Souhan: Development of Tanner Morgan has helped transform Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

If Tanner Morgan can recover from a concussion in time to play Saturday against Northwestern, he will attempt to burnish one of the best stories in college football: How a guy who couldn’t win a starting job as a freshman became a star who elevated an entire program as a sophomore.

If he can’t play, something even more interesting might happen: P.J. Fleck will test his depth at the position that could separate him from his predecessors.

If Morgan can’t play on Saturday, Fleck will choose (or alternate) between true freshmen quarterbacks Cole Kramer and Jacob Clark. Fleck also has received a commitment from Athan Kaliakmanis, a four-star prospect out of Illinois, who is part of the 2021 recruiting class.

With Annexstad expected to receive a redshirt season because of his injury, the Gophers could be holding high-level quarterback competitions for the foreseeable future. They could also find themselves riding Morgan to a big-time bowl game, then asking themselves whether he gets to keep the job.

“We have a young man who is committed out two years, and we have four quarterbacks right now,” Fleck said. “I know they’re young and they’re going to keep developing and getting better and there’s competition within the group, which is really healthy.”

Go Gophers!!
And unusual.

per Souhan:

If Tanner Morgan can recover from a concussion in time to play Saturday against Northwestern, he will attempt to burnish one of the best stories in college football: How a guy who couldn’t win a starting job as a freshman became a star who elevated an entire program as a sophomore.

If he can’t play, something even more interesting might happen: P.J. Fleck will test his depth at the position that could separate him from his predecessors.

If Morgan can’t play on Saturday, Fleck will choose (or alternate) between true freshmen quarterbacks Cole Kramer and Jacob Clark. Fleck also has received a commitment from Athan Kaliakmanis, a four-star prospect out of Illinois, who is part of the 2021 recruiting class.

With Annexstad expected to receive a redshirt season because of his injury, the Gophers could be holding high-level quarterback competitions for the foreseeable future. They could also find themselves riding Morgan to a big-time bowl game, then asking themselves whether he gets to keep the job.

“We have a young man who is committed out two years, and we have four quarterbacks right now,” Fleck said. “I know they’re young and they’re going to keep developing and getting better and there’s competition within the group, which is really healthy.”

Go Gophers!!
And unusual.
My complete happiness at the QBs position.

Coach Fleck appears to have known what he had in a player when he recruited this young fella. By all appearances he is a heck of a decent young man as well.

PJ is making it pretty clear that Tanner isn’t guaranteed the starting job next season. Will it really be a “competition?” It will be interesting to see how he walks that fine line.

PJ does seem serious that there will be a competition for the starting job next year.
That being the case...they seem to always have a tough time picking the winner. So the real question will be how short is the leash for whoever wins the job? Imo nobody can play well looking over their shoulder. Tanner knew it was his job this year because the freshmen were too far back and Zack was out. And he’s played great!

After what we have seen this year and after Smith went last year I for one am very happy that they have a tough time choosing. That means the next man up will be very solid for the Gophers and the fear of injury while it would suck wouldn't be a death blow.

After what Tanner Morgan has done this season there should never be a competition as long as he’s around. It’s his job unless he falls off a cliff. A guy leads us to the best season in our lifetime including a win over a Top 10 team? It’s disrespectful...

After what Tanner Morgan has done this season there should never be a competition as long as he’s around. It’s his job unless he falls off a cliff. A guy leads us to the best season in our lifetime including a win over a Top 10 team? It’s disrespectful...

You’re not wrong. He’s 12-1 in his last 13 games, and leads the Big Ten in passing efficiency. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Ryan Burns was clamoring for Annexstad last summer, but here’s what he had to say tonight. I think it’s safe to say he’s a convert.

....I'm 100% going on record stating that his 2019 season is the greatest season from a Gopher quarterback in your entire lifetime. That includes mine, but I've only been on this planet for 27 years, and it's without question the best in that era....

Unless we import an elite grad transfer true dual threat QB I can’t see a scenario of anyone unseating Morgan or any reason for that to happen. What more do you want in a quarterback? The “competition” was always smoke and mirrors- or we have a very peculiar staff.

The Gophers should be very potent offensively next year - they do lose Smith, Brooks and Johnson but their offensive line will return intact and will finally have some quality depth, but they do have quality returning for replacements. Plus, you have Morgan back at QB - they should be able to light up the scoreboard. You have to let Morgan QB this team as long as he can - we have just not seen anyone like him here maybe ever!

Morgan is invaluable.. and he's only a Soph. Bateman and Ibrahim will be back along with Winfield (I think) and a bunch of others. Looking forward to 2020!

Top Bottom