Since Brewster is long gone, I have a question.........................

froggopher

Reaction score
Anybody know the real, honest to God reasons why so many of Timmy's coaching staff quit so early and rapidly? Man, there was so many of his staff that vamoosed into the sunset!:mad: Any answers? Thanks in advance. Go Gophers!!:clap:

it happens at a lot of schools. fsu replaced 7 coaches this year. brew had turnover, jerry has none. so far neither has gotten to .500 in big ten, though i think kill will this year.........................................................

it happens at a lot of schools. fsu replaced 7 coaches this year. brew had turnover, jerry has none. so far neither has gotten to .500 in big ten, though i think kill will this year.........................................................

1st off it all begins with coaches having OPTIONS. Maybe I'm biased against hill billies but I can't imagine any of them going anywhere soon (these guys don't pass the eyeball or conversation test). If Jerry is able to duplicate his past successes in producing winners I would say this would be the tipping point for anyone associated with him. Jerry would be the toast of college football and his staff would be given the once over by any AD looking for some of that magic.

I think some of Brews staff left because they got better options. Some left because he asked them too. Some left because they realized they were on a sinking ship....basicly I think you summed it up nicely. Turnover is the norm not the exception.

1st off it all begins with coaches having OPTIONS. Maybe I'm biased against hill billies but I can't imagine any of them going anywhere soon (these guys don't pass the eyeball or conversation test).

"hill billies"?! Limegrover went to the University of Chicago and Northwestern. That hardly screams hillbilly to me. Our strength and conditioning coach went to Carleton. That probably makes them some of the best educated coaches in college.

"hill billies"?! Limegrover went to the University of Chicago and Northwestern. That hardly screams hillbilly to me. Our strength and conditioning coach went to Carleton. That probably makes them some of the best educated coaches in college.

Maybe he meant the billies that went to ND and Texas, because those schools are a little farther south:rolleyes:

what he means is they are too white of a staff but for some reason he decided to be passive aggressive about it

what he means is they are too white of a staff but for some reason he decided to be passive aggressive about it

Close...to me they come across as being the whitest white dudes (from an individual stand point, not staff..I could care less about that) I have met in a long time. Didn't mean to be passive agressive I thought it was obvious what I was saying.

Oh my the way...I have no problem speaking my mind and I have no problem listening and then changing my mind. That's how people learn from one another.

Reeves, Sawvel and Zebrowski all have master's degrees. Bill Miller has a degree in psychology.

Reeves, Sawvel and Zebrowski all have master's degrees. Bill Miller has a degree in psychology.

So what, I have an MBA, it doesn't stop me from coming across has an ass on occasion.

I don't know about all the assistants, but Ted Roof for instance has never stuck in one spot for long. 7 DC stints since 1999 with a 4 hc stint mixed in.

This is Minnesota. We're not passive/aggressive, are we? :rolleyes:

What never gets mentioned in all the talk about Brewster (except by me) is that he was hired in the middle of January and he had approximately three weeks to hire a coaching staff and put together his first recruiting class. For all practical purposes Brewster's first year coaching the Gophers was Mason's last year coaching the Gophers with his pathetic recruiting classes in 2004, 2005, and 2006 and a redshirt freshman QB who couldn't hit a receiver in the hands more than 10 yards down the field. Eric Decker had an All America-type year in 2007 by catching pass after pass thrown at his feet, over his head, and behind his back.

Brewster's first real year was 2008 when he put together a Top 25 recruiting class and started to figure out that Dunbar couldn't coach the spread offense without a mobile and accurate QB and experienced receivers with good hands, and Withers couldn't coach defense without very aggressive, extremely quick, and exceedingly smart players.

What never gets mentioned in all the talk about Brewster (except by me) is that he was hired in the middle of January and he had approximately three weeks to hire a coaching staff and put together his first recruiting class. For all practical purposes Brewster's first year coaching the Gophers was Mason's last year coaching the Gophers with his pathetic recruiting classes in 2004, 2005, and 2006 and Eric Decker had an All America-type year in 2007 by catching pass after pass a redshirt freshman QB who couldn't hit a receiver in the hands more than 10 yards down the field. thrown at his feet, over his head, and behind his back.

Brewster's first real year was 2008 when he put together a Top 25 recruiting class and started to figure out that Dunbar couldn't coach the spread offense without a mobile and accurate QB and experienced receivers with good hands, and Withers couldn't coach defense without very aggressive, extremely quick, and exceedingly smart players.

