Some positives

the great thing about Andre Hollins is that he doesn't need to learn any new skills to become a great player. He isn't one of those guys where we will keep saying wait until he learns to shoot, or wait until his ball handling is better. The skills are there. Now he just needs to mature a bit, and that will happen.

my wife thought I was crazy....

...but I got up off the couch and jumped for joy when Tubby got his technical. I just needed to see he was interested enough. Of course I didn't really see what he did to get it, and compared to the death stares of Ryan I am sure it was nothing but fearful refs giving a "makeup T". But I will take it.

It's going to be up to the players, over the next 8 months to take some pride and improve themselves. If I were Tubby, I'd pull Andre Hollins aside and privately tell him that this will be his team to lead if he chooses to work his fanny off during the summer in the weight room, shooting and in ball handling. The kid is the only leader they have perhaps along with Welch. I think the guys would follow Andre. Andre is capable of developing point guard skills. He made some nice passes into the post tonight and had zero ball handling turnovers.

Whenever I think that Tubby was giving big minutes to Ahanmisi earlier in the year instead of Hollins it ticks me off. Hollins should have been given the ball right away and gotten started learning through his mistakes.

Dre Hollins is the future & the sooner he gets up to speed as the leader of this team the better. Last night was the type of game that Welch would have done poorly in, i.e. guarding an athletic PG like Taylor. Welch is at his best against slower teams like Northwestern. As for not playing Hollins early in the year...he was injured.

the great thing about Andre Hollins is that he doesn't need to learn any new skills to become a great player. He isn't one of those guys where we will keep saying wait until he learns to shoot, or wait until his ball handling is better. The skills are there. Now he just needs to mature a bit, and that will happen.

Mostly agree but think he has some Point Guard skills to learn still. How to keep everyone involved, how to set up the offense, etc. Getting other people shots as opposed to just getting his own shot.

For a week or two. Not for two months.

That's incorrect. He rolled the ankle early & was probably "out" for a couple weeks, but he was reportedly hobbled for a couple months. Ryan at GI reported on this earlier in the year when people were asking why he wasn't getting more minutes. Hard to do much as a jitterbug type PG, with a bad wheel.

Dre Hollins is the future & the sooner he gets up to speed as the leader of this team the better. Last night was the type of game that Welch would have done poorly in, i.e. guarding an athletic PG like Taylor. Welch is at his best against slower teams like Northwestern. As for not playing Hollins early in the year...he was injured.

That's why I think each should be playing 30 minutes a game. 20 minutes together with Andre running the point, and 10 minutes each on their own. When Dre goes out, then Welch slides over to the point for about 5 minutes each half.

Mulligan: "Only thing uglier than the way Wisconsin plays is how they look." What do you mean by this?

Correct. I would assume that most people don't come here to read 6000 critiques of other people's posts.

It's a forum. That's why we all come here.

Not only was Dre hurt, but he didn't look half as solid as Welch did and we weren't yet looking ahead to next year.

Seems like every time a frosh puts together a couple of decent games someone fires up the Tubby blametrain for not playing this guy from day one! Would love to know what that non-conference record would have looked like with Dre, Coleman, and Eliason starting. Ugly.

Mostly agree but think he has some Point Guard skills to learn still. How to keep everyone involved, how to set up the offense, etc. Getting other people shots as opposed to just getting his own shot.

I file that under the maturation process. I was commenting more on his physical skills.

It's a forum. That's why we all come here.

You come here to see if Dr. Don approves of the manner in which someone posted? I come here for the exchange of observations and opinions regarding the BBall team, but to each his own...

You come here to see if Dr. Don approves of the manner in which someone posted? I come here for the exchange of observations and opinions regarding the BBall team, but to each his own...

"Jamalo giving Dr. Don hell for doing nothing more than critiquing other people's posts" should be in the dictionary as the definition for "hypocrisy".

"Jamalo giving Dr. Don hell for doing nothing more than critiquing other people's posts" should be in the dictionary as the definition for "hypocrisy".

Not sure what you are referring to. He was commenting on my original post.

