Souhan: Adam Weber "has a better NFL future than Tim Tebow"

Weber doesn't have comparable production either.

Tebow had 5.5 TDs for every INT
Weber had 1.4 TDs for every INT

Tebow had a TD every 11.3 PA
Weber had a TD every 22.1 PA

Tebow averaged 9.3 yards per passing attempt
Weber averaged 6.7 yards per passing attempt

Tebow was a statistically better thrower than Weber, by a lot, in every measurable way.

You are making theses comparisons like they happened under similar circumstances? You really aren't going to make me look up each of the multiple draft choices rev Tebow had on offense with him like percy harvin and both pounce brothers to name a few?

Let's make it simple, I don't believe one person on this board including yourself would say that he could have put up Adam Weber type numbers if he were a
gopher.

You are making theses comparisons like they happened under similar circumstances? You really aren't going to make me look up each of the multiple draft choices rev Tebow had on offense with him like percy harvin and both pounce brothers to name a few?

Let's make it simple, I don't believe one person on this board including yourself would say that he could have put up Adam Weber type numbers if he were a
gopher.

No, i'm really not. I have said multiple times in this thread that Tebow's numbers will be inflated compared to Weber's. I obviously agree with that, i'm just saying that you said that Tebow and Weber's numbers were comparable, and they are not. Tebow's numbers absolutely blow away Weber's numbers, it's not even remotely close.

I agree with you that is partially to do with the amount of talent around Tebow. However, you said their numbers were comparable and they are not.

As to the original point, I really hope that i'm wrong. I'm not a Tebow fan at all and I am a huge Gopher homer. I really hope that i'm wrong and that Weber has a better NFL career than Tebow. There aren't many scenarios that I would enjoy more than Adam Weber eventually beating Tebow out of a job, and being a good starting QB. The kid gave everything to my favorite sporting "team" (Gopher football), so i'm a huge Weber homer. I'm rooting for Adam Weber and i'd love to have an "i told you so" about this argument in 2 years. I just don't think Weber will ever be a full time NFL starter and i'd be shocked if he ever guided an NFL team to a playoff victory while throwing for 300 yards +.

I just don't think Weber will ever be a full time NFL starter and i'd be shocked if he ever guided an NFL team to a playoff victory while throwing for 300 yards +.

And I won't be shocked the next time Tebow goes 6-22 for 60 yards and the offense puts up 3 points.

From my first hand experience going through the recruitment process, which included no less than 10 Minnesota high school players offered by the U and my 4 years of interaction with u players and their families, and my inside interaction with players and their families at the school to east. It's spoken as fact that mn fans suck becuase of what Wren stated. Hell, I Have said as much.

Want in on a joke? The joke is Wisconsin fans believe that anyone who wears W on his helmet is the best player in all of college football. Mn fans believe that anyone who wears a M on their helmet sucks. If Adam would have taken the scholarship Alvarez begged him take he would have played on a national stage and been high draft choice....and the same knuckle head Mn fans that criticize him would be complaining how great he is and saying we need to keep players like him at home.

My point? You are entitled to your opinions bur your comments does have a negative impact on gopher recruits.

Is this a chicken or the egg argument? Could it be that Wisconsin fans think the Badgers players are great because they are winning games while the Gopher fans think their player "suck" because they are not winning games? Would the reactions of the fanbases be different if you switched the records around? I do think Minnesota fans underrate some of the talent that has played for the Gophers, but I the fanbase is pretty positive/respectful of players as a whole when you consider the lack of on field success. Also, I know the last 4 Mason classes contributed a total of 3 NFL draft picks (with Decker in the 3rd round being the highest pick by far), so there has been a shocking lack of talent on the Gophers roster in comparison to the rest of the Big Ten. NFL scouts don't give a damn about what fans think about a certain player, hell Willie Parker went from essentially a backup at UNC to a starting RB for the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

And I won't be shocked the next time Tebow goes 6-22 for 60 yards and the offense puts up 3 points.

Neither would I, but that's really beside the point. I don't think either of them are going to be good NFL QBs. No matter how bad Tebow is from here on out, he still has accomplished some things that not a lot of players will accomplish. Until Weber wins a few regular season games, wins a playoff game, etc.....Tebow can continue having atrocious games and he'll still have a better career than Weber.

No, i'm really not. I have said multiple times in this thread that Tebow's numbers will be inflated compared to Weber's. I obviously agree with that, i'm just saying that you said that Tebow and Weber's numbers were comparable, and they are not. Tebow's numbers absolutely blow away Weber's numbers, it's not even remotely close.

