Spring Game Set For April 20th! (UPDATED: No Spring Game)

Well, last year for example. Iowa, MN & Wisky all had their Spring Games on April 22nd and somehow despite not ideal weather both Iowa and Wisky both managed to hold their games outside, but yet again here we are in the practice facility another year. I guess it's not really an issue as I don't plan for it. That's just where we are at, some programs have a fan base that look forward to it, whereas most people here just shrug their shoulders and move on with their day if it's canceled.
Yeah it is definitely a different mindset. I am a pretty diehard Gopher football fan but I am not going to go sit in 35 degree weather to watch a spring game. In spring I'm going to Twins, MN United, or Wild games. Something those other 2 towns don't have (unless you count the Brewers for Madison).

Instead of the annual Spring Game this is more like my annual Pet Peeve. The Spring Game is supposedly for the fans, but not with PJ. Somehow the programs in the surrounding states can execute their Spring Games with the same weather we have, but not us. So, done with it and I'll keep my eye out for the cancellation.

I’m sorry you’re so upset about the spring game. I hope it rains and gets moved inside to spite you.

The spring game is for the players, younger players given an opportunity & coaches for improvement, evaluating strengths & weaknesses of the team & recruitment. Fans should put the Gopher football program ahead of their own self interests. "Happy Endings" occur only in Fairy Tales & certain massage parlors.

Well, last year for example. Iowa, MN & Wisky all had their Spring Games on April 22nd and somehow despite not ideal weather both Iowa and Wisky both managed to hold their games outside, but yet again here we are in the practice facility another year. I guess it's not really an issue as I don't plan for it. That's just where we are at, some programs have a fan base that look forward to it, whereas most people here just shrug their shoulders and move on with their day if it's canceled.
Because it sucks when it's outside in cold weather? No one around here cares about The Spring Game anyways.

Have they announced the date of the 1st spring practice? I might have missed it.

Believe it or not:

Madison is 270 miles away, to the southeast,
Iowa City is 280 miles away, mostly to the south.

So you think they have exactly zero different weather than we do?

The spring transfer portal window is April 15 - April 30.

(Grad transfers are allowed to enter the portal at any time they wish.)

So, we will have 10 days post the game for more exits and hopefully (probably) some additional transfer ins.

Believe it or not:

Madison is 270 miles away, to the southeast,
Iowa City is 280 miles away, mostly to the south.

So you think they have exactly zero different weather than we do?
Nope, no disagreement here. There are many times when we each could have completely different weather. However, not on this day. The whole region was seeing crappy weather with both of them seeing some snow during their games. Don't believe it, just check out the Big1G video archive on YouTube.

Nope, no disagreement here. There are many times when we each could have completely different weather. However, not on this day. The whole region was seeing crappy weather with both of them seeing some snow during their games. Don't believe it, just check out the Big1G video archive on YouTube.
Correct. Last year the weather was pretty similar in all 3 locations. I would say in a normal year though that at that time of year the difference in location could mean a 5 or 10 degree difference.

Like I said in my other post, it's just a different situation here. The Gophers don't have as strong of a following to begin with due to many reasons that have been rehashed here multiple times. But just look at this spring...you'll have the Twins and MN United just getting underway (Twins fresh off a playoff series win and MN United with a new coach) and the Wolves for sure will be in a playoff race and maybe the Wild. Our attention here is divided and a meaningless spring game is pretty far down the priority list.

Correct. Last year the weather was pretty similar in all 3 locations. I would say in a normal year though that at that time of year the difference in location could mean a 5 or 10 degree difference.

Like I said in my other post, it's just a different situation here. The Gophers don't have as strong of a following to begin with due to many reasons that have been rehashed here multiple times. But just look at this spring...you'll have the Twins and MN United just getting underway (Twins fresh off a playoff series win and MN United with a new coach) and the Wolves for sure will be in a playoff race and maybe the Wild. Our attention here is divided and a meaningless spring game is pretty far down the priority list.
Exactly.... UM is not in an College town. There's other things to do unlike the other schools.