Are we talking about the redshirt freshman quarterback who threw for 2895 yards (almost 2000 of which were thrown to people besides Decker) and a 57.5% completion percentage his first year?

What never gets mentioned in all the talk about Brewster (except by me) is that he was hired in the middle of January and he had approximately three weeks to hire a coaching staff and put together his first recruiting class. For all practical purposes Brewster's first year coaching the Gophers was Mason's last year coaching the Gophers with his pathetic recruiting classes in 2004, 2005, and 2006 and a redshirt freshman QB who couldn't hit a receiver in the hands more than 10 yards down the field. Eric Decker had an All America-type year in 2007 by catching pass after pass thrown at his feet, over his head, and behind his back.

That 2008 recruiting class was vastly over rated at top 25 status. A better measure is Rivals Enrolled Rankings where we dropped all the way to #35 from #17. Still better than most of Mason's classes, but if you can't coach it doesn't matter how much talent you have (within reason), and Brewster couldn't coach at the Big Ten level.

Almost all of them moved on to better positions.

That's the nature of the game for almost all assistant coaches. It makes our current staff quite unique (even though it's probably talked about too much).

1st off it all begins with coaches having OPTIONS. Maybe I'm biased against hill billies but I can't imagine any of them going anywhere soon (these guys don't pass the eyeball or conversation test). If Jerry is able to duplicate his past successes in producing winners I would say this would be the tipping point for anyone associated with him. Jerry would be the toast of college football and his staff would be given the once over by any AD looking for some of that magic.

I think some of Brews staff left because they got better options. Some left because he asked them too. Some left because they realized they were on a sinking ship....basicly I think you summed it up nicely. Turnover is the norm not the exception.

This is a weird post for the reasons that a ton of other people have pointed out, but i'll dig further.

Lets just assume that our current staff is a bunch of hill billies, are you insinuating that hill billies don't make up large portion of the college coaching fraternity?

When I am saying "hill billies" I mean it in the same way as you. . .sort of country bumpkin white of the whites.

Is there a high profile profession that is MORE dominated by boring white men with southern drawls?

Brewster did have a core staff that was there from day 1 until the end. His recruiting coordinator and strength coach didn't change he also had Butler LB's, Lewis TE's, Cross DL, Lee DB's and Hammock RB's from the beginning.

His biggest mistake was going with Dunbar and trying to turn a team setup to run into a spread passing team, why he thought that would work is one of the great mysteries of his time here although it probably had a lot to do with trying to recruit skill guys to a school that traditionally has a really hard time recruiting those guys. After Dunbar was forced out Brew had a shot to hire Horton but instead went for a highly touted young guy in Fisch. It was a disaster but look at Fisch's career since leaving, clearly he is well regarded in coaching circles.

Whithers was a very good coach but wasn't ready to be a college coach, his year at MN was rough and he left to take a job closer to where he is from and for more money Now he is the DC at Ohio State. Roof looked like a good hire and the D did well under him but as we have all seen with Roof lately he just doesn't stay put. Roof was offered twice as much money to leave so he left.

Brew's problem was having never been a head coach he didn't have a crop of assistants that had worked under him before. That being said his core group of position coaches were with him to the bitter end he just had lots of turnover at the coordinator spots.

This is a weird post for the reasons that a ton of other people have pointed out, but i'll dig further.

Lets just assume that our current staff is a bunch of hill billies, are you insinuating that hill billies don't make up large portion of the college coaching fraternity?

When I am saying "hill billies" I mean it in the same way as you. . .sort of country bumpkin white of the whites.

Is there a high profile profession that is MORE dominated by boring white men with southern drawls?

A ton of other people.....? Really?

You cats are too much. I said what I meant to say...stop trying to read something else into it.

I'm tempted to smoke a fat joint, drink some Hennesy while listening to Jimmy Hindrix to see if I can figure out how the hell you arrived here:

"Lets just assume that our current staff is a bunch of hill billies, are you insinuating that hill billies don't make up large portion of the college coaching fraternity?"

I will just assume you had a senior moment.:cool02:

What is more interesting to me is how many of Brewster's assistants have went on to really significant positions: Fisch, Whithers, Roof, Butler, Derek Lewis, Hammock, George McDonald, Tim Davis...

