So what about Tubby?

GoFerit

Reaction score
Depending on what happens this season, we will have to think about what is best for the program in the long run with respect to Tubby.

1) Unless Tubby gets us to the Tourney and/or demonstrates that we do have enough quality players to build a future with, I believe that Tubby shall not be our coach after the contract expires. In other words, no extension or new contract. That is the minimum. He is not a young coach. We don't need to wait a few years for him to turn things around after this season.

Though still possible that Tubby may recruit well without the extension or a new contract, it is improbable as not many good players would want to play for a coach with a short shelf life. Under the circumstances, by the time the current contract expires, it is likely, I presume, that we will have a tattered roster accumulated over the last couple of years of his tenure during which he will have his two hands tied behind his back in recruiting. It will have serious long term effects on the program.

For that, we should seriously consider a possibility to work out a deal with Tubby such that our program will be in a better position to recruit, especially for the 2014 class. If Tubby is serious about his legacy, he will want a fresh start elsewhere even for less money. So, it may not be as hard to cut a deal. And, I am sure we will be able to attract a good coach with a salary of 1.5 million or better.

2) If we make the Tourney or if Tubby does not get us to the Tourney but develops the players by the end of the season, I think Tubby should stay. And, we will be better off guaranteeing him about 5 years or so of employment such that he can position himself better to recruit. I do not know the structure of the current contract. But, I would think that a new 5 year contract, lighter on base pay but heavy on incentives/bonuses, can be worked out.

3) The very worst thing we can do regardless of the outcome of this season, IMO, is to let his contract run its course after the season without making sure that Tubby stays here for a long haul. This will severely compromise our recruiting. If the consensus is that Tubby does not even have enough players worthy of Big Ten, please take an action after the conclusion of the season. If the consensus is otherwise, please seriously consider a new contract for him.

It simply is not constructive for the sake of the program that people incessantly and pathologically complain, often without sufficient evidence, about everything Tubby does. If the evidence suggests Tubby be gone, then let it be so. Please, wait until the end of the season.

Rational post - good read.

The contract situation will be fascinating to watch unfold - especially when you add in the complexity of the new ticket structure and a likely new AD. Lots of important pieces all dependent on one another.

Winning can clear up a lot of the ambiguity.

Go Gophers!!

Depending on what happens this season, we will have to think about what is best for the program in the long run with respect to Tubby.

1) Unless Tubby gets us to the Tourney and/or demonstrates that we do have enough quality players to build a future with, I believe that Tubby shall not be our coach after the contract expires. In other words, no extension or new contract. That is the minimum. He is not a young coach. We don't need to wait a few years for him to turn things around after this season.

Though still possible that Tubby may recruit well without the extension or a new contract, it is improbable as not many good players would want to play for a coach with a short shelf life. Under the circumstances, by the time the current contract expires, it is likely, I presume, that we will have a tattered roster accumulated over the last couple of years of his tenure during which he will have his two hands tied behind his back in recruiting. It will have serious long term effects on the program.

For that, we should seriously consider a possibility to work out a deal with Tubby such that our program will be in a better position to recruit, especially for the 2014 class. If Tubby is serious about his legacy, he will want a fresh start elsewhere even for less money. So, it may not be as hard to cut a deal. And, I am sure we will be able to attract a good coach with a salary of 1.5 million or better.

2) If we make the Tourney or if Tubby does not get us to the Tourney but develops the players by the end of the season, I think Tubby should stay. And, we will be better off guaranteeing him about 5 years or so of employment such that he can position himself better to recruit. I do not know the structure of the current contract. But, I would think that a new 5 year contract, lighter on base pay but heavy on incentives/bonuses, can be worked out.

3) The very worst thing we can do regardless of the outcome of this season, IMO, is to let his contract run its course after the season without making sure that Tubby stays here for a long haul. This will severely compromise our recruiting. If the consensus is that Tubby does not even have enough players worthy of Big Ten, please take an action after the conclusion of the season. If the consensus is otherwise, please seriously consider a new contract for him.

It simply is not constructive for the sake of the program that people incessantly and pathologically complain, often without sufficient evidence, about everything Tubby does. If the evidence suggests Tubby be gone, then let it be so. Please, wait until the end of the season.[/QUOTE]

Killjoy. The GH is closed until Spring. :)

Top Bottom