Spring Practice Observations

diefirma

Reaction score
First a disclaimer - I have been a season ticket holder for 40 years and I still have trouble understanding why or why not a play worked. Take the following observations with grain of salt. We were on the sidelines and many times other fans or players blocked my vision.

Drake Lindsey is big - just as tall as most of his linemen, thick but not quite as thick as the linemen. Towards the end of practice he flipped a pass down the center of the field to, I think, a tight end for a touchdown. The pass was long, accurate and effortless. He is the future next year I think.

Max looked good, accurate BUT he tossed a pick and had several others that could have / should have been picks. He seemed to find open receivers but I don't think he was very good at estimating the speed of the D backs. As many have commented - there is a difference between FCS and FBS speed. I am sure he will adjust but not quite there yet.

I think we will be better at QB than we have been in the Fleck era

Jayden Wright looks ever bit of 225. Could be a good change of pace for Taylor.

Don''t know if this is meaningful or not but Carroll was playing guard and Lewis was playing tackle. Ryan Burns has thought this would be the best combination on the right side.

I thought there were a lot of drops today. Not sure why or who to blame today.

Overall I am neither discouraged or encouraged - It looked like a very early practice.

Max looked good, accurate BUT he tossed a pick and had several others that could have / should have been picks. He seemed to find open receivers but I don't think he was very good at estimating the speed of the D backs. As many have commented - there is a difference between FCS and FBS speed. I am sure he will adjust but not quite there yet.
Hopefully just figuring out what throws he can and can't get away with 🤞

First a disclaimer - I have been a season ticket holder for 40 years and I still have trouble understanding why or why not a play worked. Take the following observations with grain of salt. We were on the sidelines and many times other fans or players blocked my vision.

Drake Lindsey is big - just as tall as most of his linemen, thick but not quite as thick as the linemen. Towards the end of practice he flipped a pass down the center of the field to, I think, a tight end for a touchdown. The pass was long, accurate and effortless. He is the future next year I think.

Don''t know if this is meaningful or not but Carroll was playing guard and Lewis was playing tackle. Ryan Burns has thought this would be the best combination on the right side.

Overall I am neither discouraged or encouraged - It looked like a very early practice.
Thank you for the info! Was this inside mainly? (Would make sense, so I assume so, so no blaming the cold for the drops.)

QB -- only thing there is I bet Lindsey is running the 2nd team Offense and so going against the 2nd team Defense, while it's 1st/1st for Max. It can be a significant difference, especially early in spring when newer guys are still trying to learn the defense and playing slow.

OL -- they did the exact same thing last spring. It might be a backup thing more than anything. So they can be each other's primary backup, and you make sure you have your best 5 guys on the field by letting Lewis slide to Tackle and bringing in a stronger guy at Guard rather than a weaker guy at Tackle? Wild guess. It also certainly helps them learn each other's blocking responsibilities.

Burns loudly proclaimed that it was what we would see in Fall, and was dead wrong. I don't see why it would change a year later.

Great write up. Your writing is better than Reusse's below Randy Johnson "the Pride of Huron" Thanks for information.

I haven't even seen a video of Lindsey but he is listed at 6-5 235 while Brosmer is 6-2 210.
Size could matter in our ball control offense.
PJ is praising Lindsey. Mr Diefirma is saying nice things about Lindsey and not so much about Max.

If Lindsey turns out to be better...will he start in the fall? I think for that to happen we'd have a good team because we'd have a real good QB. I also doubt it will but I'm cooling on Max...I did see one pass of his on video. :)

I haven't even seen a video of Lindsey but he is listed at 6-5 235 while Brosmer is 6-2 210.
Size could matter in our ball control offense.
PJ is praising Lindsey. Mr Diefirma is saying nice things about Lindsey and not so much about Max.

If Lindsey turns out to be better...will he start in the fall? I think for that to happen we'd have a good team because we'd have a real good QB. I also doubt it will but I'm cooling on Max...I did see one pass of his on video. :)
Now they tell me.

Thank you for the info! Was this inside mainly? (Would make sense, so I assume so, so no blaming the cold for the drops.)

QB -- only thing there is I bet Lindsey is running the 2nd team Offense and so going against the 2nd team Defense, while it's 1st/1st for Max. It can be a significant difference, especially early in spring when newer guys are still trying to learn the defense and playing slow.

OL -- they did the exact same thing last spring. It might be a backup thing more than anything. So they can be each other's primary backup, and you make sure you have your best 5 guys on the field by letting Lewis slide to Tackle and bringing in a stronger guy at Guard rather than a weaker guy at Tackle? Wild guess. It also certainly helps them learn each other's blocking responsibilities.

Burns loudly proclaimed that it was what we would see in Fall, and was dead wrong. I don't see why it would change a year later.
I think you and I went back and forth about Greg Johnson last season. Looks like he's got a real shot at starting center.

I think you and I went back and forth about Greg Johnson last season. Looks like he's got a real shot at starting center.
This doesn't surprise me at all assuming Cooper is back for another year of starting Guard.

I support this 100% and hope GJ quickly becomes the next JMS.

I know practice is under unique conditions, but did you see any indications of this being a 4-8 team?

Since we're on the subject of OL, Burns trying to triple-down on his hot take that Carroll should be the starting RG:

https://247sports.com/college/minne...-carroll-martes-lewis-right-tackle-229203027/

Trying to make it seem like it's Carroll's ideal position the whole time, and that they just haven't found someone they trust enough at RT to allow him to make the move.
and by triple-down you mean the fact that they've moved him to guard for three straight springs to see if they can get someone to step up at RT?

I suspect that experience and grasping the entire playbook, and perhaps greater ability to make informed reads, favor Max in 2024 even if Lindsay has a physical advantage. Good thing Max is a one-year caretaker, because Lindsay might catch (and pass) him by next season.

