Signing someone "the wrong way"??

g1976b

Reaction score
Apparently at his press conference, Coach Kill said that he had a chance to sign someone, but it would've been "the wrong way". Kudos to Coach Kill for integrity, but does anyone know what he was specifically referring to? Do we know WHO he was referring to?

(Needless to say this is something that would never be said by a certain coach who wears red and likes to go for 2.)

I don't know exasctly what he was referring to, but he could have been talking about over-promising.

I think Brew might have led players to believe they'd be starters as freshmen, regardless of the depth above them. I also think Brew seemed to do more bait-and-switch than most coaches I can ever recall; I'm talking about recruiting a kid at position x but really planning on having them at position y without telling them the plan.

I don't know exasctly what he was referring to, but he could have been talking about over-promising.

I think Brew might have led players to believe they'd be starters as freshmen, regardless of the depth above them. I also think Brew seemed to do more bait-and-switch than most coaches I can ever recall; I'm talking about recruiting a kid at position x but really planning on having them at position y without telling them the plan.

You don't know that at all.

(Needless to say this is something that would never be said by a certain coach who wears red and likes to go for 2.)[/QUOTE said:
Needless to say, you clearly have not been paying attention.

I think the sun is blue. I think Janet Jackson has a crush on me. I think I'm good enough at basketball to be a starting 5'11, 45 year old power forward in the NBA.

I would guess that Kill means he could have trashed an opposing coach personally (as he was undercut by an opposing coach when he was stricken with cancer) or program and lured a recruit that way. Just a shot in the dark on my part.

My guess is he is talking about the kid that ended up at Virginia Tech ... he likely could have made a fuss and tried to force him to stick to his verbal.

I don't really think it has much to do with making kids stick to their verbals or oversigning. When you look at our class, oversigning wouldn't have been an issue and kids aren't at all obligated to stick with their verbals (switch all the time).

It might have had something to do with Osunde. I am not sure, but possibly the U could have forced him to honor his commit, made him essentially RS this season (or transfer) in order to get his legal stuff in order. I'm guessing, possibly, the U could have played hardball in that department.

Yeah, whatever. Now its time to win. That is what will truely matter.

Don't know for sure what it could have been either, maybe trying to force estime to stay committed or over promising or any number of things.

I think the main point is not the negative, but that Coach kill recruits with integrity. In the long run, that will serve him better as he recruits players and their parents.

Negative recruiting

Some coaches "negative recruit", and I've heard that the red weasel leader does or has done this. That is to say, rather than recruiting with the positives of your own institution, team, program, coaches, etc, - a "negative recruiter" has negative things to say about the other school.

My guess is he is talking about the kid that ended up at Virginia Tech ... he likely could have made a fuss and tried to force him to stick to his verbal.

I was thinking along the same lines, but my guess is the only way we could Estime was to sign Maddy as well. That's just the feeling I get based on all the rhetoric from their high school line coach and Kill's admission that we had too many scholarship DTs on the team.

Coach Kill had chance to "turn" a kid but didn't. The kids HS coaches felt it would have been wrong and Kill agreed. He mentioned this at the signing day social.

Coach Kill had chance to "turn" a kid but didn't. The kids HS coaches felt it would have been wrong and Kill agreed. He mentioned this at the signing day social.

I recall this same quote from last night also.

I think another part that plays into it is how he mentioned several times how some kids were "absolutely committed to coming to the U." My impression is that Coach Kill really values how much a kid wants to come, rather than come only if he is promised certain things.

Some coaches "negative recruit", and I've heard that the red weasel leader does or has done this. That is to say, rather than recruiting with the positives of your own institution, team, program, coaches, etc, - a "negative recruiter" has negative things to say about the other school.

Who have you heard that from? How many players directly?

Please tell, how do you force him to stick to his verbal? Why would you want to?

I would say every coach does this to a degree. I don't find anything troubling about it.

I would say every coach does this to a degree. I don't find anything troubling about it.

When I was being recruited, albeit not at the Div 1 level, I had a coach specifically tell me he would never say a bad thing about another program because he felt that when you started talking negatively about others it means you've run out of positive things to say about yourself. Needless to say I signed on and played for that coach.

That you are defending the "integrity" of BB says all I need to know about you. Go away troll.

I "ignore listed" GVBadger and his troll friends long ago. Do the same, and please to not quote them in your responses. That way, the rest of us don't have to read their ignorant and purposely inflamatory posts. If you ignore, eventually, they go away.

An ignorant slob will always defend another ignorant slob...

Jack Trice

Hide the scary posts. :(

Jack Trice - The football field at Iowa State is named after him. Trice died after a game at U of MN in 1923 from internal bleeding. Iowa State canceled the contract with Minnesota and would not play the U of MN again for another 65 years.

Hide the scary posts. :(

scary2.jpg

That you are defending the "integrity" of BB says all I need to know about you. Go away troll.

I guess the answer is zero.

Thanks.

Why so angry? It is not healthy.

I guess the answer is zero.

Thanks.

Why so angry? It is not healthy.

Shouldn't you be
runaway.gif
or
suicide.gif
on your on board about missing out on Brissett instead of defending DB's on ours?

Top Bottom