Ski - U - Mah

Gopherlovin

Reaction score
After all of the support on here to get the Ski-U-Mah chant going down at UNLV, a few of us tried to get it started. We got 3-4 semi-decent ones, but overall it went about as well as the gameday attempt with flags a couple years ago. Was hoping it would have taken off a bit more, but went about as expected.

Would love to see the chant get some traction in TCF, but it's going to take a lot of work and time if it is ever going to take off and become part of the gameday atmosphere.

After all of the support on here to get the Ski-U-Mah chant going down at UNLV, a few of us tried to get it started. We got 3-4 semi-decent ones, but overall it went about as well as the gameday attempt with flags a couple years ago. Was hoping it would have taken off a bit more, but went about as expected.

Would love to see the chant get some traction in TCF, but it's going to take a lot of work and time if it is ever going to take off and become part of the gameday atmosphere.

I saw your group making a valiant attempt. This is just a suggestion....I think it's too complicated for the average non-Gopher Hole follower. Perhaps we should do the Ski-U-Mah together until it gets traction. Me and Mrs. Rescooter did out part, but we received "questioning looks" (why are these people yelling "MAH" at the top of their lungs?)

We need to do that cheer as it represents us so well and is one that only the U of M can do.

I encourage you to keep trying. It's a good one.

I like the chant myself, but you might get some blank stares from those who have no idea what Ski-U-Mah is and yelled at by others for being too loud.

I think a good progression for this chant might be to have everyone just say every syllable until it gets going and then at some point split it up with flags. Once people are accustomed to yelling it out, then you could adjust it to be a call and response type thing.

I think a good progression for this chant might be to have everyone just say every syllable until it gets going and then at some point split it up with flags. Once people are accustomed to yelling it out, then you could adjust it to be a call and response type thing.

That might be best. Telling them "you yell 'Ski' at this point, then this section yells "U" and finally this section yells 'Mah'" might be a bit complicated. Perhaps we should just get people to yell "Ski-U-Mah", and when they are used to that, get them to to more complicated cheers. Perhaps a more "grassroots" approach might work, rather than try to get everyone to do it, get a row to do it, then get a section to do it. Keep doing it even if others aren't. People may be more likely to join you than to do what you try to persuade them to do.

One idea I really like is to have a row of people wearing T-Shirts that spell out "SKI-U-MAH".

I like the everyone-yells-the-whole-thing idea. Like U-S-A!

I like the everyone-yells-the-whole-thing idea. Like U-S-A!

I hadn't really thought of this, but I think you're right. This might keep it going instead of one weak secion making is sound like...

Ski
-U-Mah, Ski-U-Mah, Ski-U-Mah, Ski-U-___

Quick! Someone forward this thread to Teague!

I agree, if one section is weak, the cheer just won't go anywhere. The idea of one section yelling "ski", another "U" and another "Mah" is cool, but complicated. Many people will be wondering what's going on, or confused which thing they are supposed to be yelling. Simplify the game plan: everyone yells "Ski-U-Mah" together. That, you can build up from a core of people starting it, and get it to spread.

I hadn't really thought of this, but I think you're right. This might keep it going instead of one weak secion making is sound like...

Ski
-U-Mah, Ski-U-Mah, Ski-U-Mah, Ski-U-___
Like at hockey games where NE is the most pronounced. MIN - NE - SO - TA

Also, it needs to be crisp like U-S-A. I'm bored by the time the cheerleader brings the SKI flag fully around.

I agree with the everyone at once. As a major proponent of the sectional yelling, it really doesn't make sense (especially on the road) for the sectional cheer. I have dreams of the bank being a sectional cheer with the students being the U, just like the hockey Min NE So Ta competition.
I was watching that video of the freshmen learning the traditions and chants and it really struck me how traditions get started. When I was in school back in 1999-2003, Goldy would just get the crowd to clap and then do the push ups, there was one Goldy who would put his arms out and "fly" as he was being lifted up. He kept doing that and then the band caught on and started doing the Superman Song. Now, 10 years later when Goldy is about to do the push ups and the band starts the superman music, the whole student section is putting their arms up being superman and it's a "tradition".
These traditions don't start overnight, but they are developed by people doing the same thing over and over (goldy doing superman). Eventually it catches on and morphs into an awesome tradition. Keep up the good fight with the Ski U Mah. It deserves to be a chant and will eventually become a great one.

