Spit Ball Some Transfer Gets Here

I think Ihnen is a wing not a 4.
Why do you think that?

Unless he's a completely new player, he isn't a very good ball handler and he isn't a very good shooter. What he has done well in his career is defend post players and rebound (statistically). From the eye test, he appears to be a decent shooter for 4 (but the shots aren't going in) but he would be a minus shooter for a three.

I just think playing him at the wing will highlight what he cannot do and minimize what he can do. I think there is a player there but we can't just plug him into a wing because that's what we need (IMO).

Honestly, is it just that he is an athletic guy and does shoot 3s?

as i said.....as it stands now....thats who we have right now....
and i have said all along that a big wing was a need on the transfer front and still is

and i will add that JOJ held his own as a 3 last year as a true freshman. and i think Betts is more a 3 than a 4 as well.

JOJ was basically our starting C because for some reason Ben decided that was a better option than Payne. He was guarding the opponents big man and not their 3.

Betts is also definitely a 4.

Betts is the back up to Garcia, but too good to not start. So a 3.

Yep- you have been watching them practice. Got it.

Just like last summer when I was repeatedly told I had no idea how terrible this year's team was going to be due to their lack of guards. How'd that play out?

The good news is Ben has a few weeks yet to land a few impact guards/3's. But if he doesn't, and JOJ/Betts/Ihnen are our 3's, we are going to at the bottom of the B1G again.

Just like last summer when I was repeatedly told I had no idea how terrible this year's team was going to be due to their lack of guards. How'd that play out?

The good news is Ben has a few weeks yet to land a few impact guards/3's. But if he doesn't, and JOJ/Betts/Ihnen are our 3's, we are going to at the bottom of the B1G again.
So you don't actually know- you are guessing and backing that up with a previous good prognostication. That's fine. Just be honest. You likely don't know the players nor have you seen them in practice. You said that Henley wasn't a guard- but he was. He just wasn't very good until the end of the year when he got better.

So you don't actually know- you are guessing and backing that up with a previous good prognostication. That's fine. Just be honest. You likely don't know the players nor have you seen them in practice. You said that Henley wasn't a guard- but he was. He just wasn't very good until the end of the year when he got better.

Henley's not a guard, he's a 3, and looked his best as a 3.

And yeah we've all seen Ihnen an JOJ play, and I've seen Betts play in HS.

MNVC - ‘none of us know anything til we see them play next year, okape. Off to nub town

Henley's not a guard, he's a 3, and looked his best as a 3.
He played the 2 this past year. At the beginning of the year he looked bad where ever he played but some of us saw talent. Not you. By the end of the year he was playing the 2 a lot and looking pretty good at it. He was a big loss- in fact he was the biggest off season loss.
And yeah we've all seen Ihnen an JOJ play, and I've seen Betts play in HS.
You saw the same clips we all saw. Betts is tall - he played a forward in HS - as do most kids that are 6-6 plus. He has guard skills, that much is easy to see. I consider the 3 in todays game a guard or a wing and most do. I think Betts will do fine there.

Why do you think that?

Unless he's a completely new player, he isn't a very good ball handler and he isn't a very good shooter. What he has done well in his career is defend post players and rebound (statistically). From the eye test, he appears to be a decent shooter for 4 (but the shots aren't going in) but he would be a minus shooter for a three.

I just think playing him at the wing will highlight what he cannot do and minimize what he can do. I think there is a player there but we can't just plug him into a wing because that's what we need (IMO).

Who is this "we" you keep referring to? Are you under some illusion you will be part of writing out the starting lineup card?

Why do you think that?

I would agree that he wasn't adept as a ball handler but I've seen a lot worse-his turnover numbers weren't awful, and he also shot 38% from 3 as a Freshman. He certainly was pretty bad shooting-wise his Sophomore year, but he shoots about 79% on his free throws, he's got some touch, and he can rebound and play defense. Who knows how is knee responds?

I'll agree he's athletic, and if he's close physically to what he was and has had two years (when he's not rehabbing) to work on his ball handling, we may have something there. Yes, some ifs, I just believe if his knee responds he's going to be an asset for this team, unlike many others.

I would agree that he wasn't adept as a ball handler but I've seen a lot worse-his turnover numbers weren't awful, and he also shot 38% from 3 as a Freshman. He certainly was pretty bad shooting-wise his Sophomore year, but he shoots about 79% on his free throws, he's got some touch, and he can rebound and play defense. Who knows how is knee responds?

I'll agree he's athletic, and if he's close physically to what he was and has had two years (when he's not rehabbing) to work on his ball handling, we may have something there. Yes, some ifs, I just believe if his knee responds he's going to be an asset for this team, unlike many others.
My post wasn't a rip on him, he is athletic and skilled. I think he's a better shooter than his percentages show. I do think his a/to ratio is decent because he barely ever dribbled (low usage). He was mostly a stretch 4 who cut and shot threes. That's a good thing - I just don't think it translates to playing the wing at all.