Sure.

Fleck does things his own way, and I often disagree with them.

We live by him, and we die by him.

Exactly.... UM is not in an College town. There's other things to do unlike the other schools.
Have said it over and over: the main U campus should have been in Rochester.

Then the U of MN - Mayo Medical Center would have been the best university research medical center in the nation, and it would’ve been a true college town.

Far enough away from the cities that Cities high school kids didn’t feel like they weren’t getting far enough away from mom and dad.

What could’ve been

Then the U of MN - Mayo Medical Center would have been the best university research medical center in the nation, and it would’ve been a true college town.

Far enough away from the cities that Cities high school kids didn’t feel like they weren’t getting far enough away from mom and dad.

What could’ve been
The only thing this would change is decreasing attendance at sporting events because it's a longer trip for people from the cities to get to games.

The only thing this would change is decreasing attendance at sporting events because it's a longer trip for people from the cities to get to games.
More locals would attend. An hour each way is nothing for football.

Madison and Iowa City do fine. I think you’d be wrong. Rochester would’ve been bigger in this scenario as well, so can’t compare current populations.

Sure.

Fleck does things his own way, and I often disagree with them.

We live by him, and we die by him.
You guys always blaming Fleck for EVERYTHING. The players themselves don't want to have to play in bad weather and I don't blame them. Especially if the crowd won't be enough to fill up a 1/4 of the stadium. Again UM does not reside in an College town so unless they finish in the top 25 college rankings they will never fill up the stadium for their Spring Game.

You guys always blaming Fleck for EVERYTHING. The players themselves don't want to have to play in bad weather and I don't blame them. Especially if the crowd won't be enough to fill up a 1/4 of the stadium. Again UM does not reside in a College town so unless they finish in the top 25 college rankings they will never fill up the stadium for their Spring Game.
Your points are fine.

Fleck still made the decision. If he chose to play it outside, then that’s the players job.

It’s over. I’ve moved on. Looking forward to 70 degree temps this year!

The 2nd picture in this Tweet

indicates there’s a practice on Apr 23.

So either that’s a practice after the Spring Game, which maybe is normal for Fleck(?), or the game is later.

So either that’s a practice after the Spring Game, which maybe is normal for Fleck(?), or the game is later.
Game is April 20th. I don't know what else to tell you.

Game is April 20th. I don't know what else to tell you.
So given your confidence, what will the format be and will the public be invited? Your information still potentially conflicts with what I have been told will happen that day but no final clarity yet.

So given your confidence, what will the format be and will the public be invited? Your information still potentially conflicts with what I have been told will happen that day but no final clarity yet.
I'm sure the public is invited but I don't know the format as of yet. Maybe in the next couple of weeks. The kid's are on Spring Break this week.

What could’ve been
Interesting. Ironically, as a Rochester native, I recall hearing that Rochester was the largest city in the country without an accredited 4-year college. That would have been in the late 70's or early '80's. I'm trying to imagine how different it would have been because Rochester has absolutely none of the flavor of a college town. Selecting Minneapolis IMHO was a great move in the sense of recruiting students and faculty. Places like Champaign and State College have little allure for students.

Places like Champaign and State College have little allure for students.
Iowa City, Madison, ... quite a good number of non major metro locations for large schools.

How do they do it??

My recollection is they discuss the game and correct some things they didn't like in the practice after the game. Everybody only gets so many spring meetings/practices and this setup follows guidelines as we interpret them.

Iowa City, Madison, ... quite a good number of non major metro locations for large schools.

How do they do it??
Madison is not some small area. There are close to 800k people in the Metro area. It is the 61st biggest CSA in the country. Iowa City yes, but Madison certainly feels like an urban area if you have lived there. Will give you it is more of a college town, but Madison and Iowa City are not the same.

Top Bottom