Souhan RIPS Maturi, Tubby, says Brew "has made a mess of the football program"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Souhan RIPS Maturi, Tubby, says Brew "has made a mess of the football program"

Minnesota athletics tarnished by mismanagement

By JIM SOUHAN
Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Published: Wednesday, May. 26, 2010

MINNEAPOLIS -- Jimmy Williams' victorious lawsuit against Tubby Smith and the University of Minnesota isn't as damaging as it is revealing.

The case reminds us of the rich tradition of Gopher basketball scandals, the arrogance of power coaches, the basketball program's 40-year slump, the sorry state of the University of Minnesota's revenue sports, and the cost of employing an athletic director who doubles as a naive bystander.

Gophers AD Joe Maturi oversees fine volleyball, baseball, wrestling and track teams. That's not his job. His job, as the boss of a Big Ten athletic department, is to run revenue programs that bring glory and money to the university. Williams' successful suit is the latest sign that Maturi is overmatched, that he exercises little control where control is most needed.

Court documents reveal that Maturi didn't want Williams hired at least in part because he was concerned about the possibility of adverse media reaction to the hiring of a coach who had been involved in NCAA violations as a Gophers assistant under Bill Musselman and Jim Dutcher in the 1970s and 1980s. Worrying about media reaction is a terrible way to make a decision. A real AD would have hired or rejected Williams based on his life's work and reputation, not on a fear of criticism.

Real ADs are judged by the successes and failures of their revenue sports. In this way, too, Maturi is failing.

He hired Tim Brewster, who has made a mess of the football program.

He got out of Smith's way when Smith decided he wanted to coach at Minnesota, and the Williams case reminds us that power coaches like Smith too often act like emperors, not employees.

Maturi also has done nothing to halt the slide of Don Lucia's once-proud hockey program.

While the decline of the hockey program is most shocking, it is the basketball program that has become the university's biggest embarrassment. It is the basketball program that is responsible for the worst moments in recent university history, from the Ohio State brawl to the rape charges in Madison to the most sordid case of academic fraud ever uncovered.

The hiring of Smith, even if it was really Smith doing the hiring, offered the promise of on-court success without embarrassment, the promise of clean victories and a classy power coach in whom we could believe.

It turns out Smith looks better on paper than in person. His resume is impeccable. His work in Dinkytown is spotty.

Smith has returned the basketball program to relevance, and to the NCAA Tournament. He has not, however, become the ambassador for the program or the university that we assumed he would be. He has not been as visible or as charming as many of us expected.

His program might have already peaked. And, in the attempted hiring of Williams, he did so little due diligence that he didn't know about Williams' past involvement in scandals.

Smith is a dramatic improvement over Dan Monson because his teams usually play hard, usually play strong defense. But the notion that he would bring in a new caliber of national recruit who would transform the program has proved bogus. In fact, his best recruits - Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe -have proved to be his most problematic recruits. There is still no certainty that either will ever play in Williams Arena.

On the court, his offenses are erratic and few of his players have demonstrated improvement. Off the court, Smith has acted like the quintessential power coach, demanding a new practice facility, refusing to quash rumors that he is looking for another job ... and offering jobs to assistant coaches without involving his boss in the process.

The five most important positions involving the University of Minnesota athletic department are filled with men ill-suited to elevating Gophers sports beyond the gravitational pull of mediocrity.

The university president, Robert Bruininks, is far too satisfied with Maturi's laissez-faire approach to his revenue programs. The president should demand more from the position, and the athletic department.

The athletic director, Maturi, behaves more like a cheerleader for the cross-country team than the boss of the high-priced basketball coach.

The football coach, Brewster, got Maturi alone in a hotel room during the interview process and sold him a bill of goods that any intelligent Gophers fan has since rejected.

The hockey coach, Lucia, has crashed a program that should glide on auto-pilot.

If we want to consider women's basketball a revenue sport - because it briefly was headed in that direction - then Maturi's tenure looks even worse.

The women's basketball coach, Pam Borton, has helped guide the team back to the days of small crowds and low expectations, ever since five starting players decided they didn't want to play for her anymore.

The university can afford to pay Williams for Smith's negligence. The university can't afford many more years of mismanagement and under-management, not of the revenue programs that should enrich and represent the entire university.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/05/26/2779502/minnesota-athletics-tarnished.html

Go Gophers!!

