Souhan: Teague's plan for U is as audacious as the AD himself

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the column:

Teague revealed much about himself with the announcement.

Ambition? Check. Teague isn’t trying to coax a few extra victories out of women’s cross-country. He is trying to elevate football and basketball, the sports whose revenues raise all ships.

Business savvy? Check. When was the last time any sports entity in the Twin Cities revealed construction plans or hopes without begging for tax dollars? If Teague gets this done, the new practice facility should be called the Woody Pavilion.

Confidence? Check. Only someone with bravado and a successful track record could, in his first year on the job, fire a Hall of Fame basketball coach and propose to solve all of the university’s sports facilities problems in one privately financed swoop.

Minnesotans are never sure whether to trust the slick outsider. Burned by Lou Holtz’s shtick and angered by Red McCombs’ disingenuousness, many locals felt uncomfortable seeing an unknown guy from a small East Coast school singing the Rouser.

Maybe their fears will prove justified. Teague’s plan is audacious. But the Gophers athletic department needed a time machine to the 21st century, and Teague isn’t afraid to build one in the driveway while the neighbors gawk.

He’s either crazy or good, and either is an upgrade.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/215177701.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Souhan's sense of humour sometimes is too sarcastic to enjoy. But I like is take on Teague this time around.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

I'm not a fan of the guy.. but from the tiny bit I've seen Bleed post here, I would agree. I refuse to give him clicks, though.

The stadium fundraising committee raised $90m for the stadium and picked up $45m for the scholarship fund along the way in only 5 years. I'm willing to make a one beer bet that they can raise $190m plus another $50m for the scholarship fund in the next 10. They raised $135m with Maturi and his bunch, I think Teague and his cohorts have him by a mile.

I committed $50 a month for four years to the Bank. Went toward my parking qualification, which was nice. That's less than $2 a day and 100% tax deductible. You can do it Gopherholers. You just need the will.

Top Bottom