Stadium issues

Agreed. However, looking long term requires a short term investment that Aramark might be loath to make in this economy. Stupid overall? Probably...terrible customer service choice for sure.

Who hired Aramark? I don't understand how the U is passing the buck on this.

Well first, they're passing it b/c they can. If Aramark can solve this without the U getting involved then that's one less thing to worry about. However, Aramark doesn't seem interested in making that happen.

That's why I think that only pushing Aramark on this is a mistake. The U needs to keep hearing well written critiques (with positive suggestions on how to improve when possible) so that they feel compelled to pressure Aramark. Aramark may "own" this issue but they are still being hired by the U to do a job and the U can probably force changes if they want to.

Well first, they're passing it b/c they can. If Aramark can solve this without the U getting involved then that's one less thing to worry about. However, Aramark doesn't seem interested in making that happen.

That's why I think that only pushing Aramark on this is a mistake. The U needs to keep hearing well written critiques (with positive suggestions on how to improve when possible) so that they feel compelled to pressure Aramark. Aramark may "own" this issue but they are still being hired by the U to do a job and the U can probably force changes if they want to.

Of course the U can force changes. They're writing the check. What they say goes. Or else Aramark goes. It's that simple. This is the U's responsibility.

"best practice" = "cheapest practice"

If you'll notice, in all of Maturi's responses to problems from game one he spends time talking about the parking shuttles, long lines to get in, and noise--he pretty much glosses over all concessions talk. We need to realize this is very unlikely to be fixed this year.

If we are going to have to wait an hour for a piece of pizza, the least the U could do is let us bring our own food in. Problem solved!

+1

This has been so obvious, he doesn't comment on that problem. My guess it is that it will be a mess all year long, then maybe next year they will 'fix' it with cash registers, but I doubt it.

Aramark has a MASSIVE contract with the U to provide dining services, concessions, etc. for an extended number of years.

Bad planning? Yes, but these things will get better. Remember that this was also the employees' first game and they'll improve their efficiency as time goes on as will Aramark generally.

Does Aramark do concessions in other stadiums or large venues? Do they use calculators there? I am just wondering what led them down the road to make this decisions and to think that it would work just fine?

As others have already said it seems like such a poor idea on so many levels, I honestly don't get it? They run out of food and move slow = less $$, have no accounting, no control over theft, etc...... At the end of the day were they genuinely surprised by how this went?

Does Aramark do concessions in other stadiums or large venues? Do they use calculators there? I am just wondering what lead them down the road to make this decisions and to think that it would work just fine?

As others have already said it seems like such a poor idea on so many levels, I honestly don't get it? They run out of food and move slow = less $$, have no accounting, no control over theft, etc...... At the end of the day were they genuinely surprised by how this went?

It's very puzzling. You would think Aramark would want to make as much money as possible. There must be some angle they are playing here. Oh well, I'm going to start smuggling in Chipotle.

Only thing I can think of is they expect attendance to tail off so adding the additional infrastructure isn't warranted.

Does Aramark do concessions in other stadiums or large venues? Do they use calculators there? I am just wondering what lead them down the road to make this decisions and to think that it would work just fine?

It's how they do things at Williams and Mariucci.

Maybe they are hoping to wait and 'cash in' this year with this huge new contract, then next year invest in cash registers? Maybe not wanting to have a big outlay upfront. Nothing else really makes sense.....

<<<"They will not add registers, They are not wired for it.
At the dome or any stadium, those are not registers you sit on the counter and plug into the wall.
Those are stations of a huge computer system, They'd need weeks if not months to make that change.">>>>

Wrong! You can find many POS systems(cash registers) with touch screen that tally and break down sales that you can just 'plug into' the wall. It' nothing more than a cost cutting measure by the vendor.

Not to sound like an old fuddy but the younger generation can operate these newer systems much better than add and count change like us older folks. Us older folks are just the opposite. Been in the hospitality bussiness most of my adult life.

As far as opening more entry gates-when opening a new venue the rule of thumb is to over-staff(open more gates) to give best service and cut back if need be once it's all figured out.

Everything else about the stadium seems to be A+.

As far as opening more entry gates-when opening a new venue the rule of thumb is to over-staff(open more gates) to give best service and cut back if need be once it's all figured out.

Agreed. Obviously the pregame plans didn't anticipate that kind of a rush or (more likely) didn't anticipate that getting through security would take as long as it did. The feedback I got from friends who missed the pregame festivities while stuck in a line at Gate B was that the lines weren't what really pissed them off. What really got them PO'd was that they opened the extra gates so late in the process. It was a decision that could and should have been made earlier in the day. The good news is that the U seems prepared to make the right changes on the gate situation.

Reading these posts has been great! The stories of the TCF security reminds me of what happened at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing right after 9/11. Paranoid.
Couldn't get in until end of 1st qtr! They adjusted, we adjusted. We used to take our youngest in a stroller and stow it under the bench; nobody cared. Suddenly, you were bad if you held a stadium cushion in line, bastards! If you carry a water in, seal broken, toss it buddy. Water non-seal broken, you're golden. Who makes up these rules!!!?

Businesses operate in their own perceived self interest. That isn't always the same as their actual self-interest. Aramark thought they could skimp on cash registers. But it cost them sales, as people walked away from the lines. Cash registers are a one-time expense, lost sales are on ongoing loss. They need to hurry up and eat the cost of cash registers ASAP.

Top Bottom