The parts about maturi being in over his head is correct. The part about Borton is also right on, but Brewster was a gamble, that in my opionion will pay off, and smith is OK. But Souhan is basically an IDIOT!

Typical Strib article is typical. Somebody alert Doogie it is safe to pile on now.

Minnesota athletics tarnished by mismanagement

By JIM SOUHAN
Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Published: Wednesday, May. 26, 2010

MINNEAPOLIS -- Jimmy Williams' victorious lawsuit against Tubby Smith and the University of Minnesota isn't as damaging as it is revealing.

The case reminds us of the rich tradition of Gopher basketball scandals, the arrogance of power coaches, the basketball program's 40-year slump, the sorry state of the University of Minnesota's revenue sports, and the cost of employing an athletic director who doubles as a naive bystander.

Gophers AD Joe Maturi oversees fine volleyball, baseball, wrestling and track teams. That's not his job. His job, as the boss of a Big Ten athletic department, is to run revenue programs that bring glory and money to the university. Williams' successful suit is the latest sign that Maturi is overmatched, that he exercises little control where control is most needed.

Court documents reveal that Maturi didn't want Williams hired at least in part because he was concerned about the possibility of adverse media reaction to the hiring of a coach who had been involved in NCAA violations as a Gophers assistant under Bill Musselman and Jim Dutcher in the 1970s and 1980s. Worrying about media reaction is a terrible way to make a decision. A real AD would have hired or rejected Williams based on his life's work and reputation, not on a fear of criticism.

Real ADs are judged by the successes and failures of their revenue sports. In this way, too, Maturi is failing.

He hired Tim Brewster, who has made a mess of the football program.

He got out of Smith's way when Smith decided he wanted to coach at Minnesota, and the Williams case reminds us that power coaches like Smith too often act like emperors, not employees.

Maturi also has done nothing to halt the slide of Don Lucia's once-proud hockey program.

how does an article like this change the attitude of the state?

Souhan is a columnist. His job is to state an opinion and sell papers based on his ability to get that opinion across. For that, I cannot fault him. It is his job.

My only issue is that he throws the football program under the bus in an attempt to underscore his point, yet gives no evidence to support the thought that Brewster "has made a mess of the football program." The problem with this type of writing is that it just makes the readership more divided. The people who thought Brewster/Maturi/Smith to be a joke already now have more ammunition, and the people who thought Souhan was a joke also now have more evidence. It doesn't change people's minds, which is what a good columnist will do, because it doesn't present anything new.

It does not matter whether the points are valid or not, since that is a subjective judgment. What matters is that the columnists just keep pumping out re-run pieces that accomplish little more than pissing a few people off. I can't imagine these pieces are difficult to write, since they have all been done before. It is a little lazy in my opinion, and is just one more reason why their readership is down. If people want uninformed, unsupported opinion, there are a boatload of blogs out there that will provide it free of charge.

Gee, I wonder why Maturi would be concerned about the media reaction. Most other AD's don't have to worry about a media firestorm if they so much as sneeze.

The football team isn't a mess. It's mediocre, but not a disaster.

The "most sordid case of academic fraud ever uncovered"? No. It was a bad scandal, But the most sorid ever, No. Our local media decided it was the worst ever, but there have been far worse.

The article wasn't completely one-sided and hyperbolic. He didn't blame Maturi for hiring Salem, the U2 cancellation or Bob Dylan dropping out did he?

For Souhan that's pretty "fair and balanced" indeed.

He didn't blame Maturi for the Red Barn riots, 9-11 or banning Kelly Leeks did he?

Stop

Can we please stop posting the garbage from Jen Souhan, he is an idiot and has little to no insight on anything sports related. He was the one who wrote that the Twins should trade Joe Mauer, incredible. I'd like to know his reasoning for writing that the football program is a mess. Like 95% of the media up there, he has no clue about college football.

Gee, I wonder why Maturi would be concerned about the media reaction. Most other AD's don't have to worry about a media firestorm if they so much as sneeze.

The football team isn't a mess. It's mediocre, but not a disaster.

The "most sordid case of academic fraud ever uncovered"? No. It was a bad scandal, But the most sorid ever, No. Our local media decided it was the worst ever, but there have been far worse.