Agree. He played like a freshman, but you sure can't miss the potential. I would put Joe and EE in your next group. Big holes in their game, but certainly not unexpected for freshman. I don't know how the drama will play out, but I'm guessing we can ride the sophomore class to be, back to where we want to be.

There just isn't enough muscle inside. No Trevor, no Mo. Skinny Rodney and finesse Ralph ( already 6' or more from the basket) and several 6' 5" guys aren't going to win many rebounding contests, especially on the offensive end. Lack of offensive rebounding has hurt us all season long. What also hurts is the many end-of-game point-guard turnovers. I love Dre, but his lapses in focus of being a point guard has resulted in weak and passive passes late in the game. Welch is guilty, too. In this strong conference there isn't much room for error. The player I am really watching is Oto. He seems to be getting more comfortable in the game and is battling inside. He is still too tense and hurried with his shots and therefore hesitates to take them. I just can't wait for his game to take-off! So, all the players have played well at times and then let a few critical mistakes creep in. Any of you made a mistake lately?

There just isn't enough muscle inside. No Trevor, no Mo. Skinny Rodney and finesse Ralph ( already 6' or more from the basket) and several 6' 5" guys aren't going to win many rebounding contests, especially on the offensive end. Lack of offensive rebounding has hurt us all season long. What also hurts is the many end-of-game point-guard turnovers. I love Dre, but his lapses in focus of being a point guard has resulted in weak and passive passes late in the game. Welch is guilty, too. In this strong conference there isn't much room for error. The player I am really watching is Oto. He seems to be getting more comfortable in the game and is battling inside. He is still too tense and hurried with his shots and therefore hesitates to take them. I just can't wait for his game to take-off! So, all the players have played well at times and then let a few critical mistakes creep in. Any of you made a mistake lately?

I feel the same way. Right now, he reminds me of Austin Hollins last year. Hollins always looked scared to shoot from the outside. Oto has a good jump shot, he just has to trust it. I think he will end up being a very good player for us.

I do say, what an exceptional fellow you are!

I feel the same way. Right now, he reminds me of Austin Hollins last year. Hollins always looked scared to shoot from the outside. Oto has a good jump shot, he just has to trust it. I think he will end up being a very good player for us.

How much better can Oto possibly get? He's going to be the second oldest player on the team next year -- just a month younger than redshirt senior Welch.

Plinnius said:
How much better can Oto possibly get? He's going to be the second oldest player on the team next year -- just a month younger than redshirt senior Welch.

Most agree guys don't hit their "peak" until about 30. Is Oto 29 right now?

Plinnius said:
You would make a perfect NBA GM. You and your team full of Wes Johnsons and Al Thorntons.

Sure sucks that Kevin Love couldn't get any better this season. I mean gosh, he's two years older than Oto, he's 23!!!!! If only Love were younger he could have really worked on his jump shot last off season and maybe won the 3 point contest this year or something!!!! Oh well, too bad that'll never happen since he is so old and all. Darn the wolves are screwed.

Sure sucks that Kevin Love couldn't get any better this season. I mean gosh, he's two years older than Oto, he's 23!!!!! If only Love were younger he could have really worked on his jump shot last off season and maybe won the 3 point contest this year or something!!!! Oh well, too bad that'll never happen since he is so old and all. Darn the wolves are screwed.

How has he improved? Love shot 41.7% from three last year. He was also a pretty good shooter in college.

It looks like the moderators removed a couple of our posts, but if you are ever in NYC, let me know and I'll buy you a beer. I suspect that we want the same thing for the UofM

Well I'm not yet sure...is "peep" a title I may assume or must it be conferred by you? Please advise.

I agree with you. My thought was he was brought in to make the 3 at the end of the half or when we were way down. Clem had a guy or so who did just that. He's much more versatile that I was led to believe. What can I say, I'm impressed with him.

BTW, the guy I'm really watching is EE for the same reasons as you.

So everyone in the world may as well stop practicing anything they do once they hit 20 because clearly they won't improve? Gotchya. Guys never ever improve anything at all once they get passed 20.

Btw, Welch is not redshirtted. He played one year at UC-Davis, then one year JuCo, then one year here.

Top Bottom