So, how was tailgating/pregame scene?

Where am I going to go for pie?
I almost spit out my soda when I read that. How old are you Steve French? Sounds like the world is rapidly passing you by.
I sure hope that you understand Mr. French the word tailgating. My group does a fantastic job of doing it up right on Saturday mornings and it doesn't bother me in the least if the people next to me are having a bible lesson or playing a healthy game of tip cup. I think what you need to understand is that if you do decide to tailgate that you need to get along with everyone. Of course if the people next to you are bumping into you or throwing up on your car...but if they are not, why do you care?

I suggest that you park on the total opposite side of the parking lot that you parked on this past Saturday so you are not next to the tip cup playas again.

Let the U of M security do their job...we don't need any narks.

i'm going to show up with a pie for you. Because our group will surely be playing lots of drinking games. Have fun trying to stop us!

and playhosea you beat me to it, nice post! The french are a'holes!

Unreal. I can only assume that you were referencing the days of Prohibition....? Were you the guy who used to drive up and down the Valspar lot harassing those who were having fun? It might be a long season for you, sir.

Motion to rename the game flip cup, "Steve French" :)

Seriously, going after people in the lots in the same year they remove beer from the stadium seems like piling on. This is after all college football.

Motion to rename the game flip cup, "Steve French" :)

Seriously, going after people in the lots in the same year they remove beer from the stadium seems like piling on. This is after all college football.

If you think I'm "piling on" by suggesting that people follow the rules set by the University, than yes, I am "piling on". I didn't mean to come of as some curmudgeon. I only wanted to nip a problem in the bud.

I'm not afraid to address problems head on and will pay a visit to those openly playing drinking games around me. I'll give guilty parties opportunity to clean up their act before involving anyone else.

Let's all have a fun football season. Ski-U-Mah!!!

Steve, if you do end up breaking up another parties drinking game will you come back on here each week and let us know how everything is going? I'd like to know what week you come back to your car after the game and something just isn't right, like a few eggs on the windshield.
That would be taking things to a whole other level but depending on who you tick off who knows.

If you think I'm "piling on" by suggesting that people follow the rules set by the University, than yes, I am "piling on". I didn't mean to come of as some curmudgeon. I only wanted to nip a problem in the bud.

I'm not afraid to address problems head on and will pay a visit to those openly playing drinking games around me. I'll give guilty parties opportunity to clean up their act before involving anyone else.

But that's the point. If your only problem is that they're disobeying the "tailgate commandments" then you are piling on. If instead, they are being obnoxious or boorish (i.e. peeing in bushes, puking, leaving trash everywhere, etc) then yes, by all means talk to them and nip it in the bud. Assuming that anyone playing a drinking game is going to be a huge problem is frankly, extremely judgmental on your part.

As others have noted, this can be easily avoided if you choose to park away from these rowdy young 'uns. Live and let live man. Jeebus!

Steve, if you do end up breaking up another parties drinking game will you come back on here each week and let us know how everything is going? I'd like to know what week you come back to your car after the game and something just isn't right, like a few eggs on the windshield.
That would be taking things to a whole other level but depending on who you tick off who knows.

I would like to think that fellow fans aren't so childish that they resort to petty vandalism to solve conflict.

I don't drive anymore, so I guess people will just have to throw eggs at me. Ha!

From the U of M's website:

The following items and activities are not allowed in tailgate lots.
• Kegs, party balls, drinking game accessories, and large quantity or common source containers of
alcoholic beverages

Does this mean you want to ban tables and plastic cups?

I would like to think that fellow fans aren't so childish that they resort to petty vandalism to solve conflict.

I don't drive anymore, so I guess people will just have to throw eggs at me. Ha!

If you interfer with thousands of tailgaters' good times that may be arranged.
Seriously, get a life! Like others have said if there is puking, outreagous swearing in front of kids or intimidating drunk Aholes peeing next to you, feel free to talk to them, or call a security patrol.
But to assume that a game of Beer Pong or Flip Cup is out of line is not acceptable, I suppose you want to have police go into bars and make sure noone has more than 2 beers, or bust into frat houses to make sure noone is drinking. Seriously? I hope you come to your senses because you are definitly NOT in the majority on this issue. And just to play your game, the University is against drinking game accesories, not drinking games, what are you going to tell the security patrols? They have cups! They have a table! They have a ping pong ball! They have a beanbag!
Man I still hope you are a bit.

