So, here I sit, listening to the Cure…

KillingJar

Reaction score
Looking over some football stuff to last me over until Stanford and Washington kick off tonight. You see, I live in Arkansas, and I'm an Arkansas fan. However, since we have a joke for an interim head coach right now, our season has gone to the crapper and I don't have much to hope for locally, so I have started paying attention to other teams and games, seeing what is out there until our real hire is made in December/January. I couldn't help but notice Minnesota and UTSA are the only two teams in FBS football who are 4-0 and are not only not ranked in the AP, but are also not receiving ANY votes.

This is kind of an outrage, is it not? I don't care either way for Minnesota, but you're a classic program in a major conference. There isn't a single topic complaining about this on the front page. Recent history be damned, there are only a handful of 4-0 teams in the nation right now, and your competition has been just as stiff as most of the rest. Seems like you should get some hard-earned credit when it's due.

Anyway, I guess I kind of feel your pain. Arkansas has been seen as the bastard child of the SEC, and we never got much respect except for two seasons under Petrino. I know what it's like to feel undervalued or disrespected at times. Best of luck to you, I'm always up for rooting for the underdog, and it'd be awesome if you ran the table and showed the snobs what for.

There was a topic mentioning this a while ago. Most think that even 5-0 won't be enough to get the Gophers ranked. It may take 6-0 for that to happen. Plus, it all becomes academic if the gophers end up 5-1 or 4-2. This team is getting better, faster than most had predicted. However, the B1G in general isn't getting much respect and a team that is coming off of back to back 3-9 seasons REALLy isn't getting national respect. Not saying that this is an outrage. It is just the reality of a team that is building and has been off the map for as long as this one has.

But are you smiling? SMILE.

Just kidding. Thanks for the kind words. I think we're all sort of on egg shells since we've gone 3-9 in consecutive years and while we'd certainly love more respect, there are still plenty who are taking a "wait-and-see" approach. The B1G has not been kind recently to our Gophers.

Nah, it's not an "outrage". Season's Rankings "for better or worse", start with assumptions based upon last year's results. The Gophers therefore started the season WAY behind in the polls. Add to that an unimpressive win over a bad UNLV team. That equals no ranking yet.

Now, if they beat a favored Iowa team and follow it up with a victory against Northwestern and STILL aren't ranked then yeah, that would be an outrage.

Hope the Hogs turn it around!

I don't know, Iceland. If you're coming off back-to-back 3-9 seasons, then 4-0 should garner more respect than this. Even if you lose and get completely knocked out of the rankings, 4-0 in the 5th week should be top 20 consideration. I don't know, you obviously know your team better than I do, I just find it very odd that Minnesota has not received a single vote for an AP ranking. The people at the Arkansas forums would be calling conspiracy right now, lol.

PS - Screw you Gopher07 :) See, I'm smiling!

"So, here I sit, listening to the Cure…"

I just hope you're not listening to "Boys Don't Cry".

I did think we'd get a few votes at least, it sucks but I mean, it's not a surprise. Keep winning and it'll take care of itself, I figure.

I don't know, Iceland. If you're coming off back-to-back 3-9 seasons, then 4-0 should garner more respect than this. Even if you lose and get completely knocked out of the rankings, 4-0 in the 5th week should be top 20 consideration. I don't know, you obviously know your team better than I do, I just find it very odd that Minnesota has not received a single vote for an AP ranking. The people at the Arkansas forums would be calling conspiracy right now, lol.

PS - Screw you Gopher07 :) See, I'm smiling!

The got 11 votes in the Coach's Poll if that helps? You're right about the A.P. The Gophs may be 4-0, but maybe the A.P. voters are regular readers of Gopherhole. After every one of those victories there have been plenty of posts complaining how bad the Gophers have looked!:eek:

There were fewer of those posts after Syracuse though, maybe the A.P. guys will come around too.

The longer we can stay unranked while still winning, the better, IMO. I love the fact that our pre-game intro video shows Gray (I think it is him) wearing a jersey with the name "underdog" on the back. Coach Kill is obviously playing up that angle and it will be tougher to do that if/when the Gophers do start getting more national respect.

The longer we can stay unranked while still winning, the better, IMO. I love the fact that our pre-game intro video shows Gray (I think it is him) wearing a jersey with the name "underdog" on the back. Coach Kill is obviously playing up that angle and it will be tougher to do that if/when the Gophers do start getting more national respect.

Great point! I can see Kill posting the poll on the Bulletin Board as a backdrop to his speech about playing like underdogs. I like it.

Maybe my memory sucks - but the last time we were ranked I recall it was followed immediately by grave misfortune on the field. We should pay the AP pollsters to leave us out the whole season.

yes, I am too lazy to look it up but I'm pretty sure there was a ranking in play when the Gophers were riding high in 2008 when they returned home to lose another very gut wrenching game to Northwestern. And then fully imploded after that.

Maybe my memory sucks - but the last time we were ranked I recall it was followed immediately by grave misfortune on the field.

Yes and no. In the AP poll, we moved up to #25 (6-1) during the bye week before the Purdue game, and won 17-6 at Purdue. We moved up to #20 (7-1) after the win, then lost on the game-ending TaINT to Northwestern, and then proceeded to lose the rest of our games that season. We haven't been ranked since.

Yes and no. In the AP poll, we moved up to #25 (6-1) during the bye week before the Purdue game, and won 17-6 at Purdue. We moved up to #20 (7-1) after the win, then lost on the game-ending TaINT to Northwestern, and then proceeded to lose the rest of our games that season. We haven't been ranked since.

Here's how it goes:
When you're ranked, you throw an intereception that ends in a last minute interception runback.
When you throw a last minute interception you end up losing your homecoming game to Northwestern
When you lose your homecoming game to Northwestern weeks later someone named Lois Feldman and Ross Walsh get busy in the bathroom.
When Lois Feldman and Ross Walsh get busy in the bathroom you lose 55-0 to the Hawkeyes
When you lose to the Hawkeyes, they get the pig.

Don't get ranked and lose the pig.

KillingJar, the Razorbacks and Gophers passed have crossed before. I recall a bowl game and also I believe that's where Holtz was before he came here. As a kid, I always liked the unis and wishbone they ran. Hopefully we can keep it rolling here, and you guys find a good coach (hopefully not ours :)

@Iceland, the Coaches Poll is, unfortunately, not as "prestigious" as the AP. The AP's rankings will become null when the BCS releases their info, too.

@nokomismod, it wouldn't surprise me, we've both been around for quite some time. Did we win or lose? I like Clemson's uniforms, myself. Well, good luck vs. Iowa in a couple of days, just thought I'd ask if anyone else found it a little suspicious that your team has gone undefeated without a sound. Good luck to UTSA, too. If I'm not mistaken, it's their first year in Division 1 FBS football. They'll make quite a splash if they can keep this up.

Top Bottom