Souhan Reports Tubby is Checking Out Auburn

I believe everytime we've heard Tubby - may - be leaving Donna's name is mentioned. She wants to move, she doesn't like it here, she hates the cold, she wants to be closer to family down south, or wherever.

Quick check -

But it certainly appears that there are significant and lingering issues with the Auburn AAU program-

Though Lebo leaves a program free of NCAA scrutiny, the Tigers' next coach will face some significant hurdles. Jacobs said the school's contract with Under Armour prevents coaches from making their own apparel deals with rival companies.

That means Auburn players won't soon be wearing Nike or Adidas footwear. Those companies spend millions each year to promote their brands among the high-school and Amateur Athletic Union ranks, cementing relationships that often yield recruiting overtures.

The Tigers' awkward relationship with AAU sponsor Mark Komara may continue. The NCAA deemed Komara a representative of Auburn's athletic interests during a 2003 investigation and upheld the program's self-imposed ban on communication with Komara through the 2005-06 season.

Auburn has maintained the ban since then, though, which has compromised the program's ability to recruit players under Komara's influence. His Southeastern Elite club often features the state's top prep prospects.

So since this guy is THE major player in AAU ball there, who are they - speculating - Tubby is contacting? :)

Sounds like bullsh-- to me. Not surprised.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...3130370/Auburn-fires-Lebo-as-basketball-coach

Tubby and Mark K went their separate ways after Marvin Stone transferred from UK in 2001.

They don't send each other Xmas cards.

I heard Souhan and Reusse talk about it at noon. The two items that were new to me were that 1) Tubby is contacting AAU coaches in Alabama to talk about Auburn and whether he could attract the top players there and 2) Donna, in particular, wants to move. I know that contrasts with what FOT has been saying for three years. But in these two cases, it sounded like he had heard these things from someone somewhere.

The rest seemed like idle speculation. Suggestions that Tubby doesn't think Williams Arena is attractive to players, he prefers warm weather, thinks it would be relatively easy to raise Auburn's stature in the SEC West without having to play Kentucky and Florida twice, blah, blah, blah, sounded more like guesses and gossip than reporting.

All due respect (to you) but S & R made it up. Neither (1) nor (2) is true. He made them up.

I heard Souhan and Reusse talk about it at noon. The two items that were new to me were that 1) Tubby is contacting AAU coaches in Alabama to talk about Auburn and whether he could attract the top players there and 2) Donna, in particular, wants to move. I know that contrasts with what FOT has been saying for three years. But in these two cases, it sounded like he had heard these things from someone somewhere.

The rest seemed like idle speculation. Suggestions that Tubby doesn't think Williams Arena is attractive to players, he prefers warm weather, thinks it would be relatively easy to raise Auburn's stature in the SEC West without having to play Kentucky and Florida twice, blah, blah, blah, sounded more like guesses and gossip than reporting.

I can't know if Donna wants to move, but if she wants to move now, she probably wanted to move last year at this time. Tubby had much more attractive chance(s) to do so, and declined. I hardly think she suddenly decided between year 2 and year 3 she hated it in MN?

I can't know if Donna wants to move, but if she wants to move now, she probably wanted to move last year at this time. Tubby had much more attractive chance(s) to do so, and declined. I hardly think she suddenly decided between year 2 and year 3 she hated it in MN?

You have common sense but Souhan and Reusse don't like using their heads. If Donna hated it so much, Virginia was closer to home at a better school with more basketball resources. Turning down Virginia for Auburn makes no sense.

Xtreme

You have common sense but Souhan and Reusse don't like using their heads. If Donna hated it so much, Virginia was closer to home at a better school with more basketball resources. Turning down Virginia for Auburn makes no sense.

Ding ding ding! You are correct, Sir!

Listening to and taking seriously PR and Sue makes no sense either.

His Own Words

Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith said ... "I'm not a candidate for any other job.''

Smith ... "there's no truth to it'' that he's interested in leaving Minnesota.

And regarding #1, being the college basketball guru that he is, I'm sure Souhan has all kinds of hot sources throught the Alabama AAU circuit. :rolleyes: I bet they're the ones that coached him up on the ins and outs of Xavier basketball too.

Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith said ... "I'm not a candidate for any other job.''

Smith ... "there's no truth to it'' that he's interested in leaving Minnesota.

These are the quotes from the paper. Where are the additional quotes from your private email conversation with Tubby?

And regarding #1, being the college basketball guru that he is, I'm sure Souhan has all kinds of hot sources throught the Alabama AAU circuit. :rolleyes: I bet they're the ones that coached him up on the ins and outs of Xavier basketball too.

Don't make me out to be some kind of Souhan aide. I'm just reporting what he said this afternoon. I take no position on the validity of his claims. :(

Don't make me out to be some kind of Souhan aide. I'm just reporting what he said this afternoon. I take no position on the validity of his claims. :(

Wasn't directed at you. Just at Jim. I actually didn't mind him until about 2 weeks ago. He's fine on the Twins and OK on the Vikings and even the Olympics. But he clearly hasn't follwed the Gophers or college basketball a lick this year and shouldn't pretend otherwise.

As I said earlier, I have his private e-mail. Repeating, (1) and (2) are made up = false.