I agree with you that is partially to do with the amount of talent around Tebow. However, you said
their numbers were comparable and they are not.

As to the original point, I really hope that i'm wrong. I'm not a Tebow fan at all and I am a huge
Gopher homer. I really hope that i'm wrong and that Weber has a better NFL career than Tebow.
There aren't many scenarios that I would enjoy more than Adam Weber eventually beating Tebow
out of a job, and being a good starting QB. The kid gave everything to my favorite sporting "team"
(Gopher football), so i'm a huge Weber homer. I'm rooting for Adam Weber and i'd love to have
an "i told you so" about this argument in 2 years. I just don't think Weber will ever be a full time
NFL starter and i'd be shocked if he ever guided an NFL team to a playoff victory while throwing for
300 yards +.

My bad....I miss understood you.

Is this a chicken or the egg argument? Could it be that Wisconsin fans think the Badgers players are great because they are winning games while the Gopher fans think their player "suck" because they are not winning games? Would the reactions of the fanbases be different if you switched the records around? I do think Minnesota fans underrate some of the talent that has played for the Gophers, but I the fanbase is pretty positive/respectful of players as a whole when you consider the lack of on field success. Also, I know the last 4 Mason classes contributed a total of 3 NFL draft picks (with Decker in the 3rd round being the highest pick by far), so there has been a shocking lack of talent on the Gophers roster in comparison to the rest of the Big Ten. NFL scouts don't give a damn about what fans think about a certain player, hell Willie Parker went from essentially a backup at UNC to a starting RB for the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

I completely disagree with you. I'm generalizing of course but there is self loathing in the Mn fan base that doesn't exist anywhere else that I know of....at least not to this degree.

Neither would I, but that's really beside the point. I don't think either of them are going to be good NFL QBs. No matter how bad Tebow is from here on out, he still has accomplished some things that not a lot of players will accomplish. Until Weber wins a few regular season games, wins a playoff game, etc.....Tebow can continue having atrocious games and he'll still have a better career than Weber.

You touched on something that I will go into in more depth on later this year....the lack of actual science behind the NFL draft.

Go read a forum for an SEC team after a loss to a team they should have beat or a close win to a team they should have blown out. I have seen multiple example of people calling for coaches heads or to bench players are close WINS. The attitude here is not exclusive to MN. It happens everywhere.

That certainly will happen, but the fact is Tebow guided his team to the playoffs and won a game in his rookie year. Weber did not. Personally, I'd be shocked if Weber ever started a game in the NFL without 3 other qb's on the team being hurt first. I doubt he'll ever throw a pass and he's not as good as Tim Tebow. That said, the kid made the NFL, got a rookie contract and has nothing to apologize for. I have no idea what Denver saw in him, but these are the same football brains who think Tebow can win a SB. So if you think they are dumb for starting Tebow, how can you think the same guys are smart for picking up Weber? I'm pretty confident neither will ever be a star in this league and Tebow has already won more games this year than Weber will play in his career...

That certainly will happen, but the fact is Tebow guided his team to the playoffs and won a game in his rookie year. Weber did not. Personally, I'd be shocked if Weber ever started a game in the NFL without 3 other qb's on the team being hurt first. I doubt he'll ever throw a pass and he's not as good as Tim Tebow. That said, the kid made the NFL, got a rookie contract and has nothing to apologize for. I have no idea what Denver saw in him, but these are the same football brains who think Tebow can win a SB. So if you think they are dumb for starting Tebow, how can you think the same guys are smart for picking up Weber? I'm pretty confident neither will ever be a star in this league and Tebow has already won more games this year than Weber will play in his career...

In their defense, they were pretty much forced to start Tebow. The fanbase was clamoring for him all season and they refused to play him (had him at #3 on their depth chart), and came in during mop-up time and almost brought them to a comeback and they started winning. The general consensus is that the "powers that be" in Denver, ala the horsetoothed gun slinger (Elway) does not think Tebow can win consistantly in the NFL, but is sort of forced to play him.

The regime that drafted Tebow is gone. This crew that inherited Tebow is the one that thought Adam Weber would make a decent practice squad /NFLFA QB.

You make some great points. And I agree I would have to give the nod to Tebow, I just couldn't adamantly say someone who sees it differently is being completely unreasonable.

The Duane/Ball argument doesnt hold up because unlike Weber/Tebow, Duane doesnt have comparable production.

lol Weber has comparable production to a 2 time national champ and heisman trophy winner. you have gone completely insane!

