Souhan's "understanding"

You do realize that the Gophers only have four teams left on the schedule that aren't ranked in the top 25. I think 4 or 5 total wins and competitive in all of the loses will be enough.

Tough beans. If you didn't want to have to beat a Top 25 team to get to the required 6-7 wins you shouldn't have lost to USD. It's not actually the worlds greatest feat for an unranked team to win a game or two over a top-25 team. Even most above average teams do it once or twice a year. Just because Brew hasn't done it even once in 3 + years doesn't make it impossible.

I don't have a problem giving Brew the rest of the season (or at least til the point of no return) to pull a rabbit out, but I have huge problem with the folks already saying that 3-4 wins as long as we 'lose close' is good enough. It's too late for that. Brew needs to show he can actually win football games. Not shorten the clock enough and score garbage touchdowns so it doesn't look too bad.

Souhan may or may not have terrible opinions.

Souhan may even be a terrible writer.

But when has Souhan been a shoddy reporter? Or Reusse?

Just asking. I especially trust Pat. If he says it, it happened.

I trust Reusse far more then Souhan. And Souhan was wrong on the Tubby stuff, IMO. But I still don't think he's simply pulling quotes out of thin air. If he is wrong, it's because he has a bad source, not because he's making things up.

Brew can't even sell out a brand new stadium with USC coming to town. That proves what a shoddy job he's done. I've been a huge Gopher fan since Bernie was running the show and I must say I am fed up and have almost lost all interest in this guy's program. I drove to St. Cloud his first year to watch that open practice and came away thinking "What a horrible practice I just saw." That first season was torture. The next year with the Iowa fiasco was torture. Now we have SDSU and more torture. WE NEED CHANGE we can believe in.

Go back and look up his "reporting" about Tubby Smith last spring. There's your evidence.

In addition, he IS a terrible writer with terrible opinions.

And he gets worse all the time.

Really looking forward to what Dean Blais will do with the Gopher hockey team this year.

This past Sunday morning on KSTP radio Souhan was going through this business about Brewster needing 7-8 wins this season to survive. At the very same time he admitted he didn't know if the Gophers were playing an 11 or 12 game schedule. I thought that was certainly weak, if not shoddy.

Both Souhan & Reusse are paid to sell newspapers & gain listeners. They seem to feel it works to rip high profile teams with well paid coaches that don't win enough. Rather than delve into root causes for why a team might not be winning, they will often pander to the common man and simply attack the coach and/or management based on wins vs. losses and whatever they have observed or heard. They seem to do very little research on anything.

Bottom line is that where high profile sports are concerned, these guys are interested in writing & talking about great success or great failures. Thus they demand teams be successful or change management to provide new grist for their mill. They have no time to wait for boring stuff like gradual improvement or temporary blips in the success curve because those stories won't sell newspapers or gain listeners. (Of course this doesn't apply to Souhan and Twins baseball because the Twins would just get him off the TV broadcasts and he wouldn't want to lose that gig.)

Top Bottom