You said yourself that you are not a friend, but more of an acquaintance. I am not saying they are true but do you think he would really share these things with someone who is not a friend? If you have his private email please email him and share with us what he says as GoldVision requested.

You must be kidding. I won't post private e-mail replies. These quotes are accurate.

I'm calling BS on your whole inside info on Tubby gig. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm willing to at least step out and say it.

EDIT: And no, it's not just because you won't post these email responses. I've thought this for a while.

You said yourself that you are not a friend, but more of an acquaintance. I am not saying they are true but do you think he would really share these things with someone who is not a friend? If you have his private email please email him and share with us what he says as GoldVision requested.

Pal, I spent 3 weeks with Tubby in Australia (Sept 2000). I see him once or twice a year.

I will NOT share any of his e-mail replies. The rumors are false. And (1) plus (2) are false.

I think you are a Numb Nut.

I've followed Big 10 basketball since 1969. Gophers have been a good basketball program most of those years. Minnesota has all the ingredients for basketball success like Wisconsin does.

By the way, FOT, I know this is off-topic but congrats on the Purdue win, that was amazing!

I think that if Tubby or Tubby's representatives want to engage in discussions with another school, all power to him. However, I think that the U should then be allowed to have conversations with other coaches. I know that there are all kinds of contracts and broken contracts are why some lawyers make a lot of money but these coaching contracts are as one way as NFL contracts and I don't understand it.

+a gazillion

I'm calling BS on your whole inside info on Tubby gig. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm willing to at least step out and say it.

EDIT: And no, it's not just because you won't post these email responses. I've thought this for a while.

The day that FOT is wrong on Tubby is the first day we should stop listening to him. As of now, FOT has, from what I've read, a 100% track record. I'm not saying FOT can't be wrong, as sometimes you never know, but I'm saying FOT is more likely to be right than, e.g., Souhan, Dodd, or the vast majority of people on this board.

The day that FOT is wrong on Tubby is the first day we should stop listening to him. As of now, FOT has, from what I've read, a 100% track record. I'm not saying FOT can't be wrong, as sometimes you never know, but I'm saying FOT is more likely to be right than, e.g., Souhan, Dodd, or the vast majority of people on this board.

agreed

I agree. I don't get why FOT rubs so many of you the wrong way. So he's a little repetative with the Tubby stats sometimes, big deal. If you question the legitimacy of what he says, disregard it. He's hardly in the top 50 on this board when it comes to most aggrivating posters.

Call it what you will. I will NOT share private e-mail replies. I give a spit what you think.

By the way, FOT, I know this is off-topic but congrats on the Purdue win, that was amazing!

I picked against 'em both rounds. Glad we won, no idea how we did it. 29 W ties school record from 1994 for Most W in a season.

I picked against 'em both rounds. Glad we won, no idea how we did it. 29 W ties school record from 1994 for Most W in a season.

I picked them to lose to A&M but I'm not the least bit surprised by them making the Sweet 16. Everyone was down on them after the BTT and saying they would lose to Siena. They have too many experienced players with too much pride to go down that way. What happened in the second-half at the Barn was a microcosm of what is happening now. I have no idea if they can take down Duke, but I won't be a bit surprised if they do.

I agree. I don't get why FOT rubs so many of you the wrong way. So he's a little repetative with the Tubby stats sometimes, big deal. If you question the legitimacy of what he says, disregard it. He's hardly in the top 50 on this board when it comes to most aggrivating posters.

Well, I'm relatively new here (and a notorious skeptic) so enlighten me. What has he been so correct on regarding Tubby in the past? I could claim everything he does and provide the exact same circumstantial evidence that I was a friend/acquaintance of Tubby.

Maybe this has been fleshed out in the past and there is no reason for my skepticism, but I just find it odd that many take what FOT says as gospel without any real evidence that he knows or is connected to Tubby.

I wouldn't say FOT rubs me the wrong way, I'm just always a skeptic and for that I apologize.

Well, I'm relatively new here (and a notorious skeptic) so enlighten me. What has he been so correct on regarding Tubby in the past? I could claim everything he does and provide the exact same circumstantial evidence that I was a friend/acquaintance of Tubby.

Maybe this has been fleshed out in the past and there is no reason for my skepticism, but I just find it odd that many take what FOT says as gospel without any real evidence that he knows or is connected to Tubby.

I wouldn't say FOT rubs me the wrong way, I'm just always a skeptic and for that I apologize.

Everybody (probably) knows that I met Tubby at Sydney (2000) Olympics when my stepdaughter played on the Women's team and Tubby coached the Men's team. We stayed 3 weeks in same hotel. I see him once or twice a year.

Few know that I worked for 8 years at the same company as Tubby's college teammate and best friend Joe "Buck" Colbert. He knows Tubby better than anyone but Donna. He and Tubby have been friends since 1969.

Feel free to be a skeptic. Nothing wrong with that. As I said, I don't give a spit.

I picked them to lose to A&M but I'm not the least bit surprised by them making the Sweet 16. Everyone was down on them after the BTT and saying they would lose to Siena. They have too many experienced players with too much pride to go down that way. What happened in the second-half at the Barn was a microcosm of what is happening now. I have no idea if they can take down Duke, but I won't be a bit surprised if they do.

Chris Kramer has really stepped up for Hummel. I hope we beat Duke but I don't know how we will.

Top Bottom