In Vegas, I realized another problem and I hope I don't offend anyone here. The U distributed their allotment of tickets according to Gopherpoints totals. Who has the most Gopherpoints? More experienced fans who may or may not have the energy left to get wild and crazy. I noticed sitting in row 40 of 43 that the lower half of our section rarely stood up and and the upper halves of the sections (where I assume most of us gopherholers sat) were loud, rowdy and really trying to get cheers going.
Ok babbling done.
Ski U Mah!!

I must say, I love emphasizing "Sku-U-Ma," but I hate the chant. Why does there have to be a chant? Do they have organized chants for "Hook 'em Horns" or "Boomer Schooner?" I think it should be used the same way as "Go Gophers," which is everywhere, but isn't a chant.

Or, if we really do need to incorporate it into games, say it quickly in certain spots rather than dragging out a lame chant. Yell it on Gopher kickoffs right as the foot hits the ball, for example.

Completely agree that splitting it up makes it tough. There's no way Gopherholer's alone could create a successful, multi-sectional chant going. I fully support chanting all parts until it fully catches on.

Being that everyone is so spread out at TCF, the best chance it has to fully catch on would be for the student section to lead it. It's a lot more difficult to get the casual fan and gray-hairs to chant anything outside of the rouser. Students like to make noise and will quickly adopt doing whatever those around them are doing (See jingling keys, super man before pushups, clapping after first downs, and Tonto dance). May be wishful thinking, but if the student section adopted it, it would likely catch on a lot quicker than random sections getting it going.

If any of you sit with large groups, or can get your section started, absolutely go for it. Would be great to have the chant start to be heard come B1G play.

If someone has contact with the band or the director, you need the percussion to get with it. When the first Go Big Red chant started at Nebraska, the bass drummer started emphasizing it. The snare drummers found the gap and added the rim shots and it took off. The problem with the Band is they cannot connect with a chant like Ski- Uh - Mah.

If someone has contact with the band or the director, you need the percussion to get with it. When the first Go Big Red chant started at Nebraska, the bass drummer started emphasizing it. The snare drummers found the gap and added the rim shots and it took off. The problem with the Band is they cannot connect with a chant like Ski- Uh - Mah.

I don't think band participation is necessary to that extent, there are tons of schools with chants that have no band accompaniment.

The Pride of Minnesota is either a part of the soulution or part of the problem. They seem to be the latter. A great sense of themselves, and no sense of their part in jacking up the crowd.

What about a call - response cheer. A group loudly yells "Ski-U-Mah", and everyone responds in a low tone "Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota." repeat 2 times with the "Minnesota" response getting louder each time. Then end with a very loud "Goooo Gophers!"

In script form it would look like this:

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:
Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota (start lower)

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:
Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota (medium loud)

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:
Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota (loud)

All:
Goooo Gophers! (very loud)
Rah (for those that feel the need)

To get this started the callers can also respond so there won't be any interruption in the cheer.

What about a call - response cheer. A group loudly yells "Ski-U-Mah", and everyone responds in a low tone "Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnesota." repeat 2 times with the "Minnesota" response getting louder each time. Then end with a very loud "Goooo Gophers!"

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:

All:

To get this started the callers can also respond so there won't be any interruption in the cheer.

saying minnesota three times is a mouth full...
maybe a ski u mah then a go golden gophers? the syllables line up better.

The Pride of Minnesota is either a part of the soulution or part of the problem. They seem to be the latter. A great sense of themselves, and no sense of their part in jacking up the crowd.

