Stanzi is out. How does that affect our chances?

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a repetitive thread.
'As expected, Iowa junior quarterback Ricky Stanzi doesn't appear on this week's depth chart for the Ohio State game. Head coach Kirk Ferentz will address Stanzi's status Tuesday, but said Saturday that he expected the quarterback to miss the final two regular-season games.' http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

All year I've thought the Iowa game was win we weren't going to be able to win. If the Gophers that played against Michigan State show up I like our chances. But the team that played the first 3 quarters against the Illini won't win that game. On the plus side after Stanzi went down the Hawkeyes lost to Northwestern. That bodes well for the Gophers.

I'd say it helps the Gophers, but I just saw what an unknown freshman QB did to them, so I have no idea. Iowa's not in freefall mode yet, but that team is "gettable" right now. Win a trophy game already.

'As expected, Iowa junior quarterback Ricky Stanzi doesn't appear on this week's depth chart for the Ohio State game. Head coach Kirk Ferentz will address Stanzi's status Tuesday, but said Saturday that he expected the quarterback to miss the final two regular-season games.' http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

All year I've thought the Iowa game was win we weren't going to be able to win. If the Gophers that played against Michigan State show up I like our chances. But the team that played the first 3 quarters against the Illini won't win that game. On the plus side after Stanzi went down the Hawkeyes lost to Northwestern. That bodes well for the Gophers.

We don't exactly have a good track record against backup QB's. See Northwestern last year and Illinois this year.

If the Offense shows up for Four Quarters the Gophers win going away...but that has happened once.

It can't hurt. Iowa is no where near as untouchable as I thought at the beginning of this season with all there recent injuries. We'll have to play flawless inspired football to have a chance though.

It will obviously help our chances but Iowa will still have the advantage at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. We'll need to play relatively mistake free football to be in the game.

Anyone else see they are 16 point dogs at OSU this weekend? I think OSU will win, but definitely cover. Iowa's defense is too stingy to allow a blow out.

It hurts us. Stanzi is TERRIBLE. 4 INT's in one quarter against INDIANA.

It hurts us. Stanzi is TERRIBLE. 4 INT's in one quarter against INDIANA.

+1.

Imagine any qb with all the time in the world against our db's... Not a pretty sight.

I doubt we get any sort of pass rush at all since we never do.

We will need something weird or strange to happen if we pull that game out imo.

I understand that the Gophers have struggled against backup QBs. I would just point out that Iowa was totally unable to move the ball against Northwestern (a team worse on Defense than us) after Stanzi went out. Iowa's two deep at QB includes two equally unheralded and untested redshirt freshmen. If the Gophers play on Offense like we did against Michigan State they will win at Kinnick

The Gophers can make any QB look like a Heisman Trophy candidate. Gophers will still be required to score against a quality defense, not exactly a strength of theirs.

Frod0 you are so off base. Stanzi is inconsistent but to say he is a terrible quarterback shows your ignorance. I'd take him over any quarterback in the B10 in the fourth quarter. There is a reason he has led six comeback wins in not even a full season of starting.

Frod0 you are so off base. Stanzi is inconsistent but to say he is a terrible quarterback shows your ignorance. I'd take him over any quarterback in the B10 in the fourth quarter. There is a reason he has led six comeback wins in not even a full season of starting.
Because he puts them in a giant hole by being generally worthless.

Because the Offense isn't that good? :D

The Hawks will rely on their defense, STs, 12th man and an intense desire to retain Floyd to carry the day.

For the Gs, hard to say what Minny will rely on because as many here have pointed out, it's impossible to know which team is going to show up.

Lol, Iceland that has something to do with it. I was a little harsh with Frod0 but some would agree with him until Stanzi went down. He had 134 passing yards in the first quarter and was SHREDDING the NW defense. He goes down, fumbles, they score. He's out and the game changes. Luckily our defense is extremely good and it has remained fairly injury free. (Knock on wood) I'd take the spread this week though, it the perfect storm for an Iowa win. Win or lose, this has been a great ride and a great season and it has built a lot of confidence going forward.

I will be absolutely shocked if we go into Iowa and win. Their defense will destroy our offense the entire night. HELLO, do you guys not remember what happened when we went to Ohio State and Penn State. We are going to the Pizza bowl. We all need to mentally prepare for that.

I will be absolutely shocked if we go into Iowa and win. Their defense will destroy our offense the entire night. HELLO, do you guys not remember what happened when we went to Ohio State and Penn State. We are going to the Pizza bowl. We all need to mentally prepare for that.
Any Gopher who heads to Iowa is a winner, because win or lose they get to leave Iowa.

