Star Spangled Banner

Maverick

Reaction score
I haven't seen a post about this, so I apologize if there was one...

Did anyone else notice that during hte Star Spangled Banner, our Gophers were in a straight line, stood at attention and focused on the flag?

Did you also notice that the Cal Bears players were milling around, not at attention, talking to each other. One was even hopping...

I for one am proud of the attention to detail and pride that Brewster is insisting on here.

This kind of thing does effect teams, players and individuals... and fans!

Brew seems to be installing some pretty good discipline into his young men, at least in the locker room...now to just get them to be disciplined on the football field to avoid those yellow flags!

I did. Brewster has his issues but there is no question he respects the game and he demands his players respect it too. I like Brewster being in charge of our program.

No discredit to Brew or his staff, but having his team stay in line and attentive during the anthem isn't necessarily discipline, its players actually respecting the flag, traditions, and our country. The cal players walking around and standing in a group simply like a bunch of thugs just made us look that much more disciplined... i guess when your good at football it doesn't matter what you do..

sorry it seems like im just ranting about something seemingly small, but im sure there are a lot of veterans out there who would be outraged if they saw it

Brew seems to be installing some pretty good discipline into his young men, at least in the locker room...now to just get them to be disciplined on the football field to avoid those yellow flags!

Great point Maverick, we both noticed that. Very noticeable discipline. I think we only had 3 or 4 penalties in the game. The yellow flags were not a huge issue in my mind. Previous games yes!

No discredit to Brew or his staff, but having his team stay in line and attentive during the anthem isn't necessarily discipline, its players actually respecting the flag, traditions, and our country.

Didn't Bud Grant actually make his players practice standing at attention during the nat'l anthem? Brewster may not have them practice, but I wouldn't doubt he requested that his players stand respectfully for a minute and a half. It seems odd, but things like those are important to discipline. Pay attention to the little things and the big things take care of themselves.

Didn't Bud Grant actually make his players practice standing at attention during the nat'l anthem? Brewster may not have them practice, but I wouldn't doubt he requested that his players stand respectfully for a minute and a half. It seems odd, but things like those are important to discipline. Pay attention to the little things and the big things take care of themselves.

No discredit to Brew or his staff, but having his team stay in line and attentive during the anthem isn't necessarily discipline, its players actually respecting the flag, traditions, and our country. The cal players walking around and standing in a group simply like a bunch of thugs just made us look that much more disciplined... i guess when your good at football it doesn't matter what you do..

sorry it seems like im just ranting about something seemingly small, but im sure there are a lot of veterans out there who would be outraged if they saw it

It's just one thing of many. Carry yourself like a man and you will become one. Carry yourself like a child and you will stay one.

Add it all up and it is discipline. Discipline has many forms and incarnations. It is a good thing.

Their band was also playing during the moment of silence before the game.

Their band was also playing during the moment of silence before the game.

They were just playing their school song as their team came onto the field. No way they had any idea the moment of silence was happening.

Look...you're talking about Cal-Berkely here....

This was the school whose campus was tear-gassed by then-Gov. Ronald Reagan.

I doubt half the students there even know all the words to our National Anthem. LOL

Can't say I care one way or the other if a player mills around during the national anthem. It's a needless bit of pageantry that doesn't mean anything to me.

Hey FlyingSquirrel guy, I'm confused. First you say, "... having his team stay in line and attentive during the anthem isn't necessarily discipline." Then you say,
"The cal players walking around and standing in a group simply like a bunch of thugs just made us look that much more disciplined..."

Which is it?

It Ain't Necessarily So...

Wow...

Maybe freedom really is free?!?!:rolleyes::(

No, freedom is not free. But, if we want the hard won freedoms we have to actually mean something, then citizens have to be free to CHOOSE not to care whether football players stand at attention during the anthem before a football game. That does not mean that either the person who feels that way, or the players milling about, are un-patriotic.

Undisciplined? Perhaps -- it depends on what their coach has asked for and expects. If the coach told the players "I expect you to be at attention during the anthem" and the players acted otherwise, then that's being undisciplined.

As someone who ALWAYS looks at the flag and sings along to the national anthem, I have great respect for our country and for tradition. However, I also understand that true freedom allows for others to feel and act differently --- that's an unintended cost/benefit of true freedom. If we're both truly free, then you get to act and feel differently than I do, even if I don't like it. Anything else is simply "freedom" in name only, and is nothing more than myth.

Can't say I care one way or the other if a player mills around during the national anthem. It's a needless bit of pageantry that doesn't mean anything to me.

Wow. Wanting to discuss whether the Gophers are ready for a gay player means something to you, but honoring soldiers who keep you safe doesn't. You are entitled to your opinion but wow ...

Wow. Wanting to discuss whether the Gophers are ready for a gay player means something to you, but honoring soldiers who keep you safe doesn't. You are entitled to your opinion but wow ...
It's an empty gesture in my mind. Patriotism and duty are a lot more complex than doffing a cap at a football game.

Top Bottom