By all means please tell me one that was worse

The football program is far from a mess. The talent is getting better and the program has been middle of the road for years and years. Where is the mess? If MN was losing every game by 30 points and recruiting was terrible including in-state recruiting, then I would agree. But that is not happening. The program needs improvement, but to say it is a mess, it just wrong.

From 30,000 feet this is a valid assessment

Unfortunately, that's the altitude at which about 90% of the Twin Cities fanbase cruises. One can quibble on a few of Souhan's statements. Has Brewster "made a mess of the football program"? He certainly hasn't made it better, on the field anyway. One can argue its been one step forward and two steps back after 3 years, and this fall will tell what direction the next step(s) will be in.

As for the basketball program, Tubby has returned the program to respectability, but he's underdelivered in some areas. Particularly on developing players and recruiting. At least he's had a good run in the BTT and delivered some memorable W's, which is one thing that Brewster is sorely lacking.

This lawsuit was an indication of how badly the athletic department is run administratively. At our company there's an HR department to make sure stupid mistakes like the one that lead to this lawsuit don't happen in hiring procedures. Those procedures (assuming they even exist at the U) clearly weren't followed. That's partly due to an egomaniac coach who disregarded the rules, and an AD that didn't enforce them. That's totally on Maturi. I used to think that Maturi was brilliant for bringing in Tubby. I'm starting to wonder if he just lucked out on right place/right time, and he's been getting worked by Tubby all along. The whole thing with Tubby using job rumors in an attempt to get his Taj Mahal practice facility is more proof of that.

Getting back to Souhan, its a typical response from this board to attack the messenger for anything perceived as "anti-Gopher". I agree with 12th man that this piece was rather unoriginal. At the least he could have called on Bruininks to make some changes. But that's not going to happen, with both Dr. Bob and Maturi in the twilight of their careers. As Husker posted the other day, the proof of the pudding will be:

A.Who does the U bring in to replace Bruininks? Does this person have a commitment to a strong athletic image to the U?
B.Who does the new prez hire to replace Maturi? Hopefully its someone with experience in running a major athletic program (e.g. something bigger than a MAC school) and has vision, which I fear Maturi lacks.

I think the new president should get to choose his (or her) AD. And unless Brewster gets fired this year for biblical incompetence the new prez and AD will have to make a decision after the 2011 season as to whether or not Brewster has made a "mess" of the football program.

The football program is far from a mess. The talent is getting better and the program has been middle of the road for years and years. Where is the mess? If MN was losing every game by 30 points and recruiting was terrible including in-state recruiting, then I would agree. But that is not happening. The program needs improvement, but to say it is a mess, it just wrong.

I think this stems from Brewster coming in and promising a bunch of stuff he couldn't deliver. When you promise someone a BMW but give them a Kia, people are going to be mad. Sure driving a Kia is better than taking the bus, but it's a long way from cruising in a Beemer. And that's what he did. He came in claiming that he would take this team to the Rose Bowl and that there would be no more "Insight Bowls". And no more MAC or lower level conference games. But what has he delivered? Two trips to the Insight Bowl

I, for one, am going to commend Souhan. There sit the Twins after another pair of incredibly disappointing losses to the Yankees, and James goes out of his way to attack the Gophers once again. Courage.

I, for one, am going to commend Souhan. There sit the Twins after another pair of incredibly disappointing losses to the Yankees, and James goes out of his way to attack the Gophers once again. Courage.

Give me a break. The Williams verdict came down yesterday and was on the front page. And there's still tons of coverage on the Twins meltdowns. Writing this article today was hardly Souhan going out of his way to rip the Gophers. Frankly the whole trial is a black-mark on the U and they deserved to be ripped. Tubby and Maturi were both culpable in the mess. Most of Souhan's points were valid about all involved. Whether Brewster has made a 'mess' of the football program is debatable and depends on your definition of 'mess' but it's hardly a ridiculous statement.

I agree that the fact that the President is outgoing probably means both Brew and Maturi get to stay two more years. That's not a good thing for Maturi and probably not be good for Brew. I fear it also means Tubby may take the next opportunity to get out of town.

He came in claiming that he would take this team to the Rose Bowl and that there would be no more "Insight Bowls"

First of all, he never gave a time line on the Rose Bowl thing. People read too much into that and assume he meant immediately, which he neither said nor implied. I love how people can rip on someone for having high expectations.

The second part of this sentence, which I have bolded above, is a bald-faced lie. Again, he neither said nor implied anything even remotely approximating this. Cite your source and I will retract.

