Sports Huddle: Coach Kill Summary - 11/27/11

DL65

Reaction score
An upbeat coach Kill commented on yesterday's game (27-7 victory) and the past season:

1) Sid, "What did you accomplish?" Kill responded, "Happy for the senior class; they've been through a lot." (He referenced the many coaching changes and systems that they experienced in their years at the U.) They (seniors) helped to move the program forward.

2) Sid asked if he'd miss the seniors: Kill said, "We'll miss them a lot." He then started talking about yesterday's play, "We were really good in the first two quarters." Back to the seniors, "Once you start understanding, you lose the seniors." (By his voice and words his pride for the senior class was apparent.)

3) Sid asked about Gray and the lack of experience at the position coming into this season: Kill, "Gifted athlete." "Quarterback is one of the hardest positions to learn . . . he's gotten better each week." Kill also mentioned dropped passes by the receivers yesterday, which, of course, didn't help Gray or move the chains.

4) Sid asked about line protection: "I told Limegrover, this may be your best coaching job." They've had to make a lot of line adjustments because of injuries, which was the downside . . . on the upside, Minnesota played a lot young guys that gained valuable experience that bodes well for the future. "We have to live in the weight room and get stronger."

5) Sid asked about the play of Kirksey and Jacobs, yesterday: "Both had great seasons." He then cited the play of Cameron Botticelli and Ra'Shede Hageman (have added to the position). Kill then said they're recruiting to improve the position.

6) Redshirted 18 or 19 first year players. Without giving any names he said, "They have great futures."

7) Yesterday's video (post game), "No Minnesota Nice:" Kill said he told the team there are limits to Minnesota Nice. He went on to say, "After the Wisconsin game I told the team sometimes we're too nice." "When you put on the jersey with Minnesota written across the front you've got to play with pride and not be so nice." He said that's especially true when you play at home . . . no one should come into your house and act like they own it (referenced Wisconsin doing just that). You have to win your home games.

8) Sid asked about Ra'Shede: "Ra'Shede is still learning . . . had good moments." You may be big and strong, but you still have to learn the position (not negative in his comment).

9) Sid asked what redshirts can help next year: Kill responded with one name, Foster Bush. "Foster Bush one of the best offensive lineman, period." He did not want to use his redshirt. He didn't mention any other names; however, he did say there are 4 or 5 offensive linemen that will contribute as well as 2 DE, 2 linebackers, and 2 WR. "How much they contribute is up to them."

10) Henderson: "What he's done is what we're to do here." He was complimentary about Henderson's play, "A walkon that gave everything he had." He also cited Kim Royston and referenced his past: overcoming a serious injury, a player with the right attitude that always played hard, and was helpful (leadershiip).

11) Wettstein: He's confident, has a big leg, and fight back. Didn't play football in high school and, as a result, lacked experience.

12) Sid asked about the punting woes: "I don't talk about kids (negatively)." "We've got to get better." Coach Kill once again said he takes responsibility for the punting problems.

13) Sid said the team has gotten better each week: Kill said following the Nebraska game they changed their practice routines. They became much more physical in the practices. They practiced hard the last five weeks (he spoke favorably of the players, the players didn't quit on them (coaches)).

14)Text messages and Dave's observation: Dave cited better clock management, no snap/exchange problems and only 2 penalties in yesterday's game. Texts: recruiting a speed back and redshirting:
Kill said the team has been improving and yesterday they played hard without mental errors. Kill said he couldn't be specific about recruiting a speed back; however, he said recruiting is going well. As to what consititues a redshirt, Kill quickly said that they couldn't have played during the season.

15) Brendan Beal: He's in rehab and he's a hard worker. "We'll know more in 2 or 3 months."

16) Receivers holding onto the ball, or lack thereof: Continuity is extremely important. Young players need to practice winter, spring and summer (throwing and catching). Need to get together w/o the coaches and practice, practice, practice.

16) At program's end, Sid said on Wednesday the defensive coordinator told him, "We're going to beat those guys."

No reference to Kill being on next week; however, I'll tune-in and if he is, I'll write a summary.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks again! Too many kids and distractions to listen to the show.

Truly appreciate your efforts all season.

DL, I was able to listen today, finally, and your summary was spot on. Thanks for all of these posts on the Kill/Sports Huddle.

Thanks for the recap. In general I like listening to Kill but I am getting a little tired of him using the line about that goes "I don't want to throw anyone under the bus....I take responsibility for (whatever it is)" when it is very clear who is talking about and therefore he basically is throwing that person under the bus without saying their name. Just a minor irritation with his way of making comments. I guess I don't want him to flat out rip guys but at the same time I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that Oreseske had a very inconsistent year and that he needs to work his but off in the off season to figure out how to avoid having those bad punts.

Thanks for the Summary!

So it sounds like Henderson won't be back next year even though he is listed as a Jr. on the Gophersports web page. Must be he is graduating and not being offered a scholarship or wants to get on with his career.

DL65, I appreciate your summaries. I enjoy reading Coach Kill's comments without the patronizing comments from Mr. H. Please continue when possible.

It seems that Beal cannot stay healthy. I don't think we can rely on him playing next season or at least not playing a full season.

Dave Mona said about 11:50 that Coach Kill will be on every week for now.

station19,

Thanks. I'll listen and write a summary.

