Sports Huddle: Coach Kill, 8/21/11

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill was in a coaches meeting focusing on special teams when the phone connection was made.

Coach Kill's comments and responses to Dave Mona and Sid Hartman questions during today's Sports Huddle:

Talked briefly about the crowd at yesterday's scrimmage. According to Sid and Dave there were more people at yesterday's practice than at the spring game.

1) Yesterday's scrimmage: Big improvement from Tuesday's scrimmage.

2) David Cobb: Has done a good job as a freshman. He has good size and speed . . . I've been on him but he continues to show improvement. Kill went on to say he was impressed with Lamonte Edwards: "Both (Cobb and Edwards) had a nice scrimmage." "We know what Bennett can do." (His comment about Bennett was positive. Wanted to see what the freshman and redshirt freshman can do.)

3) Foster Bush: Freshman OL from Wisconsin. We threw a lot at him . . . struggled at times, but he also did some good things, and he's improving (not making the same mistakes again and again).

4) Sid called the freshmen class a good recruiting squad: Coach Kill said they'll have to do more than we'd like because of the lack of depth. Some freshmen will have to help on the special teams.

5) Shortell: Comes from a good family, his father played in college, and he played in a good high school program. "He's gotten better each day." "He doesn't feel sorry for himself (when coach Kill gets on him or when he makes a mistake)."

6) Thieren Cockran: "TC is 220 and a great recruit." Tremendous future . . . he plays hard. He's light now but eventually should play around 255. (Sounds as though he won't be redshirting.)

7) Tommy Olson: He comes from a great family, has football smarts and plays with passion. "He'll have to help us."

8) Defensive line: Coach Jeff Phelps, defensive line coach, has done a great job, especially given the youth on the team (freshmen and redshirted freshmen). Kill then cited Ben Perry, D.L. Wilhite, Kendall Gregory-McGhee (went to North Carolina to be fitted with a special shoe and is now on the field), Michael Amaefula, Matt Garin (needs to get healthy), Cameron Botticelli, and Ra'Shede Hageman. They're getting better. They need to step it up . . . a lot of work to do. Extremely young.

9) Linebackers: Need 8 or 9 players for different situations. Players referenced - Mike Rallis, Gary Tinsley, Keanon Cooper, Brendan Beal, Aaron Hill, Ryan Grant, Spencer Reeves, Quinn Bauducco (speaking rapidly and I missed a name or two).

10) Defensive backs: Kim Royston is the leader. Stoudermire is getting better and better (still learning the position), Christyn Lewis has been a pleasant surprise. He cited Shady Salamon for his play yesterday and then mentioned James Manuel and Chase Haviland and freshmen Derrick Wells, Cedric Thompson, and Grayson Levine. Michael Carter played tired yesterday.

11) Kicking game: Players are learning how important the kicking game is . . . presently they don't have a kicking game mentality. Punted the ball well yesterday; however, kicking in the overtime yesterday was not good.

A lot of names given (rapid fire) and I didn't get the name of a linebacker that they mentioned for a sentence or two. Name was mentioned once and I, regrettably, didn't get it.

Go Gophers!!

Did he make any comments regarding Marqueis? I follow the Gophers from afar and everything I've been reading lately makes it sound like his passing abililities are no where near what we would need to win games against top 25 teams. Sounds like he doesn't know where to go with the ball and that his throws are indecisive and inaccurate. I really hope he blossoms into an awesome QB and I've been very excited about him since Kill announced he would be moving back to QB but I don't like what I'm reading. I'll be at the colesium for the USC game. Go Gophs!

Marqueis Gray's name was not mentioned.

Only quarterback mentioned was Max Shortell.

Not a lot of discussion regarding the scrimmage yesterday. The kicking game and the running backs Cobb and Edwards. were the exceptions.

Go Gophers!!

The local media is already getting the sheep to think gray can't be the QB.

Did he make any comments regarding Marqueis? I follow the Gophers from afar and everything I've been reading lately makes it sound like his passing abililities are no where near what we would need to win games against top 25 teams. Sounds like he doesn't know where to go with the ball and that his throws are indecisive and inaccurate. I really hope he blossoms into an awesome QB and I've been very excited about him since Kill announced he would be moving back to QB but I don't like what I'm reading. I'll be at the colesium for the USC game. Go Gophs!

