Simple NIL

Spray Island

Reaction score
Pay players in the same way an “influencer” is paid. It’s essentially the same job, representing a brand. If Minnesota wants to stay relevant it’s now possible for them to pay for it.

I’m not sure what this means. Who is paying the players? There isn’t infinite money. They can’t just send money to people all willy nilly. The collectives can find ways to pay the players. Its having the money to do so.

Pay players in the same way an “influencer” is paid. It’s essentially the same job, representing a brand. If Minnesota wants to stay relevant it’s now possible for them to pay for it.
With a few exceptions, most of the highest earning women athletes are basically just that. Most notably Livvy Dunne at LSU.

Having the money to do so is the point. If people, companies, businesses benefit from having a strong, talented football team they can and hopefully would donate/pay for it. We get what we pay for.

I don't know what kind of product "Spray Island" is.....and I'm not sure if the university wants to be affiliated with it.....but sure.....you should start paying players like influencers.

With a few exceptions, most of the highest earning women athletes are basically just that. Most notably Livvy Dunne at LSU.
Some people donate to LSU Gymnastics as a collective as well. Some of the athletes themselves give back to teammates.

Some people donate to LSU Gymnastics as a collective as well. Some of the athletes themselves give back to teammates.
Livvy is monetizing her social media big time. She has legit modeling and commercial contracts too. She's worth around $4 million at this point.

And yes, she does give back to other women athletes at LSU, which is pretty cool.

I don't know what kind of product "Spray Island" is.....and I'm not sure if the university wants to be affiliated with it.....but sure.....you should start paying players like influencers.
Spray Island is an island as Lake Minnetonka is a lake.

This is not breaking news or a new idea, it is NIL at its most basic level. Not sure what your point is here?

Last edited:

Yeah. And that's not at all the issue.

The issue is NIL collectives and more so basically just taking the idea of bag men and making it legal. Basically get a bag for not doing any work (or next to no work .... make one appearance at a car dealership, smile for some pictures, give a couple soundbytes, call it a day), and calling that a "NIL deal".

Yeah. And that's not at all the issue.

The issue is NIL collectives and more so basically just taking the idea of bag men and making it legal. Basically get a bag for not doing any work (or next to no work .... make one appearance at a car dealership, smile for some pictures, give a couple soundbytes, call it a day), and calling that a "NIL deal".
There is a place for collectives. My point is the new poster is merely stating the obvious.

Sure.

I disagree that collectives are as valid as bona fide NIL deals between one business and one player, but anyway.

Well thought out logical argument! Thanks for the discussion

that's literally exactly what is happening already. It's been written about numerous times in every financial magazine, online source, etc. You still need a company who wants to use them for spot instagram ads and tweets (x's?). And they're going to preferentially use the ones who already have millions of followers.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to the University directly paying influencers; athletes in this case. You know, like Bud Light paying Dylan Mulvaney.

This is how it should work, because sports are a major form of marketing for schools, but I believe it's against NCAA rules. Plus, schools right now enjoy pocketing all that media money while leaving player compensation up to donors.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to the University directly paying influencers; athletes in this case. You know, like Bud Light paying Dylan Mulvaney.

This is how it should work, because sports are a major form of marketing for schools, but I believe it's against NCAA rules. Plus, schools right now enjoy pocketing all that media money while leaving player compensation up to donors.
Universities paying players to be influencers! Sounds totally legit.

Pulltabs and scratch-offs.
But I imagine for some reason that is not allowed...because gambling. But, alcoholic beverages?...door's open boys!

yes it is. given that would be treating them like contracted employees, which all the schools don't want to have happen as you allude to given they like the free money.

I never understood how NIL got to where it is. I think we could compete if we got past the concept of free $ for playing sports.

I think our companies and our citizens could get behind the concept of paying these kids good $ if their name image and likeness was actually used for something.

Our midwestern sensibilities just don’t compute when it comes to free money for playing, but if mauer chevrolet put Mo in a commercial last year it would get attention and he’d get paid. I’d love to see gophers name, image, and likeness used to promote our great MN businesses.

“Toro snowblowers pack as much punch as the gopher offensive line”. Dairy Queen pays everyone $5,000 to eat a dilly bar while hoisting the axe durring the victory lap. General Mills hires the team to run a kids football clinic to promote their latest project…the possibilities are literally endless and it’s a win for all parties involved, including the U.

You’d think every business in Duluth would be falling over themselves to have Koi Persch in a commercial or on a billboard promoting their business.

I think a reframing of the concept is needed if it is going to succeed in Minnesota.

I never understood how NIL got to where it is. I think we could compete if we got past the concept of free $ for playing sports.

I think our companies and our citizens could get behind the concept of paying these kids good $ if their name image and likeness was actually used for something.

Our midwestern sensibilities just don’t compute when it comes to free money for playing, but if mauer chevrolet put Mo in a commercial last year it would get attention and he’d get paid. I’d love to see gophers name, image, and likeness used to promote our great MN businesses.

“Toro snowblowers pack as much punch as the gopher offensive line”. Dairy Queen pays everyone $5,000 to eat a dilly bar while hoisting the axe durring the victory lap. General Mills hires the team to run a kids football clinic to promote their latest project…the possibilities are literally endless and it’s a win for all parties involved, including the U.

You’d think every business in Duluth would be falling over themselves to have Koi Persch in a commercial or on a billboard promoting their business.

I think a reframing of the concept is needed if it is going to succeed in Minnesota.
College football players aren't worth anything in advertising.

The money to players comes from rich boosters.

This is happening right now.

College football players aren't worth anything in advertising.

The money to players comes from rich boosters.
This isn't true for a large number of them for the same reason Logan Paul makes a lot of money. It's about generating clicks.

There are also a ton of UT players on TV in Austin that are extremely famous here. It's like any other celebrity on a commercial.

Local businesses clearly don’t feel that way about Gopher players, or they’d already be doing TV promos with those players on local TV.

Again it’s a completely different culture of Mpls vs Austin, Columbus, and other places.

If a local business here is going to do a local TV spot with a football player and actually pay for that … it’s going to be a Viking. Not a Gopher.

Pay $25k to a football player for a couple hours of work in their uniform … you’re going to ask for Harrison Smith. Not Tyler Nubin.

Top Bottom