At times I do get the sense that they are more interested in entertaining themselves than the crowd and I think that attitude starts at the top.

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:

Callers:
Ski-U-Mah (loud)
Responders:

All:

At this point, the simpler the better. If people can't grasp Ski U Mah, they will never do that complicated cheer.

The band already has a cheer for Ski-U-Mah. The tune is a version of "go, fight, win" and was introduced in to the repritoire when TCF opened. It is played after a gopher interception, or big stop, or anything that is a generally a big moment in the game in which the rouser would most likely be too long to play. Originally, the spirit squad tried to choreograph waving their Ski-U-Mah flags while the band played the tune. Recently, they haven't been able to anticipate when the band plays the tune.

This tune is played freaquently at hockey games, and the ENTIRE student section has picked up the Ski-U-Mah chant that goes with it, along with gestures. So it is catching on,, and may very well carry over to TCF.

The band is not apart of the problem. The band has been told numerous times by the football team to keep playing as loud as possible during defensive plays, since it is impossible for anyone to hear calls on the field when the band is pointing their horns directly at the opposing QB's head. The band is arguably the rowdiest section (on a consistent basis) game in, game out.

Does anybody remember when they tried to get The Ski-U-Mah chant going in the last year at the Dome? The players were on the scoreboard trying to get it started and Cheerleaders trying to instruct fans from the field with flags. It was a huge failure and abandoned after about 3 games.

Does anybody remember when they tried to get The Ski-U-Mah chant going in the last year at the Dome? The players were on the scoreboard trying to get it started and Cheerleaders trying to instruct fans from the field with flags. It was a huge failure and abandoned after about 3 games.

That was year 1 at TCF.

No - that was at the Dome. Maybe 2006 even.

They definitely tried the Ski-U-Mah chant by major sections with flags at TCF. 2 years ago. I guarantee if you scour the threads here you'll find evidence. Beyond that I know because I was there.

They definitely tried the Ski-U-Mah chant by major sections with flags at TCF. 2 years ago. I guarantee if you scour the threads here you'll find evidence. Beyond that I know because I was there.

Yes yes yes..I know about TCF - but they mad a real big push for the Ski-U-Mah chant back at the Dome.

A few things on the Ski-U-Mah chant:

1. I do remember the attempt at the Dome - just to back Parski on that one.

2. The big freaking flags are necessary for doing this cheer sectionally - it is the best way to keep the timing down.

3. The big freaking flags must keep some sense of timing between themselves. Decide if we are working with three beats, or four beats (Ski - U - Mah - {rest}, Ski - U - Mah {rest}) just like the common USA chant (feel free to try at home). in my opinion, the four beats sounds better. As long as the big freaking flag guys have this down, it will work wonderfully.

4. This chant has other potential applications aside from the one we're talking about.

4a. After the rouser - M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A, {rest} Minnesota {rest} Minnesota {rest} yeaaaaaaah Gophers! {rest} SKI! - U! - MAH! Just have the big freaking flag guys ready to go to introduce this one (Partly because nobody ends that "yeaaaaah Gophers" part together anyway). This does not have to be sectional, and would be appropriate at hockey and hoops games, even without the big freaking flags. This is the best way to introduce the cheer, because everyone is already standing and cheering and happy. If this can be pulled off, then the sectional cheers at The Bank will be a piece of cake.

4b. Much trickier is the kickoff idea, mentioned a long time ago. Once the Ski U Mah chant is understood and accepted by all, just have the big freaking flag guys in place and ready for each kickoff. Imagine the kickoff scene...... Keys, etc. people going Ooooooooooo00000OO!! - then the Kick - then "SKI - U - MAH!!" Other schools have kickoff chants similar to this, and usually sounds pretty cool if pulled off effectively. This actually probably will most effective as a non-sectional cheer - everyone says the whole thing. And eventually the big freaking flags wont be necessary as the timing for this one is pretty straightforward.

Top Bottom