Souhan: Building program with transfers has merit for Gophers coach Richard Pitino

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Could Richard Pitino, in his own way, be devising a strategy that could allow Minnesota to compete with better Big Ten programs?

Pitino, like Beard, isn’t going to outrecruit the best programs in the country. He, like Beard, might be able to keep certain local players at home — Beard kept Jarrett Culver in Lubbock, and Pitino kept Daniel Oturu in Minnesota — but can’t bank on recruiting talent superior to Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Indiana, among others.

What Pitino may be able to do is offer an ideal landing spot for veteran transfers, players who will enable him to field an experienced team that could give him an advantage over, or at least a fighting chance against, teams relying on talented youngsters.

Here’s his problem: Pitino is dependent on the NCAA making a decision that benefits student-athletes. That rarely happens without lengthy litigation.

On Thursday, the NCAA board of governors recommended delaying a change to the transfer waiver process that would permit all athletes to switch schools once without sitting out a season.

If all transfers were allowed, it’s possible the next time the Gophers take the court, their starting lineup would include Marcus Carr, Drew Peterson, Liam Robbins and Brandon Johnson. All four transferred from other colleges. The fifth presumed starter would be Gabe Kalscheur of DeLaSalle.

Add to the rotation Eric Curry, Isaiah Ihnen, Jamal Mashburn Jr. and Jarvis Omersa, and the Gophers would have a deep and promising rotation.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe my view is idealistic and outdated, but actually do enjoy seeing younger players develop in the program and become stars their junior and senior years. My two favorite players in the past 6 years or so were Murphy and Mason. As a fan you see them begin to build an identity over time and its a tangible value.

Souhan has been irrelevant for years. Out of touch like Sansevere.

Souhan has been positive at times but he literally knows nothing about college hoops.
Maybe Souhan has lightened up in recent years (I mostly stopped reading the Strib a while back), but I remember him having turned pretty much exclusively negative before quit reading. Maybe he's gong back to his earlier days! I used to really like him!

Maybe my view is idealistic and outdated, but actually do enjoy seeing younger players develop in the program and become stars their junior and senior years. My two favorite players in the past 6 years or so were Murphy and Mason. As a fan you see them begin to build an identity over time and its a tangible value.
I agree. But you also have to build and take what you can get. If you cant get players out of high school who you think you can mold. Have to go elsewhere. As a coach your obvious main objective is just to win.

It is shifting in a way that the smaller schools get the development years and the P5 get the developed years...

souhan knows baseball, and I don’t waste my time reading Reusse.

It is shifting in a way that the smaller schools get the development years and the P5 get the developed years...

And that's just not good for the game. It's becoming more and more a rich get richer system. The number of Thursday/Friday upsets will decline. Bad for the game.

Where have you been? Have you not read Souhan before?
Yes, I have read his stuff along with every other twin cities sports writers for most of my life. Reusse is far more doom and gloom than souhan. I was just joking anyway so you need to relax. Yes souhan is also doom and gloom but not to the extent of reusse.

The point of the article is that one way to assemble a roster is with transfers. the advantage is that - if it's handled correctly - you wind up with a more experienced roster. you let some other coach go through the growing pains and you get to reap the benefits of the older, stronger player as a JR.

it worked for Hoiberg at Iowa State. So it could work for Pitino at MN. we'll see if that's the plan going forward.

And that's just not good for the game. It's becoming more and more a rich get richer system. The number of Thursday/Friday upsets will decline. Bad for the game.
Just like letting kids leave early was not good for the game. It has been a rich get richer system for many years.

Maybe now the "not so rich" can also get richer. It could even out the playing field so that a higher level P5 can grab a few late developing player to compete with the blue bloods rock star freshman. The lower level schools have been screwed for a long time, it just gets worse for them and less ids get the opportunity to play college sports.

Just like letting kids leave early was not good for the game. It has been a rich get richer system for many years.

Maybe now the "not so rich" can also get richer. It could even out the playing field so that a higher level P5 can grab a few late developing player to compete with the blue bloods rock star freshman. The lower level schools have been screwed for a long time, it just gets worse for them and less ids get the opportunity to play college sports.
The vast majority of transfers do not work out that well. Even Hoiberg did not have that great of record, look it up. One sweet 16, no conference titles. He was able to sell guys that he played in the NBA. 5 Tourneys in 6 years is impressive but it came at a cost to other programs. The elite non blue bloods will continue to get the transfers that do well. I think we have done pretty well with transfers but we will not get to the top 3rd of our conference that way. Plus many of them come with problems. So i still do think it can be a useful tool.

Last edited:

Yes, I have read his stuff along with every other twin cities sports writers for most of my life. Reusse is far more doom and gloom than souhan. I was just joking anyway so you need to relax. Yes souhan is also doom and gloom but not to the extent of reusse.

So now you do agree, Souhan is also doom and gloom. Your "joke" didn't make any sense and I was never not relaxed, but okay.

Top Bottom