Spring Game Details.

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-spring-game-to-pit-white-vs-gold-in-an-actual-game/373863751/

By Joe Christensen
March 29, 2016 — 11:40am

Coach Tracy Claeys had said the Gophers annual spring game would be more like a real game this year. On Tuesday, the athletics department announced the details.

On April 9, the Gophers will take the field at TCF Bank Stadium at 12:45. They'll stretch, warm up and run a few drills before dividing into two teams -- White and Gold. The quarterbacks will be wearing the gray alternate uniforms that the Gophers wore in their loss to Michigan last Halloween.

The Gophers' previous two spring games featured an offense vs. defense format, so this will be closer to the real thing.

The game will have traditional scoring and is scheduled to have two 40-minute halves with a 10-minute halftime. The Gophers will use a running clock except for the final five minutes of the second half.

gray - or anthracite?

My prediction for the Spring Game - one of the backup QB's - could be Croft, could be Green - will make a couple of nice throws, and we will spend all summer listening to people calling for Leidner to be benched because Croft/ or Green / is "clearly" the superior QB.

Just remember the Spring game at St. Thomas a few years ago. Marqueis Gray had a nice day - arguably outplayed Weber - and a lot of people (including myself) were calling for Gray to be the starter. We know how that worked out. Let's not put too much stock in the spring game - especially since this team is putting in a new offense. I suspect things will look a LOT different in the fall.

gray - or anthracite?

My prediction for the Spring Game - one of the backup QB's - could be Croft, could be Green - will make a couple of nice throws, and we will spend all summer listening to people calling for Leidner to be benched because Croft/ or Green / is "clearly" the superior QB.

Just remember the Spring game at St. Thomas a few years ago. Marqueis Gray had a nice day - arguably outplayed Weber - and a lot of people (including myself) were calling for Gray to be the starter. We know how that worked out. Let's not put too much stock in the spring game - especially since this team is putting in a new offense. I suspect things will look a LOT different in the fall.

And we'll be saying Mitch is our boy, all season

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/f6pOe5e8ShRhS" width="480" height="440" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/deal-with-it-dance-askreddit-f6pOe5e8ShRhS">via GIPHY</a></p>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Love everything but tailgate lots opening at 11am. WTF?

gray - or anthracite?

yer not wrong but Claeys will play any player HE believes gives them the best chance to win. Claeys will not defer to the other coaches like Kill did.

Love everything but tailgate lots opening at 11am. WTF?
I would imagine the p.lots will be open sooner like they were last year especially since there are other events going on that day that may use those lots as well.

yer not wrong but Claeys will play any player HE believes gives them the best chance to win. Claeys will not defer to the other coaches like Kill did.

Give it up. Leidner will play every snap this year unless he's injured or we're way ahead/behind. Deal with it.

Give it up. Leidner will play every snap this year unless he's injured or we're way ahead/behind. Deal with it.
While I agree Leidner is our guy, and will have a great season this coming season, I wouldn't be so sure he will take every snap. Ideally, no, that way we can save Green and Croft both a year of eligibility, but there is also benefit in getting at least your second string guy some snaps, especially if it looks like they may become the starter net year. My prediction, Leidner starts every game, and takes every snap unless we are up by an insane amount (see iowa two years ago), then our second string guy will go in.

My prediction, Leidner starts every game, and takes every snap unless we are up by an insane amount (see iowa two years ago), then our second string guy will go in.

So we agree.

Go Gophers!!

Best thing for the program is Leidner playing every competitive snap this season. But I don't think his leash is as long with Claeys as it was with Kill. If he limps out of the gate in the non conference like he did last year I would expect to see other guys taking snaps. I'm a Mitch fan and hope he does well and helps the team have a great season, but if Claeys was willing to dump two guys who he worked with for 10+ years to change the direction the team is headed, then no player has enough clout to perform poorly and hold their spot.

Best thing for the program is Leidner playing every competitive snap this season. But I don't think his leash is as long with Claeys as it was with Kill. If he limps out of the gate in the non conference like he did last year I would expect to see other guys taking snaps. I'm a Mitch fan and hope he does well and helps the team have a great season, but if Claeys was willing to dump two guys who he worked with for 10+ years to change the direction the team is headed, then no player has enough clout to perform poorly and hold their spot.

I think that depends on what Claeys sees with the other guys. They have a new OC too, that has to lengthen the leash a bit. I mean we have some prospects but if they're looking like they need work in practice ... Mitch is still gonna play.

I'm not sure the leash changes at all, nor does shortening it do much.

Go Gophers!!

Whoa! Mitch Leidner to do radio commentary! That's pretty cool.

I'm gonna bring my headphones!

I remember the good days when weather got its own thread?

Very happy it is more like a game - wish they'd go all out and do a real game, as Nebraska does.

So we changing the turf out in the next 4 months. Are the Vikes stands removed?

I'm in your boat. He's going with best man if Mitch fails early....which he won't.

Top Bottom