St. Thomas headed to Summit League

LesBolstad

Lot's of nice big venues close to campus. I would guess they'll play games at a variety of arenas, and should have a nice starting fanbase.

Keyser Söze

Where will they play?

I'm in the minority. I don't like it. Splits the D-1 fan base in Minnesota. I guess it will generate a lot of interest for one game a year locally, but it might be a high risk game that could lower their NET score.
Maybe in like 10 years if they actually become a decent team by D1 standards.

Ope3

Where will they play?

I'm in the minority. I don't like it. Splits the D-1 fan base in Minnesota. I guess it will generate a lot of interest for one game a year locally, but it might be a high risk game that could lower their NET score.
Has being the only D-1 fanbase really been that meaningful/helpful for the Gophers in the past 50 yrs? If this is an "obstacle" Minnesota is not able to overcome than there really is no point in competing an a Power 5 Conference.

leib0039

As a giant Gophers fan I see 0 upside in this for the U. Do I think we will lose out on all kinds of recruits/fans? No, but there is now another option. If the Gophers are say 4-12 in Big ten play and have Ohio St coming in on a Wednesday night, meanwhile across town UST is 14-1 in conf and has NDSU coming in at 12-2, I can see some people going over to UST for a night of bball. Or the recruit who is dead set on staying in MN but is very faith based and not interested in a huge campus/school now has an option to play D1 and not go to say Marquette or Creighton.

I don't know specifics but look for example at Trey Lance at NDSU. I am sure his options were, well maybe get some run at the U or be the starting QB at a FCS powerhouse, he chose the later and took away the U as an option. Had NDSU not been there who knows, maybe he just goes to the U in a smaller role. Those guys are not the Ty Johnson's/Oturu's of the world but you miss out on 2 guys who are really good 5th/6th men on the bball team that take you from having a good year to a great year.

Good for UST but as a Gophers fan I am certainly seeing them as "objects in the rear view mirror are closer than they appear".

MennoSota

As a giant Gophers fan I see 0 upside in this for the U. Do I think we will lose out on all kinds of recruits/fans? No, but there is now another option. If the Gophers are say 4-12 in Big ten play and have Ohio St coming in on a Wednesday night, meanwhile across town UST is 14-1 in conf and has NDSU coming in at 12-2, I can see some people going over to UST for a night of bball. Or the recruit who is dead set on staying in MN but is very faith based and not interested in a huge campus/school now has an option to play D1 and not go to say Marquette or Creighton.

I don't know specifics but look for example at Trey Lance at NDSU. I am sure his options were, well maybe get some run at the U or be the starting QB at a FCS powerhouse, he chose the later and took away the U as an option. Had NDSU not been there who knows, maybe he just goes to the U in a smaller role. Those guys are not the Ty Johnson's/Oturu's of the world but you miss out on 2 guys who are really good 5th/6th men on the bball team that take you from having a good year to a great year.

Good for UST but as a Gophers fan I am certainly seeing them as "objects in the rear view mirror are closer than they appear".
If they are faith based they won't go to St Thomas. [emoji57]

Ope3

As a giant Gophers fan I see 0 upside in this for the U. Do I think we will lose out on all kinds of recruits/fans? No, but there is now another option. If the Gophers are say 4-12 in Big ten play and have Ohio St coming in on a Wednesday night, meanwhile across town UST is 14-1 in conf and has NDSU coming in at 12-2, I can see some people going over to UST for a night of bball. Or the recruit who is dead set on staying in MN but is very faith based and not interested in a huge campus/school now has an option to play D1 and not go to say Marquette or Creighton..
If the Gophers are 4-12 in the Big 10, the AD, Coaches and Admin will have much bigger problems than worrying about the Tommies playing the same night.

die hard gopher

I agree its not good for the U. I mean it probably won't really negatively affect us but it definitely won't help us either.

I don't expect them to compete with us for top recruits or anything but even if the gophers lose so much as a potential walk-on to UST that otherwise would have came here, that will be too much for me and I will be pissed.

And it sounds like no more Tommi-Johnnie football unfortunately. I was hoping we'd be able to continue that even if St. Thomas was in the UW conference.

Bad for St. John's, bad for the U. Don't like it.

die hard gopher

This is awesome. I always thought it was embarassing that a state of our size had only one D1 program.
I've always thought that was a good thing and was something I took pride in.

Coaches and analysts always mention how we are the only D1 school in the state as a benefit when talking about the positives of this coaching job. That was one of the first things Pitino said about us when he came here. And it was a good thing.

Ope3

I agree its not good for the U. I mean it probably won't really negatively affect us but it definitely won't help us either.

