SP3 Article On Cory

Nice. Based on my memory, that is the most promising article in regards to filling the missing link on what I view will be at least two year window where we will have a shot at Big Ten Titles if we get stellar PG play. Villanova's presence in the equation makes me worry the most. Jay Wright, great school (academics and as a basketball campus), major city, program playing at high level, 3 guard attack, etc. makes an attractive option.

Joseph-Joseph-Williams-White-Sampson could be a killer staring line-up for 2 years.

Nice. Based on my memory, that is the most promising article in regards to filling the missing link on what I view will be at least two year window where we will have a shot at Big Ten Titles if we get stellar PG play. Villanova's presence in the equation makes me worry the most. Jay Wright, great school (academics and as a basketball campus), major city, program playing at high level, 3 guard attack, etc. makes an attractive option.

Joseph-Joseph-Williams-White-Sampson could be a killer staring line-up for 2 years.

If Mbakwe is forced to sit, but able to red-shirt, it gets even better... Then you'd have Cory (soph), Devoe (Sr.), Royce (Jr.), Mbakwe (Sr.), RS3 (Sr.). With Cobbs (Jr.), Williams (Jr.), and Iverson (Sr.) and Hollins (Soph) coming off the bench.. that team has final 4 written all over it.

That's getting a bit ahead of ourselves though :)

Here are some more quotes from an updated blog from Marcus:

Cory Joseph knows Minnesota
By Marcus Fuller

Even before taking his official trip to Minnesota's campus this weekend, five-star Findlay Prep (Nev.) point guard Cory Joseph knew the Gophers well.

His older brother Devoe, a Gophers sophomore guard, has often talked to him what he liked about the coach Tubby Smith's program.

"Tubby's a great coach, and (Devoe) told me he was a great coach," Cory said. "He helped him a lot out with his game. He had to go from a shooting guard to a point guard, so he helped him out.

"Not just on the weight room and on the court, but (Tubby) made sure he was academically all good.He said they have a great coaching staff, and the players are good and get along together."

-- Cory Joseph said that his mother, Connie, has helped him out a lot during the recruiting process, even though she might be favoring her sons playing together at Minnesota.

He said she would help him decided where to take his last official visit between Florida, Nevada-Las Vegas and Mississippi State.

"Of course, she wants to see my brother and I play together," he said. "Every parent would want to see that. But she still stands behind me. And still gives me the best advice about all of the schools."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/10/cory-joseph-knows-minnesota.html

Go Gophers!!

Big Ten champs 2012

Possibly, but there are a number of Big Ten teams currently better than Minnesota and those teams have incredible recruiting classes coming in. The Big Ten will be loaded for the next 4-5 years. Aside from C. Joseph - and he's no sure thing - the Gophers recruiting for 2010 and beyond has been mediocre at best. Purdue actually just got a committment for 2012 today and they're are pretty much done now through 2012.

Possibly, but there are a number of Big Ten teams currently better than Minnesota and those teams have incredible recruiting classes coming in. The Big Ten will be loaded for the next 4-5 years. Aside from C. Joseph - and he's no sure thing - the Gophers recruiting for 2010 and beyond has been mediocre at best. Purdue actually just got a committment for 2012 today and they're are pretty much done now through 2012.

An underrated aspect to the Gophers past two top 25 classes is the fact that the players project to be 4 year players. The classes aren't top heavy with one or two and done types. Furthermore, PG is about the only position with major minutes available for the next two seasons. We needed guys to fit roles and we got post depth and a shooting range commitments. We might not have lottery pick talent, but we are going to be a deep, balanced team that won't be out coached. The Big Ten is going to like the 80's and early 90's again and the Gophers will be in the thick of things as far as upper echelon teams starting next season.

Possibly, but there are a number of Big Ten teams currently better than Minnesota ...

True statement. I'd put that number at 2-3. That number is dwindling and may be 0 by next year.

You're right that the B10 is becoming loaded though. By next year, the 3rd or 4th best team in the B10 may still be a NC contender, and I would bet the 6-7 B10 teams in the top 25 will become common.

I don't know about taking 2012 commits, both from an ethical standpoint and risk standpoint. I understand it's allowed, but how can any kid starting their sophomore year honestly know where he wants to go to school, and how can any school honestly know what kind of player he's going to be in 3+ years? And if the kid blows out his knee and becomes a 2* talent, are you going to keep the commitment and use one of your 13 schollies on him? If the kid blows up and becomes the #1 recruit in the country, is he going to keep his commitment to Purdue and ignore interest from the Dukes, UCLAs and Kentuckys of the world?

True statement. I'd put that number at 2-3. That number is dwindling and may be 0 by next year.

You're right that the B10 is becoming loaded though. By next year, the 3rd or 4th best team in the B10 may still be a NC contender, and I would bet the 6-7 B10 teams in the top 25 will become common.

I don't know about taking 2012 commits, both from an ethical standpoint and risk standpoint. I understand it's allowed, but how can any kid starting their sophomore year honestly know where he wants to go to school, and how can any school honestly know what kind of player he's going to be in 3+ years? And if the kid blows out his knee and becomes a 2* talent, are you going to keep the commitment and use one of your 13 schollies on him? If the kid blows up and becomes the #1 recruit in the country, is he going to keep his commitment to Purdue and ignore interest from the Dukes, UCLAs and Kentuckys of the world?

I know it's a different sport, but one of Don Lucia problems is that he is so locked on getting Jrs and Sophs to commit that late bloomers get ignored, and some of the underclassmen that commit don't improve or grow the way that was expected.

Top Bottom