He came in claiming that he would take this team to the Rose Bowl and that there would be no more "Insight Bowls". And no more MAC or lower level conference games. But what has he delivered? Two trips to the Insight Bowl

1) Brewster set the Rose Bowl as a goal. That should be the goal of every coach in the Big Ten. He didn't promise that we would get there immediately.

2) He never claimed there would be no more Insight Bowls.

3) He never said there would be no more games against MAC teams. The non-conference schedule has been significantly upgraded, with games against BCS opponents for the forseeable future.

2010 USC
2011 @USC
2012 Syracuse
2013 @North Carolina
2014 North Carolina
2015 Texas
2016 @Texas
2017 Oregon State
2018 @Oregon State

I think this stems from Brewster coming in and promising a bunch of stuff he couldn't deliver. When you promise someone a BMW but give them a Kia, people are going to be mad. Sure driving a Kia is better than taking the bus, but it's a long way from cruising in a Beemer. And that's what he did. He came in claiming that he would take this team to the Rose Bowl and that there would be no more "Insight Bowls". And no more MAC or lower level conference games. But what has he delivered? Two trips to the Insight Bowl

As others have noted, there was no timeline on the Rose Bowl. Also, "couldn't deliver" is also wrong since he is still the coach. "Hasn't delivered yet" would have been more...whats the word...ah yes, accurate. I don't disagree that people might be pissy that he hasn't gotten us there yet and that's their right. But that doesn't mean the program is a mess (which was Souhan's unvalidated point).

As others have noted, he didn't say anything about the Insight Bowls that I'm aware of.

And I know he didn't promise no MAC/lower conference games. Because EVERY BCS SCHOOL SCHEDULES THESE GAMES. And as others have noted this false statement conveniently ignores the significant improvement in non-conf schedules under Brew (which he is also ripped for).

The bolded statement is a factual statement. Its almost enough to help me forget the fact that everything else in your post was wrong or poorly phrased.

yawn.jpg

Can't wait to see the follow up blog. I'm sure it'll be just as "exciting"

You can't win with this media. Try to avoid scandal, and the media will attack you for it. Don't try to avoid it, and you'll get a firestorm from the media. If the U had hired Williams, the media would have attacked Maturi a lot harder than they would have for blocking his hiring. You would have essentially the same article: Souhan would have ripped the U for hiring him, saying that he only did it to save the money from a lawsuit. Souhan would have insisted that blocking the hiring was the ethical thing to do, and that Maturi should have had the courage to block it and pay the lawsuit.

1) Brewster set the Rose Bowl as a goal. That should be the goal of every coach in the Big Ten. He didn't promise that we would get there immediately.

"We’re going to win the Big Ten Championship and we’re going to take the Gopher nation to Pasadena. That’s my dream, that’s my goal and that’s my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later."

Depends on what people think sooner rather than later means.

this genius soohan

He is so smart, why is he writing for a second rate rag which is in deep financial trouble? Why is he not writing for the NY times? Why is he not stopping the oil leak?

Some of you dudes would apologize for brewster even if he landed us the death penalty.

"We’re going to win the Big Ten Championship and we’re going to take the Gopher nation to Pasadena. That’s my dream, that’s my goal and that’s my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later."

Depends on what people think sooner rather than later means.
He also went on to say, "we owe it to the seniors on this team." Guess what, the seniors on that team are long gone and none of them even sniffed another Big 10 win.

He also went on to say, "we owe it to the seniors on this team." Guess what, the seniors on that team are long gone and none of them even sniffed another Big 10 win.

Nice try. The actual quote, in context, was:

“The other thing I wanted to talk about is the type of football team we’re going to have and what the expectations are for this football team. My expectations from day one are going to be to win the Big Ten Championship. That’s what the seniors deserve and what everybody deserves."

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=748776&SPID=3280&SPSID=38605

Nice try. The actual quote, in context, was:

“The other thing I wanted to talk about is the type of football team we’re going to have and what the expectations are for this football team. My expectations from day one are going to be to win the Big Ten Championship. That’s what the seniors deserve and what everybody deserves."

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=748776&SPID=3280&SPSID=38605

What is your point? By tying this statement to the seniors, it indicates one thing, "he was expecting to win the Big 10 championship in 2007."

Top Bottom