Stadium issues

St. Paul Parking........

what a fiasco. They terrorize you into buying a season parking pass, so I get one closest to my home. They DO NOT tell you, you can park there for $10 anyway.....so there was no need to get a season pass.

Soooo....I just lost $60 bucks, becasue I will not go back to the shuttle.....the post game ordeal was just too terrible.

It did look like plenty of folks were enjoying the chance to tailgate at the fairgrounds, but sheesh....I'll bet they are rethinking it after the "Shuttle from Hell."

So this morning I emailed [email protected] and I just got this reply...

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at TCF Bank Stadium for the Gopher Football game on September 12.

We sincerely apologize for the long wait upon entering the stadium; for the long lines and lack of food vendors and cash registers at the concessions stands. We want you to know that we are working to alleviate these issues for future games and your comments will be forwarded to administration, security and our concessionaire.

We truly appreciate your input, your understanding and your support of Golden Gopher Athletics.

Barb Chandler
Gopher Fan Relations
University of Minnesota Athletics

Welcome back to campus and Go Gophers!

Problem: People waiting in line, with money in hand and wanting to spend it.

Hard to imagine they won't fix this problem. But you never know.

Problem: People waiting in line, with money in hand and wanting to spend it.

Hard to imagine they won't fix this problem. But you never know.

soooooo true. It really is THEIR loss if this isn't fixed. They already lost at least $30 from me... which ended up going to the Dominos in Mound after the game.

Well, both the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press have now run stories on the few problems from Saturday night. It seems to me from reading those stories and the conversation on here that there were three reoccurring themes. . .

1. Getting into the Stadium

2. Long concession lines/ not enough food

3. Acoustics (Too loud 2 miles away apparently, but not loud enough inside the stadium in places)

Well HOT DAMN this is all great news because . . . . drum roll please . . . . . .

THEY CAN FIX ALL OF THOSE PROBLEMS WITH RELATIVE EASE!!

Thank God there were now major construction failures. If these are the problems the U is dealing with, they have to be smiling knowing that with a little work they can make it right.

Thank God there were now major construction failures. If these are the problems the U is dealing with, they have to be smiling knowing that with a little work they can make it right.

The only major construction failure I can think of is the band seating, but you are right, I bet 90% of the problems could be fixed before Saturday.

First of all, we should just ignore the idiotic complaints of the elderly about the loud noises. Also, if you're properly tailgating you should probably have consumed enough food as to where you are at the stadium to stay in your seat (or stand...I don't want that argument on me) and watch the game, strategically getting up to pee at the right times.

I thought the noise complaint from the elderly couple was laughable. You live right next to the biggest college campus in the state. Deal with it or move.

I love how Maturi said they would consider lowering the volume. So you're going to lower the volume to 50,000 people so it isn't too loud for a handful of people outside the stadium? Nice.

I thought the noise complaint from the elderly couple was laughable. You live right next to the biggest college campus in the state. Deal with it or move.

I love how Maturi said they would consider lowering the volume. So you're going to lower the volume to 50,000 people so it isn't too loud for a handful of people outside the stadium? Nice.

They aren't going to lower the volume. He is getting asked on the record what he's going to do so he offers some qualified comments about considering altering the volume. The U isn't concerned about some whiny people 2 miles away nor should they be.

First of all, we should just ignore the idiotic complaints of the elderly about the loud noises. Also, if you're properly tailgating you should probably have consumed enough food as to where you are at the stadium to stay in your seat (or stand...I don't want that argument on me) and watch the game, strategically getting up to pee at the right times.

Not everyone tailgates. Some folks prefer to eat at the game (I don't understand it, but whatever).

They will not add registers, They are not wired for it.
At the dome or any stadium, those are not registers you sit on the counter and plug into the wall.
Those are stations of a huge computer system, They'd need weeks if not months to make that change.

There only chance, will be adding portables everyplace they can. And cutting back the menus at the big stands to a more reasonable size. So they are not trying to cook 12 things on one grill and one deep fryer.

The lines will get better no matter what, people will just eat before they get in there. They lost not only Saturdays business, but business for a few games to come.

They will not add registers, They are not wired for it.
At the dome or any stadium, those are not registers you sit on the counter and plug into the wall.
Those are stations of a huge computer system, They'd need weeks if not months to make that change.

There only chance, will be adding portables everyplace they can. And cutting back the menus at the big stands to a more reasonable size. So they are not trying to cook 12 things on one grill and one deep fryer.

The lines will get better no matter what, people will just eat before they get in there. They lost not only Saturdays business, but business for a few games to come.

I guess we really shouldn't be all that shocked that Aramark screwed this up. This is one area where I'm pretty sure that Target field is going to surpass TCF in terms of fan experience--they aren't required to deal with a crappy outfit like Aramark. It's tough to give the U much sympathy on the loss of alcohol sales when they (and/or Aramark) have chosen to throw away thousands and thousands of dollars in concessions income due to incompetent planning.

(all this complaining about food and shuttle buses aside--I am THRILLED with everything else about the stadium and can't wait for the next game)

That's true, I've haven't seen a better stadium for watching the game, and the view in there is unbelievable.

This Saturday I'll get there earlier again, but after a big meal :D. And it'll be a great Game.