Gray is anything but indecisive, and knows where to go with the ball. He might end up as maybe a 50% passer for the year, but he could easily rush for 1000 yards. The offensive play selection you see now is not the offensive play selection they will be running for the next two weeks in practice (out of sight). Limegrover will call plays that help Q succeed, not frustrate him. Q will be Billy Cockerham squared.

Not accurate

I think you're reacting to the posts of a few Gopher fans and as a fanbase, we always tend to get nervous about these things.

From my observation, Gray moves reasonably quickly through his reads and makes pretty good decisions. His arm strength is solid, but he has struggled at times with accuracy. This is to be expected. Accuracy will come with more and more reps. Remember that the scrimmage yesterday was the end of the beginning of fall practice with a vanilla playbook and they have another 2 weeks of closed pratices to iron out kinks and implement a game plan for USC.

The thing about MarQuise is he can beat them with his feet. What he needs is the running backs to be a threat. Given that avoid the sacks, hit the open reciver, or just run baby.

The thing about MarQuise is he can beat them with his feet. What he needs is the running backs to be a threat. Given that avoid the sacks, hit the open reciver, or just run baby.

Right, as good as MarQueis is on his feet, if the running game can be a factor it opens EVERYTHING up. Suddenly he can play fake and either find an open receiver or pick up 20 on the bootleg.

Gray is anything but indecisive, and knows where to go with the ball. He might end up as maybe a 50% passer for the year, but he could easily rush for 1000 yards. The offensive play selection you see now is not the offensive play selection they will be running for the next two weeks in practice (out of sight). Limegrover will call plays that help Q succeed, not frustrate him. Q will be Billy Cockerham squared.

Billy Cockerham is one of my favorites. I became a huge fan when came in vs. Michigan State and led us to that great comeback win. If Q plays better than BC we are in good shape at the QB position.

I am sooo excited about this offense. If our young linemen can be brought up to speed by what is an outstanding group of coaches, we will have something.

Kill is making me crazy. He's supposed to be very realistic but keeps saying some prettystrong things about some key positions - running backs and O Linemen. If we can rush it will make MG's running and passing very effective.

I'm starting to feel guilty about my optimism. Never a problem under Brew.

Thanks for the responses, it's good to get some insight from some of you guys. I feel a little better and hope you guys are right. I've been following the Gopher Hole pretty religiously since Brewster was finally fired and really appreciate all the good info. I live in Mesa, AZ and like I said, I'll be at the game vs USC. I can't wait. I'm glad we have a coach who is tough, smart, a little fiery, and will hold people accountable. Can't wait for the season. I think if we can get good QB play (and stay relatively healthy) we can go 6-6 or maybe surprise college football and go 7-5. I've been saying since early this summer we're going to beat Wisconsin this year. My buddy back in MN said if that happens he'll wear a Gopher Footall shirt and loudly traipse through Wisconsin. I told him I'll be mailing him the shirt when it happens! Go Gophs!!!

The local media? lol. What about his actual performances in practices & scrimmages, couldn't have anything to do with those?
Gray wasn't a great passer by any means, from what I saw at practice/scrimmage he has the best grasp of what limegrover is trying to do by far. My opinion is only my opinion, but he threw the ball much better than Shortelle on Saturday. I am not going to freak out in panic because the QB of a likely under .500 team isn't going to be an all American.

Gray and Footwork...

Speaking of feet, I think Marquise needs some serious work on footwork in the pocket. That has a big effect on his accuracy. Watch him when he throws.....feet and shoulders. I hope the second half of fall practice he can develop some good habits that will stick in the heat of battle.

We all see it differently

Gray wasn't a great passer by any means, from what I saw at practice/scrimmage he has the best grasp of what limegrover is trying to do by far. My opinion is only my opinion, but he threw the ball much better than Shortelle on Saturday. I am not going to freak out in panic because the QB of a likely under .500 team isn't going to be an all American.

Rosey we almost agree (liked your Gray stance in a different thread) but I am more optimistic. I think Gray may make someones's All American team. He may get some Heisman votes. That's the guy I see inside that jersey when I watch him practice.

Pretty confident barring injuries to Gray and to our other top 10 experienced people on the Gophers that we are a 500 or better team. A lot of the reason that happens would be Gray.

If Gray gets hurt it wouldn't surprise me to see Foreman get a shot.

Gophers may just beat USC. We gotta get through the first quarter and be in the game....can't snowball on us.

Top Bottom