Simple NIL

some are. they just are very few and far between.
Yep. There are maybe 20 or college athletes that have real worth as endorsers and influencers.
One is from Minnesota, but she doesn't compete here - that's Suni Lee. And her fame comes from winning an Olympic medal more so than being a gymnast for Auburn.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to the University directly paying influencers; athletes in this case. You know, like Bud Light paying Dylan Mulvaney.

This is how it should work, because sports are a major form of marketing for schools, but I believe it's against NCAA rules. Plus, schools right now enjoy pocketing all that media money while leaving player compensation up to donors.
Correct, schools and their employees are prohibited from directly donating to athletes or NIL collectives directly. The basic principle here is that NIL is the athlete's property, not the school's, so it is the athlete who would be marketing themselves.

Yep. There are maybe 20 or college athletes that have real worth as endorsers and influencers.
One is from Minnesota, but she doesn't compete here - that's Suni Lee. And her fame comes from winning an Olympic medal more so than being a gymnast for Auburn.
Bueckers as well has over 1 million followers. The reach of some of these players is impressive

NIL is nice-wording to make it sound like the players are earning the money that boosters give them. Businesses don't actually want to hire them for real advertising.
Pretty sure I mentioned that Livvy Dunne is worth about 4 million dollars due to NIL. Caitlyn Clark makes more in NIL than she'd make playing pro ball. Shedeur Sanders and his brother are both doing commercials, as is Caleb Williams.

Pretty sure I mentioned that Livvy Dunne is worth about 4 million dollars due to NIL. Caitlyn Clark makes more in NIL than she'd make playing pro ball. Shedeur Sanders and his brother are both doing commercials, as is Caleb Williams.
Ok to spell it out....

Ok, yes, the #1 player in football & women's basketball are worth some real advertising dollars. As are a few women Instagram & OnlyFans models. And yeah, once in a while there's a celebrity-type like the son of Deon Sanders.

But 99%...or 98%...almost all of the FB & BB players & recruits who are being paid are NOT worth real advertising dollars. Or they're worth $5k-10k but they're being paid $100k-500k by boosters.

Ok to spell it out....

Ok, yes, the #1 player in football & women's basketball are worth some real advertising dollars. As are a few women Instagram & OnlyFans models. And yeah, once in a while there's a celebrity-type like the son of Deon Sanders.

But 99%...or 98%...almost all of the FB & BB players & recruits who are being paid are NOT worth real advertising dollars. Or they're worth $5k-10k but they're being paid $100k-500k by boosters.
I disagree. I think college athletes are worth something for advertising. It’s just that up until NIL it couldn’t be done so there is little precedent.

I agree mostly with Pilgrim.

65 P5 teams x 85 scholarship players per team is 5,525 players.

Clearly, a good chunk of them no one has ever heard of them before.

that's literally exactly what is happening already. It's been written about numerous times in every financial magazine, online source, etc. You still need a company who wants to use them for spot instagram ads and tweets (x's?). And they're going to preferentially use the ones who already have millions of followers.
Where’s Jelly when you need him?

A man ahead of his time.

Ok to spell it out....

What value is it when you could put the "#1" athletic "influencer" in a commercial and 90% of people would have no idea who the person is?

Top Bottom