Sparty @ Gophers -- by the (RPI) numbers

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
All RPI numbers courtesy of CollegeRPI.com.

Michigan State (16-3, 6-0)
RPI: 21
Record vs. Top 50: 2-1
Record vs. Top 100: 6-3
Bottom-100 (#248-347) Wins: 4 (Florida Gulf Coast, IPFW, Texas-Arlington, Toledo)
Bad Losses (#101+): none
Record vs. BCS Opponents: 6-3
Road/Neutral: 4-3
Overall SOS: 59
Average RPI of Nonconference Opponents: 164.769

Gophers (12-6, 3-3)
RPI: 55
Record vs. Top 50: 2-3
Record vs. Top 100: 2-4
Bottom-100 (#248-347) Wins: 1 (Utah Valley)
Bad Losses (#101+): 2 (Indiana, Miami-Florida)
Record vs. BCS Opponents: 3-5
Record at Williams Arena: 10-0
Overall SOS: 53
Average RPI of Nonconference Opponents: 160.333

The Line: TBD
The Call: Sparty 78, Gophers 57

Man oh man Selection Sunday the call is a blowout! I know you're really dedicated to this, but man I hope you're wrong. I think it was you that posted a few days ago something to the affect that this will be a make or break game or a turning point, which I agree with. A blowout the wrong way isn't something I had contemplated. Even with Nolen out, I still can't take off the blinders. I'm going to stick like glue to the home record.

I don't forsee a blowout at home with a packed house like that. But I can't lie, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Obviously Joseph and Cobbs have got to play well for us to really have a chance. If they do that, perhaps we can ride some emotion to a big upset win.

I suppose we're catching them at the best possible time in the rematch. Izzo teams always seem to get better as the year progresses. (If there is a good time.) I went to one of their web sites to see what they were saying and the majority of the threads were about their logo change. Really a huge issue with them.

If it makes you feel any better, my last two predictions for Gopher games:

Ohio State over Gophers -- Gophers won.
Gophers over Indiana -- Gophers lost.

We really need this one, no doubt about it. Though winning, Sparty hasn't been overly impressive lately. I think that's what scares me, maybe even moreso than Al's absence. Sparty is overdue to put together a complete performance. I hope the Gophers aren't the recipients of Sparty's wake-up call.

Sparty is overdue to put together a complete performance. I hope the Gophers aren't the recipients of Sparty's wake-up call.

Izzo was working his team for this game right after the Iowa game. In the interview he quickly gave credit to Iowa and said his team has to get much better. Basically wasn't giving them any credit. Some mental games going on. Maybe they won't respond to it. They must look at the standings. Maybe they need a loss before they wake up.

If it makes you feel any better, my last two predictions for Gopher games:

Ohio State over Gophers -- Gophers won.
Gophers over Indiana -- Gophers lost.

We really need this one, no doubt about it. Though winning, Sparty hasn't been overly impressive lately. I think that's what scares me, maybe even moreso than Al's absence. Sparty is overdue to put together a complete performance. I hope the Gophers aren't the recipients of Sparty's wake-up call.

While it is true, MSU has not been overly impressive lately, I see no reason we will suddenly turn it on, especially in the very tough "The Barn" When the schedule first came out, I kind of penciled in a W for MSU. The first road game of a very tough stretch (6 of next 8 are on the road) I thought MSU would be ready. I don't think that is the case now. If Minn. plays with the same heart and intensity they did at the Breslin Center, this game is yours to win. Missing Nolan is a tough blow for you defensively but hardly something you can't overcome.

Good Luck tomorrow, and let"s make a deal........Let's both destroy Bucky!

If Minny wins, do you think they are on the bubble or off the bubble? Also, how far up will our RPI climb? 5 -10 spots?

If Gophers win, they'll be in my "Field of 65" on Monday, and probably not even one of the "last 4 in". If they lose, a follow-up loss to Northwestern on Tuesday would send them into the at-large abyss until proven otherwise.

I would guess if the Gophers beat MSU their RPI will be in the mid- to high-40's by next Monday.

Must win game--repeat---must win game!

Let royce play!

A loss would probably require the Gophers to win 12 big ten games plus a couple in the tournament to get in. In other words, totally running out of run-way to make it.

I am sure the MSU guy posting would not be happy with an NIT Berth stairing them in the eyes!

You spelled berth correctly. Congratulations, Millions, you're moving up in the world!

Now you have to work on "stairing" (what the heck does that mean, anyways?) and staring.

Top Bottom