We still have to move the ball against their defense. Losing their QB will hurt their offense, but the defensive strategy of don't cover recievers on 3rd and long hurts us to.

Having Stanzi out helps the Gophers chances a lot. I know it is vogue in the sports media and sports message boards to rag on Stanzi's interceptions this year, but Stanzi is a very good college quarterback. Yes, he has thrown some interceptions, but the guy has thrown many long TD passes placing the ball the only place possible in tight coverage. His backup(s) will improve with game experience, but its still a loss. Stanzi is a leader that the team rallies around, and he is a winner. His record speaks for itself. Its a devastating loss for the Hawks IMO.

It all depends on how many interceptions our DB's drop.

Let's be clear about this - there are more than a few Illinois fans who felt that they had a better chance to win the game with Juice being on the sideline. I don't think it is the same situation in Iowa.

It all depends on how many interceptions our DB's drop.

Based on one game, I'm not sure INTs are going to be a huge issue for JVB. He threw one right away, but I'm willing to chalk that up to nerves. After than he by and large was making good reads and decision, he just wasn't executing them as well. My sense is that he's not nearly as prone to dumbass decisions as Stanzi was, but he also doesn't have a great sense of timing with the receivers yet, so he misses some open guys that Stanzi would probably hit. He also kinda struggles with his touch on shorter passes, but, again, that might be nerves.

Of course, again, this is based on one game, so it's entirely possible that I'm way off on this. I'm hoping that having a couple weeks of reps with the first team will help him with some of those timing issues, and he'll at least look at lot better against Minnesota (who has a pretty terrible D) than he did against Northwestern. I'm pretty much already preparing myself for him looking horrendous against OSU's defense.

This probably won't make me very popular around here, but the Gophers have as much chance at Kinnick in 2 weeks as the Detroit Lions have at Metrodome this weekend. If iowa were on their 4th string QB, they would still win. The Gophers have proven they can't score against a top defense, so all iowa has to do is get 10 points to guarantee a victory. I'm pretty sure the hawkeyes can manage that against our putrid defense no matter who is playing QB for them. I really hope I'm wrong, but pretty convinced I'm right. Sad really, I can't stand iowa. :(

This probably won't make me very popular around here, but the Gophers have as much chance at Kinnick in 2 weeks as the Detroit Lions have at Metrodome this weekend. If iowa were on their 4th string QB, they would still win. The Gophers have proven they can't score against a top defense, so all iowa has to do is get 10 points to guarantee a victory. I'm pretty sure the hawkeyes can manage that against our putrid defense no matter who is playing QB for them. I really hope I'm wrong, but pretty convinced I'm right. Sad really, I can't stand iowa. :(

Pretty much.

Based on one game, I'm not sure INTs are going to be a huge issue for JVB. He threw one right away, but I'm willing to chalk that up to nerves. After than he by and large was making good reads and decision, he just wasn't executing them as well. My sense is that he's not nearly as prone to dumbass decisions as Stanzi was, but he also doesn't have a great sense of timing with the receivers yet, so he misses some open guys that Stanzi would probably hit. He also kinda struggles with his touch on shorter passes, but, again, that might be nerves.

Of course, again, this is based on one game, so it's entirely possible that I'm way off on this. I'm hoping that having a couple weeks of reps with the first team will help him with some of those timing issues, and he'll at least look at lot better against Minnesota (who has a pretty terrible D) than he did against Northwestern. I'm pretty much already preparing myself for him looking horrendous against OSU's defense.

Yeah, Minnesota doesn't have a great D, but Northwestern's D is much worse. They are far less athletic than what the Gophers have.

Huge letdown coming

In my opinion, the best thing Iowa has going for them in the Hawk-Gophers matchup is that it's at home and it's a rivalry game. That's about it.

Less than a week ago, Iowa was thinking BCS title game. They lose their starting QB, lose to NORTHWESTERN, and then head this weekend into a game with Ohio State (last home game for seniors, etc.) at the Horseshoe where the Buckeyes suddenly find themselves in the driver's seat for the conference title.

Even if Stanzi played in the Buckeye game this weekend, I'd be predicting a comfortable victory for the Bucks. With no Stanzi, the Hawkeyes get boat-raced out of the stadium.

That leaves an Iowa team finishing off their now somewhat disappointing season at home against the Gophers without their starting QB and team leader.

I'm certainly not saying the Gophers are going to go to Iowa City and WIN, but you're talking about an Iowa team that will have gone through a LOT in the 2 weeks preceding the Gopher game

Top Bottom