Sports Huddle: Coach Kill, 7/24/11

DL65

Reaction score
It was a brief appearance by coach Kill on the Sports Huddle today and with some repetition from previous shows. Mike Max was filling in for Dave Mona and asked the first question:

1) Max asked about Larry Fitzgerald (Kill was at his football camp on the U this week): "Fine young man for the game." Kill then briefly talked about his work ethic, skills, etc. and then spoke highly of a receiver coach at the camp (Sullivan - didn't hear his first name). He's known the coach since his days at Saginaw Valley St.

2) Academics: Academic staff, coaches and players did a great job since January (GPA spring semester 2.87). Good average for 100 football players; however, "We'll strive to do better."

3) Meeting with defensive coaches this past week: "At this time of the year I spend most of my time with the offense, but I'm a hands-on type of guy." So he spent some time with the defensive coaches (as a result of a question by Sid). Kill also said he's been looking at team's first opponent, USC, as well as focusing on the punting game.

4) Videos: Great teaching tool, "Can't hide on video." Kill went on to say how all coaches are busy trying to ascertain what players can perform. Only those that can perform will see the field. Stressed the mental aspect of football.

5) Football smarts: They can't play if they're not mentally (knowledge of the game) equipped. In short, this repetitive question was in response to Sid's query), yes, football smarts is extremely important!

6) Recruiting: "We hope to keep those that have committed verbally. National recruits can go back and forth on their commitments/decisions. Again, he stressed the importance of having those that want to be here and play for the U.

7) JC football: Talked about his many relationships that he's developed in the JC coaching circles. He's known 8 or 9 JC head coaches for many, many years. Will take JC players, but wants only those that can contribute immedieately; shortage of eligibility years is the major factor in being extremely selective in choosing JC players. He did mention Malcolm Moulton of Fort Scott, KS JC. He has three years left. He then went on to say he's excited to see not only the JC players and their adjustment to Big 10 football but all of the players (new recruits and veterans) as well.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL. Listened today, thought it was kind of mailed in. Too bad Mike and Sid had not thought of any new interesting questions to ask. Other than talking about Fitzgerald it was old stuff. Seems to me questions on the extra camp days would be good, team and coaches prep for upcoming camp might be interesting... Etc.

Thanks DL. Listened today, thought it was kind of mailed in. Too bad Mike and Sid had not thought of any new interesting questions to ask. Other than talking about Fitzgerald it was old stuff. Seems to me questions on the extra camp days would be good, team and coaches prep for upcoming camp might be interesting... Etc.

Good job DL. I usually here at least some of the interview, and your concise version is always right on the money.

Top Bottom