Souhan: If not now, Mark Coyle, when? Past time to diversify Gophers leadership

The ADs, despite what the average public thinks, don't have that type of sway. It starts at the top, the boosters, the regents, etc.
Thanks for mentioning that. I think too many forget that the AD is not at the top of the university food chain.

Today's players have a different reactions to coaches than players from before so not sure part drill Sargeant works anymore. Ask Izzo and Gabe Brown

Yes although one can be a little bit of a drill instructor. Hard to imagine a Bobby Knight lasting 20+ years at a school anymore though.

What I take from all of this:

I think this is what people are asking the U of MN to do:

assemble a pool of candidates and evaluate them. If one candidate is clearly the best, hire them, regardless of skin color.
BUT - if you have two candidates that are relatively equal, and one is a minority, then hiring a minority candidate will accomplish two goals. 1st - hire a quality coach and 2nd - make the athletic dep't more diverse. Nobody is saying the U should hire an unqualified coach. They are saying that, if you can find a quality candidate who happens to be a minority, that can be a win-win situation.

and I still maintain that hiring a black men's basketball coach is a smart move, because - let's face it - most of the D1 men's BB players are black, and a black coach might be a plus in recruiting.

assemble a pool of candidates and evaluate them. If one candidate is clearly the best, hire them, regardless of skin color.
BUT - if you have two candidates that are relatively equal, and one is a minority, then hiring a minority candidate will accomplish two goals. 1st - hire a quality coach and 2nd - make the athletic dep't more diverse. Nobody is saying the U should hire an unqualified coach. They are saying that, if you can find a quality candidate who happens to be a minority, that can be a win-win situation.

and I still maintain that hiring a black men's basketball coach is a smart move, because - let's face it - most of the D1 men's BB players are black, and a black coach might be a plus in recruitin

Or a warm body. Seriously hope Coyle is watching the tournament and sees the style of coaching that has been embarrassing the B1G teams.

and I still maintain that hiring a black men's basketball coach is a smart move, because - let's face it - most of the D1 men's BB players are black, and a black coach might be a plus in recruiting.
Isn't this the kind of mentality we are trying to avoid?

Isn't this the kind of mentality we are trying to avoid?
I think if you're confused by the mixed messaging of "we need to treat everyone the same and stop looking at skin color" while at the same time "we need to hire a coach with the right color skin", I'm almost certain you are not alone. It is very, very strange, to say the least

Top Bottom