Seems clear, if this comment is indicative of the coming season, that we will stay a run-oriented team w/ Max at QB, but (hopefully) with a bit more passing, meaningfully increased completion rates and correct reads, esp. in 3rd down situations. Hopefully, better "touch" and fewer drops, too. Those improvements alone, without going air raid, could make a huge difference in Gophers' record. Might see a shift to significantly more passing in 2025 if Lindsay is indeed "The One."

A short ball controlled passing game is still a passing game. Curious to see our RBs more involved in the passing game. A three down RB is special.

A short ball controlled passing game is still a passing game. Curious to see our RBs more involved in the passing game. A three down RB is special.
Max threw a lot to his RBs last couple years. He has the touch for it. Taylor catching with space could be a serious weapon.

I read Fleck's comments on Lindsey as saying - kid has got a lot of talent but still has a long way to go.

I could be wrong - but the only way that Lindsey plays meaningful snaps this season is for Brosmer to sustain a serious injury.

by meaningful, I mean playing in a game that has not been decided, and doing something other than handing off to the 3rd-string RB.

I read Fleck's comments on Lindsey as saying - kid has got a lot of talent but still has a long way to go.

I could be wrong - but the only way that Lindsey plays meaningful snaps this season is for Brosmer to sustain a serious injury.

by meaningful, I mean playing in a game that has not been decided, and doing something other than handing off to the 3rd-string RB.
Either Lindsey starts game one or he doesn't play...we have learned that much about PJ.

Diefirma: Thanks for your analysis. In my experience it is almost impossible to predict who our next QB will be. Its a long shot to become a starting QB because they recruit at least one per year, but once they pick a starter they do not like to replace them. I don't know if its' because coaches are afraid to admit that they chose the wrong starter, or if they are concerned about destroying the starters confidence if they yank him, or it might be something else. When I was a grad student at the U of South Carolina the Joe Morrison staff put incredible resources into recruiting Todd Ellis out of Greensboro, NC. They got him, and started him all 4 years. He threw for almost 10,000 yards, but he had 66 INT's and only 49 TD's. There were numerous times I thought that he could have been benched, but no one else got a chance those 4 years. Ellis is now the Gamecock play-by-play announcer. I guess that my point is that I have heard a lot about "QB's of the future" and so few of them will really get a chance to show their abilities. Streveler is the most recent Gopher QB who might have played better than Mitch had he gotten a chance. I will be behind whoever emerges at the Gopher QB, but if they stumble someone else might deserve a chance too. Go Gophers!

It's him. You sure try hard to knock the O-line coaches.... did Callahan not pick you for kickball back in the day or something?
No, I have seen (and enjoyed) good line coaches. He doesn’t qualify. If you knew anything about offensive line play, you would agree.

Either Lindsey starts game one or he doesn't play...we have learned that much about PJ.
  • 2017 Fleck used 2 QBs to play about an equal amount, Croft and Rhoda
  • 2018 Zack Annexstad opened the season as starter but Morgan played about half the season
  • 2019-2021 Tanner was the guy
  • 2022 Morgan started the season but injured and then lost job to AK
  • 2023 AK was the guy (Kramer got to play the bowl)

So about half the seasons PJ switched QBs mid-season for one reason or another. Usually the 2nd guy outperformed the first in that year. He's not been shy about allowing his QB1 to lose his job to injury if the other guy outplays. Even with Tanner Morgan.

• 2017 Fleck used 2 QBs to play about an equal amount, Croft and Rhoda
  • 2018 Zack Annexstad opened the season as starter but Morgan played about half the season
  • 2019-2021 Tanner was the guy
  • 2022 Morgan started the season but injured and then lost job to AK
  • 2023 AK was the guy (Kramer got to play the bowl)

So about half the seasons PJ switched QBs mid-season for one reason or another. Usually the 2nd guy outperformed the first in that year. He's not been shy about allowing his QB1 to lose his job to injury if the other guy outplays. Even with Tanner Morgan.
2018 Morgan played because Zack went to the hospital at halftime of the Iowa game.
2019 Zack broke his foot/ankle in fall practice. He never got to play again when he was healthy because PJ didn't want the controversy. And in 2019 Tanner was rollin'. 2020 Zack is healthy, Tanner is floundering. Tanner keeps playing...Zack transfers.
2022 Tanner had on going concussion issues so AK played.
2023 AK quit.
That is the lamest collection of non facts to support a premise I may have ever seen.
Totally disagree...PJ only plays a 2nd quarterback if one gets hurt.
Add in the fact in those 7 years...only in 2019 did the QB play well.

2018 Morgan played because Zack went to the hospital at halftime of the Iowa game.
2019 Zack broke his foot/ankle in fall practice. He never got to play again when he was healthy because PJ didn't want the controversy. And in 2019 Tanner was rollin'. 2020 Zack is healthy, Tanner is floundering. Tanner keeps playing...Zack transfers.
2023 AK quit.
That is the lamest collection of non facts to support a premise I may have ever seen.
You said "either Lindsey starts game 1 or he doesn't play". Injuries are a really big part of the backup getting to show what he can do. As you can see in about half the seasons, the starting QB misses some games. When that happens and the QB2 outplays, PJ is willing to make a lasting change.

As you said, Tanner took the job and started to run with it. And when Morgan got injured, he was cleared to play the bowl and did play only after AK got hurt. Because at that point we all thought AK was TM with a bigger arm and the future.

2023 AK quit.
I agree. Totally lame.

It’s nice to speculate about the QB but are there any difference makers at WR coming up or in? Specifically someone with great speed and preferably decent size that can get down the field.

Top Bottom