Some HS players upset at assigned jersey #s at U.S. Army All-American Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Kevon Seymour of Pasadena (Calif.) Muir was annoyed he had No. 41 instead of his preferred No. 1. And Seymour willingly admits he'll look at the rosters of potential colleges to see if No. 1 is available. If it's not, the school's chances of landing him diminish.

One was visibly upset.

Mike Davis of Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson made such a fuss about his assigned No. 16 that he was given a new number (14), making him the only player without his name on his jersey. But that didn't help - neither was the No. 28 he wanted.

Number assignments are a reccurring issue at all-star events. Not only are stars used to getting the number they want, many want the same number. So putting in requests (as all games ask the players to do) doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

"What are we going to do? We've got 35 kids who want a single-digit number, and we've only got nine," bowl official John Schmid said.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1313543

Go Gophers!!

I enjoyed the time spent watching the Semper-Fi All-American Bowl. Lemming and announcers said that honor, character, community work, and discipline are attributes which warrant invites to it (in addition to the talent). They said "All these kids have been told how great and special they are as athletes and when they get here, they get to spend time with the MARINES!" "They find out, in a quick hurry, that they aren't as special as they think they are."

Maybe they had fits about numbers as well there - but I don't recall reading about it or hearing about it.

If I was a coach I would drop my offer to those kids. They will be nothing but trouble with attitudes like that. A stupid number!

What else would you expect?

SOME of these over-hyped and pampered "four and five star" teen-agers have come to EXPECT to be shown "the LOVE..." all the time. It's dudes and dudettes like that lemmings character who earn money off the reputations of these high school "legends..." that feed the enormous egos of some of these kids. Notice, I did not say ALL of these kids... ; 0 )

It is people who buy the fantasy recruiting ranking information from the lemmings of the world who insure that the lemmings of the world will go to even greater lengthsin the future to expose these over-hyped prima-donnas so that they can charge more for their fantasy high school football recruiting rankings.

You get what you paid for, people...DON'T knock the kids...knock the lemmings of the high school fantasy recruiting ranking business...and...take a good, long look in the mirror. Some of those kids are ONLY reading their own high school fantasy football recruit rankings...complete with their very own four or five stars...and...they are only going "...jersey-shore..." because they are the stars of their very own high school fantasy recruiting ranking "all-star" fantasy football recruit nationally televised hype-show. They are acting the way they think a super-star fantasy high school recruit should act when he/she doesn't get the number on his/her jersey that he/she thinks he/she is entitled to...

They are how they are because we make them who we want them to be by our devotion and our attention to them.

Really...that's all that fuss about jersey numbers amounts to...

; 0 )

There are some 5-star flops, and there are some 1-star gems, but generally the more highly regarded recruit is going to be a better than a less highly regarded recruit. If you're going to call recruit evaluations "fantasy" than you must claim that there is no correlation at all between recruit rankings and how good the player is. But if you do that, you're just plain wrong.

The most sought after players have a lot of options. That's life. But these players started being prima donnas long before they were assigned any stars. We're also not hearing from the majority of players who didn't have a problem with getting a different number than the one they were used to. It's easy to shake your fist at "kids today", but people who have a lot of options tend to be more demanding, and always have.

If I was a coach I would try and approach the number issue the way they do it in the NFL. If someone has the number you want then figure out a way to convince them to give it to you. In the NFL this usually involves a check of some kind but college kids could figure out a non-financial way to work it out.

Otherwise take a different number and get over it.

In the NFL, numbers are a different matter, people move from team to team, and their number is part of their "brand". Players also tend to want to keep their high school number in college or to keep their college number when they go to the pros. But when you're in college, people outside of your hometown aren't going to remember your high school number, you get a chance to create a new identity and brand when you move up to college or to the NFL that you don't when you make a lateral move between NFL teams.

Let the 5 stars come to Minnesota so coach Br... Kill can coach em up. A little discipline cures all, so I've read here. LOL.

In that article it looks like UGA isn't locking down the borders. Of the 6 Georgia players in the all star game, 4 players are commited other schools and the two remaining uncommitted players have UGA on their list.

There are some 5-star flops, and there are some 1-star gems, but generally the more highly regarded recruit is going to be a better than a less highly regarded recruit. If you're going to call recruit evaluations "fantasy" than you must claim that there is no correlation at all between recruit rankings and how good the player is. But if you do that, you're just plain wrong.

The most sought after players have a lot of options. That's life. But these players started being prima donnas long before they were assigned any stars. We're also not hearing from the majority of players who didn't have a problem with getting a different number than the one they were used to. It's easy to shake your fist at "kids today", but people who have a lot of options tend to be more demanding, and always have.

["I"] don't have to do anything, but you can spin it any way you want. My comment was on the lemmings of the world who make their money by peddling their hype to some of the people out there in fantasy recruiting reading land...

In Golden Gopher Country all that stuff is pretty much not relevent to the winning and losing of Big Ten Football Games. Here in U of M Golden Gopher Country, any coach who can't coach 'em up and tries to rely on recruiting a bunch of star-ranked recruits (when the majority are in the 2 to 3 star twilight zone range of total non-commitment as to their talent levels by the lemming like rankers...just isn't going to make it very long as a Big Ten Coach...I highly advised the fine folks here a GH to not take it out on the kids...but...to rip those darn lemmings out there who make money hyping the kids...and making all those really gutsy 2 and 3 star ranking calls that are handed out like "candy..." to the vast assemblage of recruits across the country. THAT is the really funny part about this "fhsfrr" nonsense...And, the Gophers are going to be somewhere in the 2 to 3 star range all of the time. Average all the fantasy star numbers out...our coach had damn well better be able to coach 'em up a LOT...

; 0 )

If his version of events is true then that is downright awful reporting by Rivals to drag his name through the mud like that. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle in these cases.

We should all know by now that the media can report what every they want without repercussions now days.

So, let's get this straight. Seventeen year old kids with exceptional athletic gifts complain vociferously about minute details when afforded the privilege of participating in an event sponsored by an organization (the United States Army) whose people demonstrate extraordinary courage and sacrifice.

Maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere????

Top Bottom