So You Wanna Be a D1 Basketball Coach, Huh?

I was thinking Hawaii but realized the travel schedule would be challenging. But you live in hawaii...recruitng would be hard too. Don't LOVE flying that much. But you live in Hawaii.

Ended up decided to live on the mainland. I want a major conference job because if I fail, I want the money they get paid. I don't like being cold very much. But I don't want tons of pressure to win. I want a tradition but nothing too crazy to live up to. Decided to take the job at Texas, in Austin. Small enough hipster town, football school so they'll leave me alone enough. Tons of money, easy to recruit, will lose by job in 9 years but will have made $30+ mil

I was thinking Hawaii but realized the travel schedule would be challenging. But you live in hawaii...recruitng would be hard too. Don't LOVE flying that much. But you live in Hawaii.

Ended up decided to live on the mainland. I want a major conference job because if I fail, I want the money they get paid. I don't like being cold very much. But I don't want tons of pressure to win. I want a tradition but nothing too crazy to live up to. Decided to take the job at Texas, in Austin. Small enough hipster town, football school so they'll leave me alone enough. Tons of money, easy to recruit, will lose by job in 9 years but will have made $30+ mil
Ask Shaka about that....
That's why I say Oklahoma. Almost all the same positives, but less pressure. Lon Krueger will coach there until he decides to retire.

Ask Shaka about that....
That's why I say Oklahoma. Almost all the same positives, but less pressure. Lon Krueger will coach there until he decides to retire.

Austin >>>>>>>>> Norman

Cleveland State for the same reason - low expectations. Another benefit is due to their continuous malfeasance (fake classes, providing pole dancing for midnight madness, using shoe company agents to funnel money, having someone else take the act test for a player) they are always a step away from the death penalty. In which case i would be able to collect some nice paychecks without being there long enough to get a chance to be fired.

Will "Night Putting" be their next violation?

I would choose UC-Santa Barabara solely for the weather.
That was my second choice. Coast runs east and west, all day sun on east beach and the breeding ground for the best volleyball players on the planet.

How could they?
Suppose it is possible to get a grand slam hire but very few programs get more than one great coach. Not a easy job either as they rarely get DMV kids, admissions is as strict as anywhere, required early major, no slack jock classes. That hire was about perfect fit.

Tark would for sure not have been surprised by any Cleveland St. violation :). He was no doubt onto something.
That's me. UNLV Cheatin', women, gambling. I'd let it all loose. Not looking for a long time, just a good time.

That's me. UNLV Cheatin', women, gambling. I'd let it all loose. Not looking for a long time, just a good time.

Those games with Duke were amazing. Those matchups were anticipated all season and didnt disappoint.

I remember this bit from a Rick Majerus article. A pretty sweet gig. RIP Rick...

DREAM JOB: Actually there is one place Majerus might go if he ever got the chance.

St. Mary's.

Come again? That's right, St. Mary's - the small Jesuit school located in Moraga, Calif. It has a Division I basketball program that plays in the West Coast Conference with schools such as Gonzaga, Santa Clara and Pepperdine.

"I've always thought it's someplace where I'd like to end up," said Majerus, who would enjoy a less high-profile job where he'd have time to be a teacher as well as coach. "I like the area, the campus, the arena . . . I just like it."

Older photo before the Woolsey fire. Campus was okay but the fire burned houses all the way to the ocean on both sides of the campus

I’d want to coach ucla. Love walking into pauley pavilion

Top Bottom