Site performance in browser on a MAC has gotten terrible

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Have been posting to Gopherhole for years, but something changed recently in regards to how the site runs in a browser.

My laptop is a MAC - can't open the forums in chrome at all and in safari or firefox the forums open but they use a crazy amount of resources on my computer causing the fan to run high and the site to run very slowly.

I know this is knd of vague but are others seeing a large downgrade in the performance of the site in a browser recently? Mobile experience seems about the same as it always has been but I am not a big fan of using the site on my phone or iPad and prefer using the browser on a Mac.

Thanks for flagging. We will send to the IT team. In the interim, please try to clear your browser history and cache.

Have been posting to Gopherhole for years, but something changed recently in regards to how the site runs in a browser.

My laptop is a MAC - can't open the forums in chrome at all and in safari or firefox the forums open but they use a crazy amount of resources on my computer causing the fan to run high and the site to run very slowly.

I know this is knd of vague but are others seeing a large downgrade in the performance of the site in a browser recently? Mobile experience seems about the same as it always has been but I am not a big fan of using the site on my phone or iPad and prefer using the browser on a Mac.

I've been seeing the same on Chrome on a Mac for over a month now. It works fine in Incognito mode, but it only works for few clicks in normal mode and then I get: Web server is returning an unknown error.

Thanks for flagging. We will send to the IT team. In the interim, please try to clear your browser history and cache.
Have tried clearing cache. Have seen the issues across multiple browsers.

Firefox private mode on computer or Firefox Focus app on mobile is the only way to go with GH. Run so much faster and smoother, and the only one that effectively block most ads.

You lose viewing embedded Tweets in the forum, but you can click them to view on X. Small price to pay in my opinion.

Firefox private mode on computer or Firefox Focus app on mobile is the only way to go with GH. Run so much faster and smoother, and the only one that effectively block most ads.

You lose viewing embedded Tweets in the forum, but you can click them to view on X. Small price to pay in my opinion.
Great call on Firefox private mode. Just like the old days and maybe even a little better in terms of being able to use the site again.

Hey @MNVCGUY webhost here, what version mac do you have?
Macbook Air running Monterey currently. Same computer and OS that I have had for a while and used to work fine on the site up until the past month or so.

95% of my Gopherhole visits are on my iPhone. I really liked the new Gopherhole technology when it was introduced a couple years ago. But it has now degraded to the point where I have to think and decide if I want to go through the trouble of posting.

I just attempted to post a response on the football board in the Darius Taylor thread and after fighting through the page reloading and jumping around on its own a few times, things finally settled down long enough for me to type my comments. Before I could hit “post reply” it then jumped to the top of the page one final time and my comments were gone. I didn’t try posting again, and instead found this thread which seems to be related.

95% of my Gopherhole visits are on my iPhone. I really liked the new Gopherhole technology when it was introduced a couple years ago. But it has now degraded to the point where I have to think and decide if I want to go through the trouble of posting.

I just attempted to post a response on the football board in the Darius Taylor thread and after fighting through the page reloading and jumping around on its own a few times, things finally settled down long enough for me to type my comments. Before I could hit “post reply” it then jumped to the top of the page one final time and my comments were gone. I didn’t try posting again, and instead found this thread which seems to be related.
This is exactly what happens to me. On iPhone/Safari, the performance is laughably bad to the point where I largely stop posting because it’s just not worth the headache. In chrome on my PC, it’s not quite as bad, but still super slow, laggy, and glitchy. It seems since they got all these ads, the performance of this site has just gotten worse and worse. Too bad; I like this site a lot, but it’s been an absolute pain to use for months.

On your phone, get Firefox Focus.

Not a trick, not selling something. It’s completely open source and free.

Nothing else comes even close to the speed and performance on GH as that.

Moving my problem over to this appropriate thread. Below is my original message from a few minutes ago on the Football board

Here is a screen shot of my error message I get on my ChromeBook

Screenshot 2024-01-16 7.45.08 AM.png

I just started getting Cloudfare error messages (within the past few days) when I try to access GopherHole on my Chromebook. I've NEVER had this issue before. If I open a new "Incognito" page in Chrome, it allows me to access GopherHole.

Anyone have a solution on how to solve my problem without having to go Incognito to access GopherHole?

Giving this thread a bump. There was a thread on the FB board about this, and Admin made some changes and said it would get better. After that, it worded well for maybe a week, and now it’s gone back to as bad as it was before. Boo.

Giving this thread a bump. There was a thread on the FB board about this, and Admin made some changes and said it would get better. After that, it worded well for maybe a week, and now it’s gone back to as bad as it was before. Boo.

Can you please be specific on the issues? The ads that were causing issues were taken out as far as we can tell, we want to get this fixed but we aren’t experiencing issues so please let us know. Thanks.

Top Bottom