Souhan Article

IronRanger91

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/on-wild-twins-claeys-gophers/408799355/

Writing an opinion column for a daily newspaper can be tricky.

I was prepared to rip into the poor leadership of U president Eric Kaler and athletic director Mark Coyle last week before Kaler held a press conference revealing that he had met with the players and that they were no longer going to boycott the Holiday Bowl.

That caused me to pull my punches.

Now we have more information: That the players were fuming when Kaler held his press conference. Now I believe Kaler and Coyle did botch their handling of this situation.

Now they have another chance to flop: With their decision on head coach Tracy Claeys.

If Kaler and Coyle believe that Claeys somehow mishandled the alleged sexual assault, then he may have to go. Short of that, they have little reason to fire him.

Whatever your opinion on Claeys' capabilities, he just went 9-4 and won a mid-level bowl game with an impressive coaching performance. Maybe that gets you fired at Alabama; it's probably deserving of a raise at Minnesota.

So if they fire him, it will because they showed a lack of leadership or because he fired off a poorly-thought-out Tweet.

If they fire him for lack of leadership that would be an epic moment in the history of hypocrisy. If they fire him for a Tweet, they're being short-sighted.

There is only one reason to fire Claeys: If they're sure they can hire someone dramatically better.

Given that the Gophers replaced Glen Mason with Tim Brewster, Joel Maturi with Norwood Teague and Tubby Smith with Richard Pitino, that would be a roll of the dice.

I don't know where Claeys will take this program, but he's a very good defensive coach coming off a reasonably successful season. I say he should stay...unless there is something to the story that we don't yet know.

This is about the only time I could completely agree with everything he has written in an article. Was actually very good.

Soupcan is a windbag, but this is exactly the point I have been making in most my posts, complete lack of leadership. If anyone should be shown the door, it is Kaler, then Coyle.

This is about the only time I could completely agree with everything he has written in an article. Was actually very good.

Only part I don't agree with is maybe the notion that they pull the trigger because they have someone dramatically better...

Overall not a bad article. Taking into account all the trash that's been written about the subject at the Pioneer Press it's damn near brilliant.

Overall not a bad article. Taking into account all the trash that's been written about the subject at the Pioneer Press it's damn near brilliant.

I'm sure those PioPress guys will take indirect shots at soupcan. I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't...because he somehow broke ranks and didn't "get the memo" so to speak.

Soupcan is a windbag, but this is exactly the point I have been making in most my posts, complete lack of leadership. If anyone should be shown the door, it is Kaler, then Coyle.

Both out the same day and time. Utterly disgraceful leadership and management.

There have been very few things recently published about the Gopher football program that I either agree with or have felt are not hard-core pandering to a shallow, uninformed, sensationalist driven public opinion. This is one of the few. Refreshing.

From what was posted here (I won't click it) there is not a single original idea in those paragraphs. It reads like a cut/paste from a lot of posts here.

From what was posted here (I won't click it) there is not a single original idea in those paragraphs. It reads like a cut/paste from a lot of posts here.
Agreed. It's a terribly generic opinion that says nothing.

Saint Paul still has a newspaper?

People here have been clamoring for a column like this for some time. We get it and the idea is generic and copy/paste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People here have been clamoring for a column like this for some time. We get it and the idea is generic and copy/paste.

Read the posts again. Quite a few supportive ones. Unless you think that Souhan writes for the Pioneer Press!

Ran into a coach and his family at MOA today. Had a brief chat and was surprised by his openness. He even thanked me for stopping him to visit.

Ran into a coach and his family at MOA today. Had a brief chat and was surprised by his openness. He even thanked me for stopping him to visit.

Anything you can share?

Wow! Never thought I would agree with Souhan! First time for everything!

When judging what Kaler will do, it is very important in this situation to differentiate what is good for Kaler and what is good for the U. In the case of the suspensions and Claeys, Kaler knows that what is right and what is good for the U is not what is good for his career. He unquestioningly hung the players out and if he does the same to Claeys he will be a hero to the people that run the world of PC academia. He could put himself in line for an Ivy League gig if he appeases them.

But let's remember, what is right is very rarely popular.

When judging what Kaler will do, it is very important in this situation to differentiate what is good for Kaler and what is good for the U. In the case of the suspensions and Claeys, Kaler knows that what is right and what is good for the U is not what is good for his career. He unquestioningly hung the players out and if he does the same to Claeys he will be a hero to the people that run the world of PC academia. He could put himself in line for an Ivy League gig if he appeases them.

But let's remember, what is right is very rarely popular.

Very good thought. "Bonus" for Kaler though, is it seems like a big chunk of the public wants T.C. gone! Women who have been assaulted, relatives and friends who know them, racists, people who were just flat out disgusted by the report, people who hate football, those that just hate the U: they would all be on Kaler's side if he fired Claeys.

Now add in all the Gopher Fans who have wanted Claeys replaced for a myriad of reasons already, and Kaler would have to be pretty damn brave NOT to fire Claeys.

Tim? How brave do you think he is?

Wow, a blind squirrel found a nut! Nice to have at least one sports guy show some support for coach Claeys.

Top Bottom