Weber signed a 2 year deal this week.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_19767473

I've said it several times. Weber is probably better than quite a few quarterbacks who have held a clipboard on an NFL sideline. We'll see if he ever gets to do more than that at the pro level, but like some others here, I just don't get the thrashing he takes from his detractors.

lol Weber has comparable production to a 2 time national champ and heisman trophy winner. you have gone completely insane!

Sounds hilarious doesn't it?.................until you actually THINK about it.

You seem to come from the camp (you are not alone) that if the team wins you are great and if the team lose you suck.

If that were true Chris Leak who also won a National Championship at Florida while putting up some awsome numbers would be in the NFL. Of course we know he isn't and Adam is.

Riddle me this? Do you believe Tim Tebow would have won more games as a gopher than Adam or put up better numbers? Give it some thought. If so how many?

See what I'm saying? Even if you believe Tim would have, it's in the same ball park as Adam right? Now go to the next step. Tim was a 1st round draft choice while Adam was a free agent. Big difference huh? One that doesn't warrant it (the disparity) based on ability, would you agree?

Tim won at Florida because he was sourrounded more superior coaching and players...in addition (not because of) to his incredible will to win.

Tim won more games as a Bronco than Kyle Orton because the DEFENSE stepped up...in addition (not because of) to his incredible will to win.

Tim is the starting QB in front of Adam Weber as a by product of having the opportunity play with some incredible athletes and be coached by one of the best in the business (Myer). NOT, because he out played Weber as a pro.

Is Adam the next Joe Montana? I'm not saying that...hell I'm not saying he is an NFL starting QB. All I'm saying is regardless of who anyone believes is the better of the two, one isn't heads above the other...at this point.

And before I forget...Gino Torreta won a heisman and a national championship also.

Sportsfan24, it seems to me you are making a little bit of a ridiculous argument. First of all, you are completely taking away Tebow's rushing ability out of what he did in college. He had a huge impact there, much much larger than Adam. Secondly, it seems what you are saying is that if you have a MAC QB that puts up gawdy numbers on a bad team, he is clearly the best QB in the nation because he is playing with less talent.

Or maybe Denver just plain sucks at evaluating QBs. ;)

Sounds hilarious doesn't it?.................until you actually THINK about it.

You seem to come from the camp (you are not alone) that if the team wins you are great and if the team lose you suck.

If that were true Chris Leak who also won a National Championship at Florida while putting up some awsome numbers would be in the NFL. Of course we know he isn't and Adam is.

Riddle me this? Do you believe Tim Tebow would have won more games as a gopher than Adam or put up better numbers? Give it some thought. If so how many?

See what I'm saying? Even if you believe Tim would have, it's in the same ball park as Adam right? Now go to the next step. Tim was a 1st round draft choice while Adam was a free agent. Big difference huh? One that doesn't warrant it (the disparity) based on ability, would you agree?

Tim won at Florida because he was sourrounded more superior coaching and players...in addition (not because of) to his incredible will to win.

Tim won more games as a Bronco than Kyle Orton because the DEFENSE stepped up...in addition (not because of) to his incredible will to win.

Tim is the starting QB in front of Adam Weber as a by product of having the opportunity play with some incredible athletes and be coached by one of the best in the business (Myer). NOT, because he out played Weber as a pro.

Is Adam the next Joe Montana? I'm not saying that...hell I'm not saying he is an NFL starting QB. All I'm saying is regardless of who anyone believes is the better of the two, one isn't heads above the other...at this point.

And before I forget...Gino Torreta won a heisman and a national championship also.

Tebow would have won A LOT more games than Weber and put up better stats. Do you think a Tebow led offense would have been shut out against SDSU? I have no idea how to quantify, but Tebow is a very obvious winner and leader. I think Adam Weber is a great kid and I like him, but stop it. Tebow is a starter and won a playoff game. They are on the same team and NFL coaches who have their reputations at stake and millions of dollars picked Tebow to be their starter and Weber to be on the practice squad. And Weber is the more pro style QB. You are just never going to back down in your Weber love. First it was the guarantee that he would be drafted because scouts would see his incredible talent. And now you are excusing the reasons why Tebow is starting and Weber is on the practice squad. I'll turn it around on you. Do you think Adam Weber would have won a Heisman trophy at Florida and 2 national titles?? Since you think Weber is better, would have have beaten Alabama in the SECCG and not been crying on the sidelines like that loser Tebow? Would Weber have never needed to make "the speech" because they wouldn't have lost to Ole Miss in the first place?

