So what bowl game will the Gophers get?

Frisco is the stadium that hosts the FCS national title game.

NDSU or SDSU has been there every. single. year. since the 2011 season.

They would piss themselves to be able to claim that they played in Frisco at a later date than Minnesota.
Aren't the NDSU fans likely to piss themselves anyway?

I don't think SDSU fans are any better!

Maybe slightly more humble, having gone through many years of football being mediocre and submitting to NDSU big brother.

I think it's the Gophers turn to go to Nashville in the big ten undercard bowl rotation
I am convinced that if Minnesota gets to a bowl game, it won't be this one. Just like the sports gods hate Minnesota sports teams, they are also the devil on the shoulder of bowl committees'.

I want the Quick Lane Bowl. I know it's not a warm weather trip and probably a G5 opponent but I'm always in Detroit for Xmas and I'll be at the game.

Otherwise the Rat's Mouth Bowl against Coastal Carolina sounded good

One wrench to throw in with the Quick Lane Bowl is that 5-6 Eastern Michigan is playing Mo Linguist’s 3-8 Buffalo for bowl eligibility tonight. Buffalo is a 5 point favorite. If EMU wins, I would think there’s a decent chance they get the Quick Lane Bowl because it’s nearby, and I think they’d try to avoid having Minnesota play Eastern Michigan a second time this season.

One wrench to throw in with the Quick Lane Bowl is that 5-6 Eastern Michigan is playing Mo Linguist’s 3-8 Buffalo for bowl eligibility tonight. Buffalo is a 5 point favorite. If EMU wins, I would think there’s a decent chance they get the Quick Lane Bowl because it’s nearby, and I think they’d try to avoid having Minnesota play Eastern Michigan a second time this season.
Interestingly enough, Buffalo is the favorite in Vegas

I don’t know enough about either team at this point in the year but picking an underdog against a 3-8 team seems appealing

Guys, the nature of the bowl season has changed. Its not 1967 anymore, where even an 8-2 Big Ten co-champ Gopher team had to stay home. The rules have changed and that's what we play with. It gives players an extra few weeks of practice and game experience, and the fans a chance to see the team again. Nobody is confusing it was the 1977 Cotton Bowl or anything like that. Let's see how we do vs Wisconsin. If we win we will likely be playing somewhwre. If we lose, it is not guaranteed, but at least they tie the bowl bid to academic accomplishment, which is something (and supposed to be the most important thing anyways).

This would be an epic story line to spice up an otherwise ho hum game
Can this actually happen? That would actually mean something to both teams and bring meaning to an otherwise worthless bowl game

Absolutely agree. No bowl, yes on more recruiting even though there is rule that shuts down recruiting during bowl season. Still could meet as a staff and get their shxx in order.
What should be done re recruiting that hasn't been done?

I am convinced that if Minnesota gets to a bowl game, it won't be this one. Just like the sports gods hate Minnesota sports teams, they are also the devil on the shoulder of bowl committees'.
We’re going to get the new Winnipeg Bowl.

I say we have our own bowl like Hawaii and invite the same level SEC team and have a fun time at US bank stadium. Lower bowl tickets only. Never happen but would be fun. No traveling, tailgating weather permitting and more people that maybe never saw a Gopher game. Kids under 16 free.

Billds traveling approximately 9 miles to cheer on the Maroon and Gold in The Axe Bowl this weekend.

We hear the opponent is motivated

The Gophers need to find a way to make it through 4 quarters of complementary football. Big challenge as we've come understand this edition of the Gophers this season..

Badgers 6-5.

Minnesota 5-6.

Here's what we're playing for, if the Gophers win:

— We keep the Axe
— We set up the possibility of another winning record (with a bowl win)
— We are more likely to one-up Wisconsin for bowl position (we might get a better destination than they do)
— We would then have beaten both Iowa and Wisconsin in the same season.

Badgers 6-5.

Minnesota 5-6.

— We keep the Axe
— We are more likely to one-up Wisconsin for bowl position (we might get a better destination than they do)
Plus- opportunity to extend our bowl win streak (6 and counting)

Badgers 6-5.

Minnesota 5-6.

— We keep the Axe
So many reasons for the Gophers to come out loose, play wide open and walk all over the Badgers' surprisingly mediocre defense. So many reasons for a tight, uncreative, overly-cautious, micro-managed offense to pucker up, make the Badgers' defense look like Iowa's, and hand the game to WI. Which offense will PJ bring into the stadium? I'm thinking maybe both, allocated in the order set forth above, between then first and second halves.

Or maybe our defense will save the day. Go Gophers!

So many reasons for the Gophers to come out loose, play wide open and walk all over the Badgers' surprisingly mediocre defense. So many reasons for a tight, uncreative, overly-cautious, micro-managed offense to pucker up, make the Badgers' defense look like Iowa's, and hand the game to WI. Which offense will PJ bring into the stadium? I'm thinking maybe both, allocated in the order set forth above, between then first and second halves.

Or maybe our defense will save the day. Go Gophers!

"Play wide open"...

I know there's a majority here who would probably agree with that.

As for me, I think winning this game is the most important thing, for all the reasons I stated above. Does playing "wide open" and/or "loose" increase the Gophers chances to win this game? I'm in the minority; I say no.

Eleven games in, and I haven't seen anything that indicates this team can play that style well enough to win with it. Winning should be the prime objective, rather than playing "wide open". The Gophers have the best chance to win when they play to their own strengths, and execute. It won't guarantee a win, but it's their best chance.

