Staggering the Bigs (RSIII/Colt/EE/Walker

eker0016

Importer Exporter
Reaction score
Now that it sounds like Walker is in the fold, what do you guys think about staggering the graduation years for our big men? I am kind of a fan of having EE and Walker as the understudies for RSIII/Iverson for a couple of years. Next year:

Juniors: Iverson/RSIII/Possibly Mbakwe
Freshman: Walker
Redshirting: Eliason

I'm assuming Walker won't redshirt next year -- especially if Cory decides to come here, he would love to play with him for a year.

Totally musing, and I know it would be unorthodox, but what would you think of redshirting Walker for 2011-2012 and having Eliason be the backup big man? If Iverson, RSIII and Mbakwe are all seniors, EE is now eligible to play...that doesn't leave a lot of playing time. Maybe these are just the kinds of thoughts I have after playing too much NCAA football, but I'm tossing it out there. The kid gets 5 free years of education and probably trades a rather unproductive year for a chance at a much more productive year.

Can't see Walker redshirting at all.

We could have one of the biggest teams in college basketball. Four guys 6'10" and over - then throw in Mbakwe. If (if) White comes back that's six guys 6'8" or taller.

I'm assuming Walker won't redshirt next year -- especially if Cory decides to come here, he would love to play with him for a year.

I take it you have already convinced yourself that Cory will be a one and done?

No redshirt for Mo. We need him on the court with DJ and PC gone.

His sophmore year he will be too good not to play.

Starting lineup:

RSIII
Colt45
EE
Walker
Me

BB,

Gotta good handle? You'd need it with that crew!

I take it you have already convinced yourself that Cory will be a one and done?

I think there is very little chance he is a one and done anywhere he goes.

Yea, id say the offense next year should have a point and ralph up top, then three other bigs crowding the basket and just tossing it up to get layups every time down

talk about slow feet

I would full court press your big team and win by double digits.

I think the OP is on to something with EE redshirting. Everything I've heard seems to indicate that he needs time to develop and would benefit from a RS year. Mo Walker seems to buy us that time because we can play Iverson & Sampson together at 5 & 4 respectively and still bring Walker off the bench if someone gets in to foul trouble.

Ralph

Time for Ralph to step up! I think Tubby is getting bored with Ralph and his high basketball I.Q.

Let's hope next year Ralph stops bringing the ball below his waist so he doesnt get ripped by 5'11 guards. Let's hope he has a move where he goes to the basket. Lets hope he plays with a little fire and does not become the next Dan Coleman..

I think Tubby going after Walker shows he is bored with Ralphs ways..

Wouldn't it be something to see those 4 guys on the floor at the same time (regardless of performance)? Sorry to derail the OP.

Roland, maybe Tubby is bringing in Mo because 1.He'll be a dominating post player and 2. We'll need a banger down low when Iverson gets tired/gets into foul trouble? Ralph showed some flashes this year and if he keeps working hard I could definitely see him being a huge contributor next year.

Ralph

GoldyGo4.... good take I agree to a point.

Dominant would nice I would take consistent.. Need to see more of those flashes especially against good teams and not just against UMD

I’ve seen EE play a few times and I feel that he needs to red shirt. He’s picked up a lot of bad habits playing against Nebraska 6’3 centers. Also Nebraska coaches (in general) never take out their best players. This might sound like a good idea at first but then you have to realize if they are never coming out they are not playing with 100% effort on the floor. They are always trying to save something for the end. It’s not just EE this happens to all the good players here in Nebraska.

Akoy Agau (a kid that gopher fans need to learn about quick) is a freshman center that started for Omaha Central. In the title game with 3 minutes left in the first half the freshman Akoy was left in with two fouls with a 12 point lead. Maybe you do this with a senior but not a freshman. They never take these kids out until forced. If he had picked up his 3rd foul there, then a quick on in the 3rd quarter he wouldn’t have had his 14 points 17 rebounds, and 7 blocks. I know Central ended up winning by a good number but you never know.

EE does a lot of things poorly right now. One is the hustle, but again if you know no matter what happens you will be playing 95% of the game you’d try to save something too. Still, Don Meyer says you want your centers to get from the defensive block to the offensive block in 4 seconds; realistically 5-6 is what you’re looking for. I never saw EE do it in less than 10. Tubby can fix this very fast by sitting him everything he doesn’t sprint back. The idea of transition will be beat into his head the moment he sets foot on campus.

EE also does a poor job of getting hip to hip contact with his defender. This is most likely due to the fact that he’s 6’11 and everyone else is 6’5. Still this is a very important skill that all college centers need to have. In general all of his post position skills are under developed. He doesn’t seal the defenders well at all, he opens himself to the middle rather than baseline on lob passes, he often takes three dribbles when one will do ect.

But his four man preseason practice squad is going to have Iverson, RSIII, Walker, if they are planning on playing him. This would mean Mbakwe trail didn’t go well for him. I’ve seen at other schools you can get a lot of work done in these four man groups, but it’s a matter of building muscle memory. A lot of coaches will tell you it takes 20,000 reps to build muscle memory.

He does have good hands, I do feel he tries to work hard, and he does know how to finish. In the end a lot of good coaches wanted him Tim Miles, Dana Altman, Ben Jacobson. I talked to a Colorado State GA at a Meyer coaching clinic he told me Miles and Jacobson pulled out because they felt he was a lock for Stanford. Now Altman is kind of a d**k but he’s a good coach, everyone here knows Miles, and Jacobson. I never talked one on one with the kid, and that’s a good list of coaches that have, and liked him. So I have to believe he’s going to good, but he’s just not even close to ready.

The best thing for him is to RS and hit Newell’s big man camp, and maybe Don Meyer’s if this isn’t his last year of running camps as well. Meyer paid the women’s coach a good amount of money to run the women’s camp at NSU so I shouldn’t be shocked if he paid Sather a large sum of money as well.

You think Tubby is bored with RSIII and he still starts him?

Time for Ralph to step up! I think Tubby is getting bored with Ralph and his high basketball I.Q.

Let's hope next year Ralph stops bringing the ball below his waist so he doesnt get ripped by 5'11 guards. Let's hope he has a move where he goes to the basket. Lets hope he plays with a little fire and does not become the next Dan Coleman..

I think Tubby going after Walker shows he is bored with Ralphs ways..

If tubby was bored with Ralph he wouldve sat him in favor of colt. I am still shocked he never gave Colt a start at center to send Ralph a message??? Colt deserved it.

Top Bottom