That's just off the top of my head, but that's a lot of guys coaching at places like Florida, Ohio State, Arkansas, Penn State, etc.

What is more interesting to me is how many of Brewster's assistants have went on to really significant positions: Fisch, Whithers, Roof, Butler, Derek Lewis, Hammock, George McDonald, Tim Davis...

That's just off the top of my head, but that's a lot of guys coaching at places like Florida, Ohio State, Arkansas, Penn State, etc.

Continuity is everything in a staff, it's one of the major reasons why I think Kill can be successful here. Brew had some really good coaches on staff...maybe that was the problem. Other coaches wanted them and the gopher program is not the most successful of programs.

Bob_Loblaw said:

NASCAR

Are we talking about the redshirt freshman quarterback who threw for 2895 yards (almost 2000 of which were thrown to people besides Decker) and a 57.5% completion percentage his first year?

Uh oh. Don't use statistics. People hate when you use statistics to prove a point. :)

WOW. Weber must have had a helluva season. How many games did the Gophers win in 2007 anyway? Here are more stats from 2007 for you to chew on.

Big 10 Quarterback Ratings - 2007:

------------------------------COMP-ATT--PCT--YDS-YDS/A-LONG-TD--INT--SACK--RATING

1 Todd Boeckman, QB----OSU--191--299--63.9--2379---8.0---68---25---14---18----148.9
2 Kellen Lewis, QB--------IND---265--442--60.0--3043--6.9---79---28---10---30----134.2
3 Tyler Donovan, QB------WIS--193--333--58.0--2607--7.8---64---17---11---32----134.0
4 Curtis Painter, QB-------PUR--356--569--62.6--3848--6.8---80---29---11----25----132.3
5 Brian Hoyer, QB--------MSU--223--376--59.3--2725--7.2----80--20----11---29----131.9
6 Chad Henne, QB-------MICH--162--278--58.3--1938--7.0---65---17----09---16----130.5
7 C.J. Bacher, QB--------NW---318--521-- 61.0--3656--7.0---78---19----19---32----124.7
8 Anthony Morelli, QB-----PSU--234--402--58.2--2651--6.6---52---19----10---20----124.2
9 Adam Weber, QB------MINN--258-- 449-- 57.5--2895--6.4---71---24----19---13---120.8
10 Jake Christensen, QB---EIU--198--370-- 53.5--2269--6.1---53---17----06---46---116.9

Brewster did have a core staff that was there from day 1 until the end. His recruiting coordinator and strength coach didn't change he also had Butler LB's, Lewis TE's, Cross DL, Lee DB's and Hammock RB's from the beginning.

His biggest mistake was going with Dunbar and trying to turn a team setup to run into a spread passing team, why he thought that would work is one of the great mysteries of his time here although it probably had a lot to do with trying to recruit skill guys to a school that traditionally has a really hard time recruiting those guys. After Dunbar was forced out Brew had a shot to hire Horton but instead went for a highly touted young guy in Fisch. It was a disaster but look at Fisch's career since leaving, clearly he is well regarded in coaching circles.

Whithers was a very good coach but wasn't ready to be a college coach, his year at MN was rough and he left to take a job closer to where he is from and for more money Now he is the DC at Ohio State. Roof looked like a good hire and the D did well under him but as we have all seen with Roof lately he just doesn't stay put. Roof was offered twice as much money to leave so he left.

Brew's problem was having never been a head coach he didn't have a crop of assistants that had worked under him before. That being said his core group of position coaches were with him to the bitter end he just had lots of turnover at the coordinator spots.

From my perspective, this sums it up nicely. I don't break out in hives like some people here do when the subject of Brewster is brought up and I think the thing to remember is that he was a first-time head coach and regardless of how many good programs he had been a part of or how much football he had coached, life is different when you're sitting in the big chair. I don't think he knew exactly how to lead and organize the program and maybe some guys he hired smelled that and always had their resumes handy. Assistant coaching is one of the toughest businesses in the world and my guess is those in that trade want a combination of stability and the opportunity to move up the coaching ladder. In some instances, maybe they thought wasn't going to happen under Brewster. I was especially disappointed to lose Withers, who has proven to be everything Brewster said he was going to be when he hired him. Roof has moved around so much, it's hard to know what is happening there. Dunbar's post-Gopher career pretty much says it all to me (as in, past his prime).

Top Bottom