Go Gophers!!

6) Redshirted 18 or 19 first year players. Without giving any names he said, "They have great futures."

9) Sid asked what redshirts can help next year: Kill responded with one name, Foster Bush. "Foster Bush one of the best offensive lineman, period." He did not want to use his redshirt. He didn't mention any other names; however, he did say there are 4 or 5 offensive linemen that will contribute as well as 2 DE, 2 linebackers, and 2 WR. "How much they contribute is up to them."

Thanks DL!

From my count, the RS players are:
Bauducco, Bjorklund, Bush, Campion, Cockran, Foreman, Matilus, Montgomery, McAvoy, McAvoy, Westerhaus, Mortell (WO), PLanter (WO), Heifort (WO), Bronson (WO), Christenson (WO), Schultz (WO), Trucilla (WO).

I found it interesting that he has noted 2 DE's. If there are 2 RS DE's that must mean that Bauducco is playing DE now, maybe Bronson?

Also he has mentioned a couple RS WR's on occasions. One of them must be Trucilla but who is the other WR? Foreman? I wouldn't think it would be Foreman, he isn't built like a WR at all. But I do find it interesting that he has mentioned RS WR's a couple times, maybe Trucilla has been looking really good in practice.

Thanks for the recap. In general I like listening to Kill but I am getting a little tired of him using the line about that goes "I don't want to throw anyone under the bus....I take responsibility for (whatever it is)" when it is very clear who is talking about and therefore he basically is throwing that person under the bus without saying their name. Just a minor irritation with his way of making comments. I guess I don't want him to flat out rip guys but at the same time I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that Oreseske had a very inconsistent year and that he needs to work his but off in the off season to figure out how to avoid having those bad punts.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I thought that I heard Kill had Orseske change the way he punted, from a Rugby style under Brewster to a Traditional style. If that is actually what happened, I can see why Kill is saying it is his fault. Also, I have heard on many occasions that Special Teams is Kill's thing in practice so any problems in that area, he is taking the blame for not coaching/preparing them well enough. I get what you are saying about the not throw the kids under the bus, but everyone knows who the players are that he is talking about.

Thanks DL!

From my count, the RS players are:
Bauducco, Bjorklund, Bush, Campion, Cockran, Foreman, Matilus, Montgomery, McAvoy, McAvoy, Westerhaus, Mortell (WO), PLanter (WO), Heifort (WO), Bronson (WO), Christenson (WO), Schultz (WO), Trucilla (WO).

I found it interesting that he has noted 2 DE's. If there are 2 RS DE's that must mean that Bauducco is playing DE now, maybe Bronson?

Also he has mentioned a couple RS WR's on occasions. One of them must be Trucilla but who is the other WR? Foreman? I wouldn't think it would be Foreman, he isn't built like a WR at all. But I do find it interesting that he has mentioned RS WR's a couple times, maybe Trucilla has been looking really good in practice.

Don't think Hartman (LS) played either. Thought it was great that Matilus was named Defensive Practice Team player of the year at the banquet.

Foreman is a possiblility at WR, how about Peter Westerhaus? We are losing only two LB (Sveum and Tinsley), leaving us with 15, plus 5 are coming in. Westerhaus is 6'-3", 220 lbs. and has great hands and ball presence. He's my pick...

Don't think Hartman (LS) played either. Thought it was great that Matilus was named Defensive Practice Team player of the year at the banquet.

Foreman is a possiblility at WR, how about Peter Westerhaus? We are losing only two LB (Sveum and Tinsley), leaving us with 15, plus 5 are coming in. Westerhaus is 6'-3", 220 lbs. and has great hands and ball presence. He's my pick...

I've only seen Westerhaus play a couple of times, but I don't think he has enough speed for WR. Maybe TE.

I was thinking about it, and I think he means Trucilla and Fruechte. Fruechte is technically redshirting this season at RCC, and he'll be here in Janurary, so I could see how Kill could expect him to come in and play.

Trucilla is getting RS right now.

Good for Matilus. He has a chance to be our starting MLB next season.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't discount Foreman at QB. From what I've heard people say he actually looks pretty good throwing the ball.

In IT for the ∫e ͯ;466278 said:
I'm not 100% positive on this, but I thought that I heard Kill had Orseske change the way he punted, from a Rugby style under Brewster to a Traditional style. If that is actually what happened, I can see why Kill is saying it is his fault. Also, I have heard on many occasions that Special Teams is Kill's thing in practice so any problems in that area, he is taking the blame for not coaching/preparing them well enough. I get what you are saying about the not throw the kids under the bus, but everyone knows who the players are that he is talking about.
Correct, but missing some key context. Brews staff actually made the change first. Oreseske wasn't a rugby punter coming into MN. He troubles began after the change. Kill just put him back to punting the way he'd always done it.

Correct, but missing some key context. Brews staff actually made the change first. Oreseske wasn't a rugby punter coming into MN. He troubles began after the change. Kill just put him back to punting the way he'd always done it.

Ahhhh yes, I did forget to put that part it. But I knew/hear that part of it as well. Thanks for the correction/addition.

Not hard to see how all the changes would have messed with his head. Hopefully Coach Kill can get that worked out. If not, sounds like Peter Mortell will be a good candidate.

Top Bottom