Perhaps the competition will spur on the Gophers to get better. Not just on the field but off the field as well such as marketing.

coolhandgopher

How impactful has UWGB been on the Marquette and Wisconsin basketball programs over the years? That hypothetical 6th-7th-8th man walk on you speak of for the Gophers has been going to Northern Iowa, the Dakotas, UWGB, etc. for a number of years. There's only so many spots on a roster and if a kid wants to play, they're going to find a college that'll take them.

As for the hypothetical scenario of a 4-12 Gophers squad losing crowds to St. Thomas. . .well, we've been there, done that, except that time and dollars is going to the Timberwolves, where you can watch the best players in the world. The given scenario reminds me of those golden days of the Twins being discussed for contraction and the Saints drawing solid crowds and tailgates at Midway, and if I recall, even outdrawing the Twins on the occasional night. No way that it could last.

In my view, the high level of prep basketball currently in the state has been highly influenced by the T-Wolves (or, to be accurate, that we are a NBA city and access to viewing the top talent in the sport). Another D-1 team means more interest in basketball, more talent, more opportunities, more development, more awareness. How long has the state had several hockey programs at the top level, and teams such as UMD, St. Cloud State, Mankato and Bemidji competing right along side the Gophers (if not better)? I know nothing of college hockey, but I have to imagine it's been a case of higher water raising all boats. It's going to be years before the Tommies would be any type of competition for the Gophers and as Ope3 pointed out, the Gophers coach deserves to be under scrutiny if they're a better draw that a Big 10 team.

Zeppelin Gopher

Id be SHOCKED if a recruit ever chose UST over the Gophers. Wouldn't happen.

Zeppelin Gopher

After reading through this thread...apparently our fanbase is even more insecure than I'd ever imagined.

If we're seriously concerned and stressing about UST providing competition to the Gophers then we might as well give up and withdraw from the Big Ten right now.

Holy Man

How impactful has UWGB been on the Marquette and Wisconsin basketball programs over the years? That hypothetical 6th-7th-8th man walk on you speak of for the Gophers has been going to Northern Iowa, the Dakotas, UWGB, etc. for a number of years. There's only so many spots on a roster and if a kid wants to play, they're going to find a college that'll take them.

As for the hypothetical scenario of a 4-12 Gophers squad losing crowds to St. Thomas. . .well, we've been there, done that, except that time and dollars is going to the Timberwolves, where you can watch the best players in the world. The given scenario reminds me of those golden days of the Twins being discussed for contraction and the Saints drawing solid crowds and tailgates at Midway, and if I recall, even outdrawing the Twins on the occasional night. No way that it could last.

In my view, the high level of prep basketball currently in the state has been highly influenced by the T-Wolves (or, to be accurate, that we are a NBA city and access to viewing the top talent in the sport). Another D-1 team means more interest in basketball, more talent, more opportunities, more development, more awareness. How long has the state had several hockey programs at the top level, and teams such as UMD, St. Cloud State, Mankato and Bemidji competing right along side the Gophers (if not better)? I know nothing of college hockey, but I have to imagine it's been a case of higher water raising all boats. It's going to be years before the Tommies would be any type of competition for the Gophers and as Ope3 pointed out, the Gophers coach deserves to be under scrutiny if they're a better draw that a Big 10 team.
Fair analysis, but the hockey analogy fails. Gopher hockey is no longer dominant and there are many reasons, one of them being it is harder to get the best players in Minnesota to be Gophers. The proliferation of D-1 hockey teams in Minnesota has contributed to it.

I must be in a bubble many of you don't live in, but I see throngs of fair weather fans losing even more interest in the Gophers if UST gets competitive in the Summit. I dread the day the Tommies are in the tournament with a NET of 225 based on a late run in the season run and upsets in the conference tournament and the Gophers are one of the last four out. Media goes crazy about how good little UST is and how terrible the Gophers are.

I don't see huge recruiting issues, but there is definitely risk in the depth category when a guy who could help the Gophers chooses UST because of playing time.

There is no upside for the Gophers. There may be an upside for fans if we can see a D-1 game up close for $10.

Zeppelin Gopher

I dread the day the Tommies are in the tournament with a NET of 225 based on a late run in the season run and upsets in the conference tournament and the Gophers are one of the last four out. Media goes crazy about how good little UST is and how terrible the Gophers are.
This is an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. Could definitely see the PPress and Strib running with that angle.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Far from it. I wouldn’t ever consider nor let my kids consider applying to sub par schools that have zero value outside the state of Minnesota and paying a premium for it at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, if they are scholarship BB players, they aren't paying.

Latest profile posts