But we'll see, he could be a different kind of player when he returns from injury.

Who is this "we" you keep referring to? Are you under some illusion you will be part of writing out the starting lineup card?
You were confused on this? The "we" was the Gophers.

You're really dumb, but even you aren't this dumb.

My post wasn't a rip on him, he is athletic and skilled. I think he's a better shooter than his percentages show. I do think his a/to ratio is decent because he barely ever dribbled (low usage). He was mostly a stretch 4 who cut and shot threes. That's a good thing - I just don't think it translates to playing the wing at all.

But we'll see, he could be a different kind of player when he returns from injury.
Got it, I didn't see it as a rip on him. I agree he has a really good stroke and you're right, his usage was low but he protected the ball reasonably well. I hope we're all pleasantly surprised if he shows he can play the wing. He's had plenty of time to work on his ball handling!

And if he can move OK with his knee, I love him out there guarding some of the really good 6'6-6'10 guys in this league.

He played the 2 this past year. At the beginning of the year he looked bad where ever he played but some of us saw talent. Not you. By the end of the year he was playing the 2 a lot and looking pretty good at it. He was a big loss- in fact he was the biggest off season loss.

You saw the same clips we all saw. Betts is tall - he played a forward in HS - as do most kids that are 6-6 plus. He has guard skills, that much is easy to see. I consider the 3 in todays game a guard or a wing and most do. I think Betts will do fine there.

Henley is literally listed as a SF/F everywhere you want to look, including when he was in the starting lineup. Henley has always been a perfect fit at the 3 in today's game. But ok, you'll believe whatever you want.

Betts is 6'8" and a good outside shooter, but he has nowhere near the foot speed and ball handling skills that Henley has, let alone all other 3's in the B1G. He would get absolutely torched on D playing that position.

Henley is literally listed as a SF/F everywhere you want to look, including when he was in the starting lineup. Henley has always been a perfect fit at the 3 in today's game. But ok, you'll believe whatever you want.

Betts is 6'8" and a good outside shooter, but he has nowhere near the foot speed and ball handling skills that Henley has, let alone all other 3's in the B1G. He would get absolutely torched on D playing that position.
I watched the games - all of them. I don't care what your chart says. He played the 2 most of the time. From the time Payne started playing a lot the lineup was usually Payne, Garcia, Battle (at the 3), Henley or Carrington at the 2 and Cooper at the 1.

I watched the games - all of them. I don't care what your chart says. He played the 2 most of the time. From the time Payne started playing a lot the lineup was usually Payne, Garcia, Battle (at the 3), Henley or Carrington at the 2 and Cooper at the 1.

Battle was playing some 2 as well. Both were out of position and that's why we finished last and were blown out most games. That has always been my point.

It's exactly why we still need 2 more starting caliber guards, or 1 guard and 1 SF. Christie is also more of a 3 than a 2.

Battle was playing some 2 as well. Both were out of position and that's why we finished last and were blown out most games. That has always been my point.

It's exactly why we still need 2 more starting caliber guards, or 1 guard and 1 SF. Christie is also more of a 3 than a 2.
Also incorrect.

I'll wait for my apology next season. He won't be able to defend B1G guards.
I don't know whether he as a freshman will be able to do that effectively or not. That doesn't make him a 3. It makes him a freshman. He won't be playing the 3 unless they go small. I doubt Evans was going to be effective guarding Edey as a frosh, but that doesn't make him a guard.

Well, we all have to wait til the end of next season to know if we are any good. How cathartic.

More athletic than Garcia.. not great with his back to the hoop in a small conference.. benefits from his size with put backs and rebounds.. faces up nice.. but not super physical and how he gets points some of that ain’t translating to Power 6… if he improves on 28% from three maybe
Grant Nelson. Bama had to tell him to quit jacking up threes get closer to hoop and be more physical… great move by Nelson to go Bama though.. still struggles.. he ain’t lotto like some claimed

I like to look through Mid-Major rosters from time to time to see if there are any guys that would fit here. One is Max Ambas from Oral Roberts. 4 year stud who I think can play one more season. Johnson has to find 1-2 really good PG's to turn this around. Find guys with a grad year or COVID season left to come in for one season.

Wouldn’t the spit balls from March 6, 2023 (date of your OP) be dry by now🤨?

My buddy Dylan. Saw him basically tackle Eric Decker during a basketball game in 2001. Could use the tenacity. Has had several knee surgeries and is not skilled. An Ihnen replacement.

Top Bottom