Mr. French I'm not going to insult your desired tailgating and gameday experience. Everyone should have as much fun as possible on gameday and that means they do things and enjoy it in their own way. In actuality, the Varsity Cafe and pie story is kinda neat to hear about given how the times have changed. But being bull-headed and pro-active by showing up the kiddies with a rule book, fire and brimstone is a BAD idea. Just for your own sake don't be that d-bag.

Instead I suggest something that actually works without retaliation---get to know them! Imagine being Minnesota nice on the first day, getting to know the tailgaters around you, introducing yourself and exchanging facts about each other. Talk some football. Share some stories. The drunken college types suddenly see you as an uncle or grandpa they don't want to embarrass themselves in front of, and unless they're d-bags, they'll respect your space and your wishes. Give people a chance to prove they can behave. If they prove time and time again to be a problem, that's when you involve the authorities. So I implore you to also behave like a human being.

But for all I know you'll read this, not understand how to positively diffuse situations at all because you're devoid of tact, and be what you've thus far implied you'll be--a shallow fun-hating, bull-headed whiner who gets a kick out of showing up complete strangers and supplying means to an end you don't fully comprehend. Prove me wrong. Reading stuff on the internet, people come off differently than they imply.

Wow, is it really not obvious that somebody is winding you up with this Steve French alias??? Ignore it, it'll go away.

Wow, is it really not obvious that somebody is winding you up with this Steve French alias??? Ignore it, it'll go away.

It was a pretty entertaining bit for a few posts, if they are smart, they will leave the Steve French name with one last over the top post.

Unlike most of you, I don't have an alias. Steve French (B.A. 1962) Perhaps we'll cross paths this Fall, I'll introduce myself and you can tell me your real name.

InternetToughGuy-732335_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

Let's all hope that, for his own safety, Steve French doesn't sit in section 231.

Those people are animals. They make a Hells Angels motorcycle rally look like a founders day picnic!

Why, oh why, did I pick the Ski-U-Mah lot?? Afraid there won't be enough room for ourselves and the Ego of Mr. Steve (damn proud to be) French.

Mr. French thank you for standing up for the rules against these hooligans. i would like to shake your hand and buy you some coffee on september 12th

Mr. French, weren't you the butler on "Family Affair"?

Nobody every played silly games with the singular purpose of getting so inebriated that they could stand up, much less watch the game. I'm going to make sure that this doesn't happen around me and my family.
QUOTE]

Wow, this post is making me feel like a pretty bad parent as I read this. Our 10 year old son played A LOT of flip cup last year and somehow managed to do it without getting inebriated since he used juice boxes or pop.

He is 11 this year and was roaming lots this past game. If you see him stumbling around, point him back to our lot so we can sober him up before the game ;)

Steve,
If you are not kidding, I strongly suggest that when you look for a tailgating parking spot look for an older group to park next to. If you are so easily offended by people playing games, drinking and being loud, look for a quiet, over 50 crowd to be near. Think a little before you rat out fellow tailgaters - if you're known as the buzz kill of a parking lot, you may be in for a long season of pranks.
At the bar>>>>>> I'm over 50 and I don't plan on being quiet in the tailgate lot or the stadium. Hers to you.:):clap: To Steve. I hear there is a real quiet spot for you to enjoy the game. It's called your coach in the living room. Or in your case the dead room.:mad:

Steve - Do not come to a game in Madison. You will NOT have fun.

The games that I have a problem with, and which destroy the family friendly environment, are the games such as the one Goldy's Army mentioned. I'm not sure of the names but most of them involve plastic cups, a table, and the consumption of lots of beer in a very short time. That, my friends, is what the UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA tailgating policy prohibits. I fully support the ban and will take time to point violators out to the proper authorities to ensure that tailgating is fun for everyone, not just those who want to get smashed.

Have fun playing bean bag toss and what have you. I will only report the egregious offenders of the tailgating policy, so that we can ALL have a good time.

i know you are just being a wise-guy, but i will say it anyways.....eat sh!t and die you turd! :rolleyes:

Two things here:
1. If you actually think the guards in the lot will actually listen to you and follow you around to find people playing drinking games will all I can say is you're an idiot.

2. If you were to come up to me with a guard I would dare you to actually prove I'm playing a "drinking game" because I would take you to court if need be and I owuld love for you to try and prove that in a court of law and then I would counter sue you for damages and believe me I know some good lawyers.

Top Bottom