I'd like to make a shameless self-promotion for the businesses of Stadium Village. If the stadium concessions aren't meeting your needs, come on into the Village and enjoy some of our fine food and beverages. Most of the places, like us at Campus Pizza, were quite busy, but were able to handle the crowds well. We probably could've squeezed in a couple dozen more fans before and after the game. I also noticed some extra room to mingle in the various Beer Gardens in the Village, including ours and the one outside U Liquors. So, instead of waiting in line during and after the game, come on down to Stadium Village, relax, enjoy yourselves, and then head home when the traffic and shuttle lines have died down.

I'd like to make a shameless self-promotion for the businesses of Stadium Village. If the stadium concessions aren't meeting your needs, come on into the Village and enjoy some of our fine food and beverages. Most of the places, like us at Campus Pizza, were quite busy, but were able to handle the crowds well. We probably could've squeezed in a couple dozen more fans before and after the game. I also noticed some extra room to mingle in the various Beer Gardens in the Village, including ours and the one outside U Liquors. So, instead of waiting in line during and after the game, come on down to Stadium Village, relax, enjoy yourselves, and then head home when the traffic and shuttle lines have died down.

This is exactly what my group did and we enjoyed it immensely!

A temporary solution is better calculators. These tiny little calculators won't cut it. My dollar store calculator is about 6" x 8", and would be a better solution, you don't have to peck at tiny keys and read tiny numbers.

They could get printing calculators, with large keys and and display with a printout. Costs about $21 at Office Max.

Just got word that Aramark will not be adding cash registers. Apparently, they're using the excuse of "best practice." Whatever that means. At the very least, I'd suggest they get some more people behind the counters as runners. One person to take orders, get food, fill drinks and deal with the money isn't going to cut it. All that said, I couldn't be happier with the new stadium. These wrinkles will get ironed out to a degree and people will adjust.

They aren't going to lower the volume. He is getting asked on the record what he's going to do so he offers some qualified comments about considering altering the volume. The U isn't concerned about some whiny people 2 miles away nor should they be.

i certainly hope your assumption is correct. i know people who live in the st. anthony park area of st. paul where the complaint about noise came from and they can't believe that someone from their hood actually went crying to the press about it. they think the sounds of football in the fall sweeping through their neighborhood is wonderful and adds to the charm of living there.

as you said i certainly hope that the U doesn't cave to a very small minority of whiners simply to save a very minimal amount of PR face. it is not worth it to lessen the experience for the 50,000+ showing up at the games each weekend.

GopherBen is right....the entrances just need to be formed much much better. Once the lines got long no one knew where the lines started and stopped. Provide clear lines for people which go 30 people deep...

as you said i certainly hope that the U doesn't cave to a very small minority of whiners simply to save a very minimal amount of PR face. it is not worth it to lessen the experience for the 50,000+ showing up at the games each weekend.

I could see them spending more time worrying about this if it was a local neighborhood group right next to campus. Those groups have at least some power to annoy the U and have some sway to affect the U's plans. But 2 miles away? Forget it...they don't affect the U so the U has no reason to worry about them. IMHO, of course. :)

At the very least, I'd suggest they get some more people behind the counters as runners. One person to take orders, get food, fill drinks and deal with the money isn't going to cut it. All that said, I couldn't be happier with the new stadium. These wrinkles will get ironed out to a degree and people will adjust.

Folks in my group thought the same. This would be an easier change to make than cash registers (since Aramark is obviously cheap) and would have a noticeable impact on improving speed.

Would seem to me that if you have cash registers you have a much faster customer turnover rate, which means you're moving through more customers and making more money which would more than offset the register cost but hey.

Would seem to me that if you have cash registers you have a much faster customer turnover rate, which means you're moving through more customers and making more money which would more than offset the register cost but hey.

Agreed. However, looking long term requires a short term investment that Aramark might be loath to make in this economy. Stupid overall? Probably...terrible customer service choice for sure.

Just got word that Aramark will not be adding cash registers. Apparently, they're using the excuse of "best practice." Whatever that means.

"best practice" = "cheapest practice"

If you'll notice, in all of Maturi's responses to problems from game one he spends time talking about the parking shuttles, long lines to get in, and noise--he pretty much glosses over all concessions talk. We need to realize this is very unlikely to be fixed this year.

If we are going to have to wait an hour for a piece of pizza, the least the U could do is let us bring our own food in. Problem solved!

So, can all the people bitchin about the concessions send their complaints to Aramark and not post them on this board? Clearly they are a bunch or morons over there. I feel bad for the kids that work the concessions. They have been setup to fail and will have to deal with angry fans for three hours every Saturday.

So, can all the people bitchin about the concessions send their complaints to Aramark and not post them on this board? Clearly they are a bunch or morons over there. I feel bad for the kids that work the concessions. They have been setup to fail and will have to deal with angry fans for three hours every Saturday.
Ultimately whatever happens within the walls of the stadium is the university's responsibility so it's relevant here.

Ultimately whatever happens within the walls of the stadium is the university's responsibility so it's relevant here.

It's relevant but people will be better off complaining to Aramark directly and not the University. Just head to their website hit the contact button and send them an email with your thoughts.

Top Bottom