AJ Barker's letter to Coach Kill disappear to so quickly after the link to Mr. Barker's letter appeared in an earlier version of this story? Is the Star Tribune and its editors engaging in censorship of the actual email written by Mr. Barker in order to demonize him and protect Coach Jerry Kill and the University of Minnesota Athletic Department from criticism when it is forthcoming and apparently appropriate? Is this yet another typical example of college athletes being used up and spit out when a coach wants them to return from injury before their injuries are properly healed? Is this Texas Tech all over again? I hope not, but even the football training staff at Minnesota finally admitted that Mr. Barker had a crippling injury that could lead to a much more serious and long-term injury.

I have personally met and talked to this fine young man. He is an intelligent and thoughtful young man, not a troublemaker, not a malingerer trying to milk his injury for his own benefit. He deserves every Gopher football fan's understanding and support. I have been a Gopher football fan and season ticket holder for many years, as well as a proud graduate of this great University. Tonight, however, I am disappointed to hear of the series of events that have driven Mr. Barker to take the action that he believed was necessary to protect his physical health and his self-esteem as a human being and contributing member of the University of Minnesota Football Team.

As to the gratuitous attack on De LaSalle High School and its thousands of fine graduates who contribute much to our local community, and it's excellent student body (over 93% go on to colleges and universities), you know nothing about this fine school or its graduates and present students.

Finally, to Mr. AJ Barker, I wish you the very best in your future endeavors, you are a winner and you will achieve much in your future life with class, integrity, and dignity.

Is this Comment so dangerous that it should be suppressed?

Uhh.. No. I love a great conspiracy theory as much as the next guy.. but your theory thinking that the Strib is trying to cover up for the U and Coach Kill? Umm, just FYI, the note wasn't that hard to find. Hell, I read it in the middle of Iowa on my phone. Took me 3 seconds to find a link to it.

you keep on keeping on little guy. the effort you are putting forth is so precious. your tirade is almost as silly and unnecessary as a.j. barker's was. :rolleyes:

I didn't read your entire post because the bold hurt my eyes. The First Amendment only protects your speech from government censorship. The Star Tribune can do whatever they want with their website.

Bold and caps makes it more legit.

berneydidnotread.gif

The training staff admitted he had a problem when they let them take an MRI.
Who was ripping on De La Salle?
What does the First Amendment have to do with the Strib comments section?
Why bold?
If the Strib removed Barker's email, they did it to help him. I initially read an article about the situation and I came out on Barker's side, when I finally read the email....that all changed. The email doesn't make Barker look good and Kill bad, the email looks like a the incoherent rantings of someone who is not at a good place mentally.

Yesterday evening when the Strib story first broke in Phil Miller's GOPHER GRIDIRON blog, I posted the Commentl appearing below as the 11th comment to the Miller story. My Comment was posted briefly, but as I predicted to my friend, it would disappear by morning as further proof of the censorship practices of the Star-Tribune when someone posts something they do not like, or post something that accuses them of censorship. I really don't care if GopherHole readers agree with my post or not. That is not my point. The Star-Tribune consistently censors those posts/Comments that criticize Strib actions, i.e. removing the link to A.J. Barker's letter to Coach Kill. My post did not use vile language, nor did I personally attack anyone. Feel free to beat up on me as you so desire, agree, disagree, call me what you will. However, I still believe in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution granting all citizens freedom of speech and the freedom to express our opinions without fear of censorship. Apparently, the Star-Tribune only believes in the First Amendment when it suits their purposes. BRAVO! And now, for my censored Comment on L'Affaire Barker/Kill:

Phil Miller and Star Tribune editors, where did the link to AJ Barker's letter to Coach Kill disappear to so quickly after the link to Mr. Barker's letter appeared in an earlier version of this story? Is the Star Tribune and its editors engaging in censorship of the actual email written by Mr. Barker in order to demonize him and protect Coach Jerry Kill and the University of Minnesota Athletic Department from criticism when it is forthcoming and apparently appropriate? Is this yet another typical example of college athletes being used up and spit out when a coach wants them to return from injury before their injuries are properly healed? Is this Texas Tech all over again? I hope not, but even the football training staff at Minnesota finally admitted that Mr. Barker had a crippling injury that could lead to a much more serious and long-term injury.

I have personally met and talked to this fine young man. He is an intelligent and thoughtful young man, not a troublemaker, not a malingerer trying to milk his injury for his own benefit. He deserves every Gopher football fan's understanding and support. I have been a Gopher football fan and season ticket holder for many years, as well as a proud graduate of this great University. Tonight, however, I am disappointed to hear of the series of events that have driven Mr. Barker to take the action that he believed was necessary to protect his physical health and his self-esteem as a human being and contributing member of the University of Minnesota Football Team.

As to the gratuitous attack on De LaSalle High School and its thousands of fine graduates who contribute much to our local community, and it's excellent student body (over 93% go on to colleges and universities), you know nothing about this fine school or its graduates and present students.

Finally, to Mr. AJ Barker, I wish you the very best in your future endeavors, you are a winner and you will achieve much in your future life with class, integrity, and dignity.

How often do you think about taking up arms against the government? Be honest, God's watching.

nm. I deleted my 4000 word rant.

I didn't read your entire post because the bold hurt my eyes. The First Amendment only protects your speech from government censorship. The Star Tribune can do whatever they want with their website.

There is an exception to the first amendement for bold, all caps text.

I thought I finally figured out who Wren was when I read Barker's tumblr. But it was missing a :0) and any talk of Big 10 wins...so I don't know.

Also no references to Prexy B and Macturi.

I say embrace the bold thick font. Go back and read it again but this time mess up your hair first, violently tip over an end table, and yell each word. It helps to give the whole thing the right "feel."

AJ's mom's BFF says this is the best post EVER !

Dear Lord, people...PLEASE read up on the First Amendment and to what it does and does NOT apply.

John, there certainly have been stranger things written in the comments section of the Star Tribune website, but I'm pretty sure they have every right to delete comments. They are a private newspaper, not the government.

Schnauzer added color, hence, he is the most committed to his purpose! Well done sir!

People really need to learn what the First Amendment actually means, if where you are speaking to private ownership they have every right to remove your comment or anything they feel is unacceptable.

This is the best thread on this board for a long time. Classic responses.

Just another dumb American that doesn't understand Freedom of Speech.

I love ripping on De LaSalle and any private school for that matter.

Go Gophers 11111111111111

Top Bottom