St. Louis Post Dispatch: Gophers coach tackles more than football at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STL Post Dispatch:

Before the Orange Bowl, Kill accepted the top job at Minnesota, a middling Big Ten program that had just endured a 17-33 four-year stretch under Tim Brewster. Kill had an impressive lower-division track record but had never coached in one of the power conferences. Could he cut it in the Big Ten?

He wasn’t flashy. He didn’t ooze charisma. He was 49. Bald. A bit stocky.

“I laughed, because I saw all the negativity in Minnesota,” Moccia said. “‘He’s not a big name. He doesn’t look like a matinee idol.’”

“People get stuck in the, ‘Hey, we need to win the press conference’ (mentality)” Moccia added. “You see that on the AD level, too. ‘If I don’t hire a big-name guy I won’t win the press conference.’ But five minutes after the press conference you’ve got to recruit and coach.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_a6826dfd-6fde-5a28-9bed-609b415d29ba.html

Go Gophers!!

This should win over a few Missouri fans. lol

"Kill missed last year’s Michigan game after he suffered a seizure the morning of the game. He gradually resumed his coaching duties the rest of the season but worked from the press box. Some writers questioned whether Kill should continue coaching the team.

The criticism only seemed to bolster support for Kill, both within the team and the fans."

Here ya go guys

Coach Kill's ploy of using seizures to gain fan support for himself and the team worked on me.

Strange a story like this comes from The Saint Louis Dispatch, then again not so strange. With perspective a well written story is put in print.

Compare this to the knee jerk cynic still employed by the local rag.

Kill started the Webb city Run on state titles..they won their 13th this year and he is always given his do credit. So it's not surprising the StL media has stayed updated on his success.

NIU played in the Orange Bowl after Kill's first season at Minnesota, not following his 3rd season at NIU. This fact-checking took me all of 30 seconds, and on a smartphone nonetheless. Are there any standards whatsoever to be a "journalist" in 2014?

NIU played in the Orange Bowl after Kill's first season at Minnesota, not following his 3rd season at NIU. This fact-checking took me all of 30 seconds, and on a smartphone nonetheless. Are there any standards whatsoever to be a "journalist" in 2014?

IMHO, standards for journalism have gone by the wayside with the advent of technology that make everyone around the world who has a smart phone or other digital devices connected instantly.

Real fact checking probably was not done at the St. Louis Dispatch for this Jerry Kill article before being published.

Wasn't the NIU Orange Bowl in 2013? Wouldn't that've been Kill's second season?

Top Bottom