Sports Illustrated: Reporter identifies flaws in mascots, says it should be Minnesota Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrels

BleedGopher

Reaction score
What's funny here (outside of the ridiculousness of this article) is that the reporter sent an email to the Gophers AD and never heard back...what the reporter doesn't mention/realize is she sent the AD an email smack dab during the academic scandal...no wonder we didn't respond, in addition to the oddity of the question.

Per SI:

Back in 1999, when I was a Ph.D. student at the University of Washington, my then sports-fanatic boyfriend got us tickets to the NCAA tournament’s first-round games in Seattle. I hadn’t really followed college basketball; I’d never filled out a bracket or understood what the “madness” was all about. I’d grown up in more of an NFL house. So, I was just going for the experience, not rooting for any team in particular—which is probably why I became so enthralled with the mascots.

My research at the time was focused on small mammals, like rodents, and so I got super excited when I saw one of the teams playing was Minnesota, nicknamed the Golden Gophers. A college team whose mascot was a rodent! Suddenly, Minnesota was going to be the highlight of my tournament. And at the start of that game, this big, golden furry thing comes marching out, riling up the crowd.

Then it turned around, and I could see its backside. And that’s when the disappointment set in.

I remember screaming: “That’s not a gopher!”

First, Goldy Gopher has a big, floofy tail. But a real gopher has a little nub tail, which is characteristic of subterranean rodents. I thought for a moment that this mascot might actually be a beaver, because its tail is almost flat and paddle-like. But a beaver’s tail isn’t furry; it’s scaly.

I looked at the color pattern on Goldy’s tail and body more carefully, and I thought it might, in fact, be a chipmunk—but a chipmunk has stripes that go down the center of its back and tail. Goldy has stripes on the side. Eventually I became convinced: He’s actually a golden-mantled ground squirrel, which has a fluffy tail and stripes on its sides. The Minnesota Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrels—that has a nice ring to it, right?

Go GOPHERS!!

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet”

🙂😎

brings a new meaning to the term "tailgate", this controversy needs to be laid to rest, unless this ground squirrel is poisonous to badgers : )

This pointy-head scientist needs to stick to studying real mammals, and leave the critique of fake fur constructed mascot costumes alone.

What's funny here (outside of the ridiculousness of this article) is that the reporter sent an email to the Gophers AD and never heard back...what the reporter doesn't mention/realize is she sent the AD an email smack dab during the academic scandal...no wonder we didn't respond, in addition to the oddity of the question.

Per SI:
I remember screaming: “That’s not a gopher. Eventually I became convinced: He’s actually a golden-mantled ground squirrel, which has a fluffy tail and stripes on its sides. The Minnesota Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrels—that has a nice ring to it, right?
Go GOPHERS!!
Any competent mammalogist, Harvard or otherwise, knows Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrels cannot spin their heads. Go fish!!

Has she ever seen a "Golden Gopher"? Obviously this is a unique animal to the University well-known for its ability to spin its head and fondness to dress in human clothing. Sheesh
I've even heard talk of them being able to ice skate.

If she can find one ground squirrel capable of ice skating, I'll listen. Until then, DINK.

Per SI:

Back in 1999, when I was a Ph.D. student at the University of Washington, my then sports-fanatic boyfriend got us tickets to the NCAA tournament’s first-round games in Seattle. I hadn’t really followed college basketball; I’d never filled out a bracket or understood what the “madness” was all about. I’d grown up in more of an NFL house. So, I was just going for the experience, not rooting for any team in particular—which is probably why I became so enthralled with the mascots.

My research at the time was focused on small mammals, like rodents, and so I got super excited when I saw one of the teams playing was Minnesota, nicknamed the Golden Gophers. A college team whose mascot was a rodent! Suddenly, Minnesota was going to be the highlight of my tournament. And at the start of that game, this big, golden furry thing comes marching out, riling up the crowd.

Then it turned around, and I could see its backside. And that’s when the disappointment set in.

I remember screaming: “That’s not a gopher!”

First, Goldy Gopher has a big, floofy tail. But a real gopher has a little nub tail, which is characteristic of subterranean rodents. I thought for a moment that this mascot might actually be a beaver, because its tail is almost flat and paddle-like. But a beaver’s tail isn’t furry; it’s scaly.

I looked at the color pattern on Goldy’s tail and body more carefully, and I thought it might, in fact, be a chipmunk—but a chipmunk has stripes that go down the center of its back and tail. Goldy has stripes on the side. Eventually I became convinced: He’s actually a golden-mantled ground squirrel, which has a fluffy tail and stripes on its sides. The Minnesota Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrels—that has a nice ring to it, right?

Go GOPHERS!!
File under: First World Problems/Karen Problems.

Paraphrasing Ghostbusters: "OK...so...she's a fictional rodent."

Goldy is not a golden-mantled ground squirrel because they are native to western United States and Canada. Goldy is a Minnesota thirteen-lined ground squirrel, which is the ubiquitous Minnesota "gopher." Not all of Goldy's lines show because he/she is a blond(e) like many Minnesota Scandinavians.

Looks the same to me.

Attachments

• b81f4df67345c4d2e11497b87a41b246.jpg
    b81f4df67345c4d2e11497b87a41b246.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2
  • c70d5af6b12af6df5e142a644cbe7bd2--ground-squirrel-kansas.jpg
    c70d5af6b12af6df5e142a644cbe7bd2--ground-squirrel-kansas.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2

aCBCOTF.jpg

Top Bottom