Tebow would have won A LOT more games than Weber and put up better stats. Do you think a Tebow led offense would have been shut out against SDSU? I have no idea how to quantify, but Tebow is a very obvious winner and leader. I think Adam Weber is a great kid and I like him, but stop it. Tebow is a starter and won a playoff game. They are on the same team and NFL coaches who have their reputations at stake and millions of dollars picked Tebow to be their starter and Weber to be on the practice squad. And Weber is the more pro style QB. You are just never going to back down in your Weber love. First it was the guarantee that he would be drafted because scouts would see his incredible talent. And now you are excusing the reasons why Tebow is starting and Weber is on the practice squad. I'll turn it around on you. Do you think Adam Weber would have won a Heisman trophy at Florida and 2 national titles?? Since you think Weber is better, would have have beaten Alabama in the SECCG and not been crying on the sidelines like that loser Tebow? Would Weber have never needed to make "the speech" because they wouldn't have lost to Ole Miss in the first place?

That's really not a strong argument. There are numerous QB's who won national titles and Heisman's who were NFL busts and scores of people who were NOT strong in college who have excelled in the NFL. I'll bet 12 years ago there were tons of MICHIGAN fans who would have told you Brady would never be more than a 3rd string QB in the NFL, if he even made the roster.

I'm not a Weber advocater by any stretch but the folks who display absolutely no recognition of the significance of changing offenses as often as the Gophers did AND the lack of a supporting cast around him are just plain laughable. "But he had Eric Decker!!!!" Yeah, okay... The brightest shining example you can point to in FOUR years of starting for the Gophers is a guy who got drafted in the 3rd round and missed chunks of time while playing with the Gophers anyway.

Good grief, you would think some would lighten up at least a LITTLE bit on the hatred/bashing after the guy got signed to a 2-year contract in the NFL. Seriously?

Tbow is basically done as an NFL QB. He is a very good competitor that allowed him to get as far as he has, but it is over.

Denver started out with a gimmick option to take advantage of his running game, but that was shut down starting with the Vikings game. He can not stand in the pocket and drive a team down the field, he can't even complete half his throws in passing drills. His only success in passing was when he would scramble away from the rush and chuck it down the field for the WR to run under it. He is competitive enough to make something happen when the play breaksdown, but he can't methodically make the passes to receiver on their routes. Next year the NFL defensives will eat him alive.

That's really not a strong argument. There are numerous QB's who won national titles and Heisman's who were NFL busts and scores of people who were NOT strong in college who have excelled in the NFL. I'll bet 12 years ago there were tons of MICHIGAN fans who would have told you Brady would never be more than a 3rd string QB in the NFL, if he even made the roster.

I'm not a Weber advocater by any stretch but the folks who display absolutely no recognition of the significance of changing offenses as often as the Gophers did AND the lack of a supporting cast around him are just plain laughable. "But he had Eric Decker!!!!" Yeah, okay... The brightest shining example you can point to in FOUR years of starting for the Gophers is a guy who got drafted in the 3rd round and missed chunks of time while playing with the Gophers anyway.

Good grief, you would think some would lighten up at least a LITTLE bit on the hatred/bashing after the guy got signed to a 2-year contract in the NFL. Seriously?
Huh? SF says that Tebow would have done worse than Weber if he had been in his shoes. So I'm asking if Weber would have done as well as Tebow in HIS shoes. Spread offense, Urban meyer coaching, same offense all 4 years. It's a legit question. If you think Weber is better, and he was best in a spread offense, how could you argue that he would have done worse than Tebow in that offense?

I don't hate Adam Weber. I think he is a classy kid and I always cheered him and never booed him (I did boo the decision not to give a backup ANY minutes at home down 80-0 at home vs TOSU). I fully believe he gave it his best effort and he has been the best gopher QB in the last 15 years if not more.

Tbow is basically done as an NFL QB. He is a very good competitor that allowed him to get as far as he has, but it is over.

Denver started out with a gimmick option to take advantage of his running game, but that was shut down starting with the Vikings game. He can not stand in the pocket and drive a team down the field, he can't even complete half his throws in passing drills. His only success in passing was when he would scramble away from the rush and chuck it down the field for the WR to run under it. He is competitive enough to make something happen when the play breaksdown, but he can't methodically make the passes to receiver on their routes. Next year the NFL defensives will eat him alive.

He threw for over 300 yards, 2 tds, and no ints against the Steelers defense in the playoffs. You are smoking crack.

I love how your criticism is that he would just chuck it down field for his WRs to run under it. :)

He threw for over 300 yards, 2 tds, and no ints against the Steelers defense in the playoffs. You are smoking crack.

