Spann-Ford #2 TE?

Interesting take. Go look at their best years.
Maxx had more yards in his sophomore year (with fewer receptions too) than BSF had in his 4th year.

He was clearly the featured receiver in Georgia's offense. Makes a huge difference.
And I wouldn't call Bowers an inline TE. He spreads out quite a bit and is sometimes in the slot and goes in motion. He's a real weapon. Georgia's other TE--Washington--would be a more apt comparison to Spann-Ford.

When BSF beats Iowa in the fashion Max Williams did in 2014, I will 100% get on board.

And I wouldn't call Bowers an inline TE. He spreads out quite a bit and is sometimes in the slot and goes in motion. He's a real weapon. Georgia's other TE--Washington--would be a more apt comparison to Spann-Ford.
Ah, OK. That makes more sense.

He's a "big slot WR", is what he really is? A system thing?

Like calling Danielle Hunter an Outside Linebacker. :sneaky:

Maxx had more yards in his sophomore year (with fewer receptions too) than BSF had in his 4th year.
Very close in my opinion. Unless they revert back to not using the TE as a receiver, I would assume BSF will have his best year in 2023. Wish they would have used him more in past seasons, he is such a mismatch.

Ah, OK. That makes more sense.

He's a "big slot WR", is what he really is? A system thing?

Like calling Danielle Hunter an Outside Linebacker. :sneaky:
Good way to put it. Bowers is a systems guy who can probably fit in a lot of systems. He is an absolute stud, but I don't know how one would classify him. He is called upon to block at times, but he's pretty much in every pattern Georgia runs. Curious to see how the pros will use him when he gets there.

TE is about being able to use your body to consistently create space so you can catch the ball. BSF has the athletic ability to create space. What he has lacked is the understanding of the game to do this consistently. While the offense might be partially to blame, I do think he needs to be a better route runner and use his body more to create space. This year will be able working on the little things that can make him great. If he does do, and things click, he has the athletic talent to be a 1st or 2nd rounder.
I very much agree with your assesment. I will add that he needs to never try and hurdle defenders again!! He should be stiff arming them away!!

TE is about being able to use your body to consistently create space so you can catch the ball. BSF has the athletic ability to create space. What he has lacked is the understanding of the game to do this consistently. While the offense might be partially to blame, I do think he needs to be a better route runner and use his body more to create space. This year will be able working on the little things that can make him great. If he does do, and things click, he has the athletic talent to be a 1st or 2nd rounder.
I think the offense was mostly to blame. Many posts by GHers before last year saying he wasn't seeing the field more because he was not one of the top blocking TEs. They used the TE a lot as just an additional blocker.

Last edited:

Good way to put it. Bowers is a systems guy who can probably fit in a lot of systems. He is an absolute stud, but I don't know how one would classify him. He is called upon to block at times, but he's pretty much in every pattern Georgia runs. Curious to see how the pros will use him when he gets there.
Antonio Gates didn't even play football in college!

If he can learn to block well enough for what the NFL needs, I'm sure he'll do fine.

This 100%.

Bowers is like Aaron Hernandez on the football field.

BSF is huge. BSF is like 25 lbs larger than Gonzalez.

BSF's NFL player comp would be more like Marcedes Lewis.
Wow ... and dude is still playing!

17 years in the league and only 3 with significant games missed! Not quite as good but pretty similar to Tony, in that respect.

Top Bottom