Some ESPN + Love for Oturu.

march madness

Reaction score
Ranking the top 25 players in college basketball 2 months in.
Oturu is #4. Not sure Carr isn't just outside the top 25 too.

The most underrated stat for post players might be minutes, and that's where Oturu really shines. It's all well and good that his numbers look impressive across the board, for example, but it's the fact that he can inflict that level of performance on opponents so relentlessly that makes him so valuable to Minnesota. Oturu has been on the floor for 88% of the Gophers' minutes to this point in conference play, and he's coming off a 30-point performance (on 12-of-16 shooting) against Michigan. The sophomore is possibly the most complete player in this season's unusually strong and deep Big Ten, and that's saying something.

Wow. That's some very high praise. Well deserved.

No way he doesn't go in the lottery!

Oturu will be in the lottery if he is ranked as the 4th best college player.
Tre will get drafted about where Tyus (last in first round) was or lower.
Hurt is going to need at least another year to be drafted in the first round. He would have been so much better off here to showcase his game.

Hurt is going to need at least another year to be drafted in the first round. He would have been so much better off here to showcase his game.
Bingo. So sick of the lie fed to these kids that only the Dukes of the world will prepare them for the NBA. Coach Pitino does just fine developing kids. His problem has been convincing them. I’m convinced that the same kids who went to Puke would be drafted just as high if they had come to Minnie. In fact, maybe higher, as their talent would have been showcased even more. Oturu is a prime example.

I do wonder how much better off this team would be? Hurt is an amazing talent for sure, but we have Carr and Oturu, who are older and more polished and at least right now very efficient scorers. If Hurt were here I wonder how much he would be focused on "showcasing his game?"

He would be great for kick out and spot up shooting, but that isn't really showcasing his game for the NBA. I don't maybe I'm completely off here and still projecting on the Humphries year when he was using the Gophers to showcasing his game for the NBA.

Tyus wasn't drafted last in the first round.

Big question coming into this season was certainly if Oturu could stay on the floor. Question answered.

Great to see Oturu's composure and beast mode last night. This kid knows what he is doing and has raised the bar for this program. Taking #11 to task after the game, showed as much heart as I seen from the Gophers MBB in a long while. IMO this attitude will propel this team to the NCAA.

Agreed on all, especially Hurt.

Bingo. So sick of the lie fed to these kids that only the Dukes of the world will prepare them for the NBA. Coach Pitino does just fine developing kids. His problem has been convincing them. I’m convinced that the same kids who went to Puke would be drafted just as high if they had come to Minnie. In fact, maybe higher, as their talent would have been showcased even more. Oturu is a prime example.

I agree. Hopefully this sets an example that playing in the Big Ten for a team like the Gophers and playing and developing well can get you into the NBA lottery as well. I hope Chet Holmgren may consider staying home after seeing what's going to happen with Oturu.

Top Bottom