Souhan: Coyle would be aggressive in replacing Pitino

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jay:

The Gopher men's basketball team lost both games last week to the two worst teams in the Big Ten and talks of Richard Pitino being replaced after the season seems to be gaining momentum. Star Tribune Sports Columnist Jim Souhan joined me on WJON today. He says one hurdle for the University is buying out the remaining portion of Pitino's contract while the University is hurting for money due to the pandemic. Souhan says if the University is willing to move on from Pitino he expects Athletic Director Mark Coyle to be aggressive in searching for a candidate based on how aggressive he pursued P.J. Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

So one of those games was against ourselves?

Funny! Yes, perhaps more precise wording like "the two teams with the worst conference records" would have been more appropriate. Last week Minnesota did indeed look like the worst conference team. They have 3 games left to show that they aren't.

Great insight Souhan. I thought Coyle would be passive and wait for everyone else to fill their vacancies....
I can see Coyle sitting back in his office with his feet on his desk after firing Pitino, "Now I just have to wait for the phone to ring with all these coaches dying to some to Minnesota!"

or

He will have Fleck and the Football ZOOM Recruiting Team in his office roto-dialing agents for the guys he wants before another Chauncey Billups gets fired from another Denver and possibly snags his diamond in the rough.

I'm guessing it's closer to the latter or he already has his guy before the announcement.

Never fire until you have the replacement in hand.
NE's then AD got burned when he fired the FB coach and his sure thing replacement turned out to not a sure thing.

Never fire until you have the replacement in hand.
NE's then AD got burned when he fired the FB coach and his sure thing replacement turned out to not a sure thing.
Don't worry he's got Eddie Conroy or Lindsted ready to take over..

Top Bottom