EDIT: I'm assuming "wide open" and "loose" in your post refers to being more pass-oriented. Instead, maybe you meant "less uptight" or "less nervous".

Last edited:

And win the seniors final game in TCF (*cough* Huntington) Bank Stadium!

"Play wide open"...

I know there's a majority here who would probably agree with that.

As for me, I think winning this game is the most important thing, for all the reasons I stated above. Does playing "wide open" and/or "loose" increase the Gophers chances to win this game? I'm in the minority; I say no.

Eleven games in, and I haven't seen anything that indicates this team can play that style well enough to win with it. Winning should be the prime objective, rather than playing "wide open". The Gophers have the best chance to win when they play to their own strengths, and execute. It won't guarantee a win, but it's their best chance.

EDIT: I'm assuming "wide open" and "loose" in your post refers to being more pass-oriented. Instead, maybe you meant "less uptight" or "less nervous".
Maybe he is hoping Fleck will be less uptight, less nervous, less frightened, and less chickshit.

Maybe he is hoping Fleck will be less uptight, less nervous, less frightened, and less chickshit.

To me, he never seems "frightened" or "nervous", so I guess those are subjective descriptions of his demeanor. I have no idea what "chickenshit" means in this case. Does that mean he doesn't call enough pass plays? Is he "chickenshit" because he doesn't run 'z right, double flea-flicker trickeration'?

I have to guess that it's because (in your view) he goes into "turtle mode", meaning he doesn't call enough pass plays.

You and I disagree on that.

Last edited:

Bowl games have been tough to guess recently, but they’ll be nigh on impossible this year given the mediocrity (or parity — whichever you prefer) in the B1G.

Mich-OSU winner to CFP
Mich-OSU loser has an outside chance at the CFP, but depends on FSU/Wash/Georgia/Etc.
If not, Mich-OSU loser + PSU to NY6. My guess is one will be Orange so Citrus can pass
Iowa to Tampa
Maryland-Rutgers winner to Nashville or Vegas

After that, you could have as many as SIX teams finish 6-6 to fill four games: Nashville/Vegas, NYC, Phoenix, & Detroit — so 2 teams would fill other bowls. It’s also possible you only have FOUR teams at 6-6 (let’s assume MN is one w/ Nebraska & Illinois losing), so B1G has the perfect number. Minnesota has already been to Phoenix & NYC in this cycle, so those are off the table leaving Nashville/Vegas or Detroit in that scenario. You’d think in that scenario NW gets the better bid with 7 wins and a win over MN, but MN was on the exact OPPOSITE side of that equation two years in a row…so it really is impossible to predict. Right now, I’m hoping we’re still guessing come Saturday night lol…

Bowl games have been tough to guess recently, but they’ll be nigh on impossible this year given the mediocrity (or parity — whichever you prefer) in the B1G.

Mich-OSU winner to CFP
Mich-OSU loser has an outside chance at the CFP, but depends on FSU/Wash/Georgia/Etc.
If not, Mich-OSU loser + PSU to NY6. My guess is one will be Orange so Citrus can pass
Iowa to Tampa
Maryland-Rutgers winner to Nashville or Vegas

After that, you could have as many as SIX teams finish 6-6 to fill four games: Nashville/Vegas, NYC, Phoenix, & Detroit — so 2 teams would fill other bowls. It’s also possible you only have FOUR teams at 6-6 (let’s assume MN is one w/ Nebraska & Illinois losing), so B1G has the perfect number. Minnesota has already been to Phoenix & NYC in this cycle, so those are off the table leaving Nashville/Vegas or Detroit in that scenario. You’d think in that scenario NW gets the better bid with 7 wins and a win over MN, but MN was on the exact OPPOSITE side of that equation two years in a row…so it really is impossible to predict. Right now, I’m hoping we’re still guessing come Saturday night lol…

Vegas sounds good. So does Nashville.

Badgers 6-5.

Minnesota 5-6.

— We keep the Axe

The Axe game is big no matter how the season has gone. But it would definitely change the perception of the year if it means Axe, decent bowl, and a winning season (assuming a bowl win).

The Axe game is big no matter how the season has gone. But it would definitely change the perception of the year if it means Axe, decent bowl, and a winning season (assuming a bowl win).

Yes, indeed.

For an added bonus, beating Wisconsin might also nudge the Badgers into a "lesser" bowl. That would be good.

This is a big game coming up playing for the Axe with bowl implications on the line. Ending the season on a positive note will instill some excitement moving forward with this young sqaud. Fleck is 4-0 in bowl games too.

To me, he never seems "frightened" or "nervous", so I guess those are subjective descriptions of his demeanor. I have no idea what "chickenshit" means in this case. Does that mean he doesn't call enough pass plays? Is he "chickenshit" because he doesn't run 'z right, double flea-flicker trickeration'?

I have to guess that it's because (in your view) he goes into "turtle mode", meaning he doesn't call enough pass plays.

You and I disagree on that.
When you unfailingly run a simple, limited offense you make it easy for your opponent to defend. Predictability gives the defense a big advantage.

Doesn’t matter how many passes you throw or running plays called. It’s when you call them that keeps the defense off balance. Nothing profits more from this than the running game.

It’s always easier to run when the defense does not dare crowd the line of scrimmage.

Top Bottom