I love how your criticism is that he would just chuck it down field for his WRs to run under it. :)

I don't really care about Tebow one way or the other, but your assertion that "one game a career doth make" really doesn't stand up to scrutiny. He had a great game against the Steelers that was fueled by his physical strength that keeps plays alive and his considerable arm strength that allowed him to find players down the field who did great jobs getting open after the original play had broken down. Rewind to the last two weeks of the regular season and we witnessed a Tebow that played so poorly against two of the league's weaker sisters (Buffalo and Kansas City) that it almost cost the Broncos a trip to the playoffs.

Tebow has a ton of athletic ability. So did former Bears' QB from the 1970s Bobby Douglass. So did former Bengals' first round pick Akili Smith. It takes more than athletic ability to play QB successfully in the NFL. I'm not saying Tebow cannot overcome his mechanical flaws to become a reasonably good QB, but he has a ton of work to do. I don't doubt for a minute that he will do everything he can to try to surmount those glitches, but there is work to do and anyone who doesn't see otherwise needs to take a closer look.

I don't really care about Tebow one way or the other, but your assertion that "one game a career doth make" really doesn't stand up to scrutiny. He had a great game against the Steelers that was fueled by his physical strength that keeps plays alive and his considerable arm strength that allowed him to find players down the field who did great jobs getting open after the original play had broken down. Rewind to the last two weeks of the regular season and we witnessed a Tebow that played so poorly against two of the league's weaker sisters (Buffalo and Kansas City) that it almost cost the Broncos a trip to the playoffs.

Tebow has a ton of athletic ability. So did former Bears' QB from the 1970s Bobby Douglass. So did former Bengals' first round pick Akili Smith. It takes more than athletic ability to play QB successfully in the NFL. I'm not saying Tebow cannot overcome his mechanical flaws to become a reasonably good QB, but he has a ton of work to do. I don't doubt for a minute that he will do everything he can to try to surmount those glitches, but there is work to do and anyone who doesn't see otherwise needs to take a closer look.

I don't think KC defense was the problem though.

I don't really care about Tebow one way or the other, but your assertion that "one game a career doth make" really doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

That's good, because that wasn't my assertion. My assertion is that it is preposterous to state that his career is over when he hasn't even started one whole season and has a playoff win with good numbers. Who cares what fueled his great game? Fact is, his career is far from over, and he's already been named the starter next year. I don't understand the obsession with trying to bring him down. And your characterization of Akili Smith is terribly wrong.

whether or not you liked Weber or thought he should be benched, he did what the coaches told him to do go out and play. The kid tried and nobody can ever accuse him of not trying,. He's gone and making money at something he loves to do. How many of you can say you are still chaseing your childhood dream and getting paid for it. GET OFF THE KIDS BUTT, HE'S GONE!!!!!!!!!!! With more class than 95% of the people here.

Looks like John Elway agrees with me and doesn't see an AWeb future:

How sold on Tim Tebow is Denver? After the Broncos completed their 2011 season, they did two things at quarterback: They named [Tebow] the starter heading into training camp this summer, and they posted a "help wanted" sign to fill the depth chart behind Tebow. "We will be in the market to find more quarterbacks," said John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations. "That's our approach with Tim being our starter as we go to training camp, that we'll look at free agency and the draft." The Senior Bowl's practices and North-South game in Mobile last week offered a great opportunity for NFL teams to evaluate draft-eligible quarterbacks not named Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/322711-on-elways-list-more-quarterbacks?xid=cnnbin

Your comparison to Bobby Douglas is right-on, including the criticisms he received at the time. The only difference is that Douglas was forced to play under center instead of the spread. That limited his effectiveness severely. If I recall correctly he was also left-handed as is Tebow.

Personally, I'd be shocked if Weber ever started a game in the NFL without 3 other qb's on the team being hurt first. I doubt he'll ever throw a pass and he's not as good as Tim Tebow. That said, the kid made the NFL, got a rookie contract and has nothing to apologize for. I have no idea what Denver saw in him, but these are the same football brains who think Tebow can win a SB. So if you think they are dumb for starting Tebow, how can you think the same guys are smart for picking up Weber? I'm pretty confident neither will ever be a star in this league and Tebow has already won more games this year than Weber will play in his career...

Hard when you have to wait more than a year to see if you were right...

StarTrib said:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have waived former Gophers quarterback Adam Weber. Weber was on the practice squad last season with the Bucs after having that same position with the Denver Broncos.

Top Bottom