Sid says Royce and Tubby met on Thursday; Royce asks to be back on team

It might be good if Royce has to go to JUCO. He would have to prove (in some sense) that it wouldn't be a risk bringing him back on the team during his time there. If he stays out of trouble for a year (I know, that shouldn't be that hard or prove that much), I think we can afford to give Royce one last chance. Also, simply letting Royce back would probably send the wrong message to him.

No way will this happen (and as always, I'll eat my words if I'm wrong). He's got plenty of D1 schools knocking on his door, and I think he'd be more likely to try for the NBA or play in Europe than every play JUCO.

I think had Tubby let him play when he threatened to leave would have sent the wrong message to him. He let Royce leave, instead of giving into threats. Time has passed - we have no idea what's going on behind closed doors, or what conditions there are. I just know that Tubby is not the kind of coach that will let one player be above the team, I trust his choice on this, whatever it may be.

No way will this happen (and as always, I'll eat my words if I'm wrong). He's got plenty of D1 schools knocking on his door, and I think he'd be more likely to try for the NBA or play in Europe than every play JUCO.

I think had Tubby let him play when he threatened to leave would have sent the wrong message to him. He let Royce leave, instead of giving into threats. Time has passed - we have no idea what's going on behind closed doors, or what conditions there are. I just know that Tubby is not the kind of coach that will let one player be above the team, I trust his choice on this, whatever it may be.

+1

The rollercoaster ride begins again.

I agree. And who among us has not benefited by being given a second or three chance to get it right? To his credit, Royce has consistently only wanted to play for the Gophers. To his discredit, he has let himself, his coach, and his team mates down before. I'm not sure how he regains Tubby's trust after all that has transpired, but I'm convinced that Tubby will lay out a plan for Royce to demonstrate he is trustworthy. After which, if he accomplishes it, Tubby will welcome him back to the Gopher Nation.

Oh god im having bad thoughts about getting both CJ and royce via walk on...good god

I don't really know much about the rules regarding eligibility, but I was referring to the situation in the report talking about the possibility that he would HAVE to attend a junior college next season to be eligible in 2011. In that case, the fact that other schools are knocking on his door is irrelevant. I also don't see him realistically being able to go to the NBA without first playing in college or overseas. If he's not eligible, I suppose he could either go JUCO or just play in Europe, but I don't see how another D1 school or the NBA are options.

I actually sort of agree with Art. I know Royce is a unique talent and he would certainly help this team. However, his antics were so annoying last season, I really couldn't blame Tubby if he told him to get bent.

I guess I would be fine with him on our roster (i'd prefer taking a chance on White to adding Noreen or some third teir PG), but it would honestly be a 1 chance sort of thing. If anything popped off, I would shut the door on the kid and wish him luck elsewhere.

The thought of Royce being back in the picture is making my stomach turn. I am well aware that our 2010-2011 team has lots of questions marks...Al's academics, Trevor's legal issues, Cobbs' potential transfer, 4 (so far) freshman and questions about their respecteive abilities to contribute...but adding Royce adds another layer of uncertainty. His time in the picture last year was a whole lot of drama. And for what? We got nothing out of that except a team that almost played themselves out of the NCAA before regrouping and making a late run (not coincidentally after Royce checked out). In spite of his talent, I have no desire to go down that path again.

We got nothing out of that except a team that almost played themselves out of the NCAA before regrouping and making a late run (not coincidentally after Royce checked out). In spite of his talent, I have no desire to go down that path again.

I'm pretty much in this camp. And by the way, at this point, I'm guessing that NBA folks get a pretty good chuckle when RW's homeys contact them about his chances to turn pro right now.

My question would be, how would he be eligible? He missed a whole semester of credits. He may very well be able to make up for those lost credits over the summer, but combine this semester with the ones he would need to make up for the first semester, thats a lot of classes. In case you are wondering what I ment by that, most college athletes take the minimum amount of credits while they are playing and make up for them in the summer.

I actually sort of agree with Art.

Art is the antichrist of Gopher sports.

For me at least I'm surprised how my thinking has changed since this whole saga started. I'm completely neutral about whether Royce comes back or not. If he does - great. I'll root for him like I would any other player. If he doesn't - well, we made it without him last year and we'll make it again without him next year.

If Royce White truly wants to come back to the team, and is eligible as per NCAA and UofM rules, and we don't let him I truly will have to second guess Minnesota's desire to have a winning team. Royce didn't quit on the team, the school quit on him. He wanted to play, but the school didn't hold up their end of the deal. Why would he go to their classes when they wouldn't let him play basketball? Art is a grumpy old man who likes black and white absolutes to paint people with. It's less complicated that way and easier for him to view a world that is changing faster than his 1950's values can handle.

Holy Homer(Gopher) Batman!

If Royce White truly wants to come back to the team, and is eligible as per NCAA and UofM rules, and we don't let him I truly will have to second guess Minnesota's desire to have a winning team. Royce didn't quit on the team, the school quit on him. He wanted to play, but the school didn't hold up their end of the deal.

I'm as big of a rooter for Royce as there was but you can't be serious. I'l love to see him back on the team not only for basketball, if the year off hasn't hurt him, but to see if he can get his life straightened out. There is NOTHING that wasn't within the control of young Mr. Royce White. He failed the University, the coaches, and his teamates by HIS actions.

If Royce White truly wants to come back to the team, and is eligible as per NCAA and UofM rules, and we don't let him I truly will have to second guess Minnesota's desire to have a winning team. Royce didn't quit on the team, the school quit on him. He wanted to play, but the school didn't hold up their end of the deal. Why would he go to their classes when they wouldn't let him play basketball? Art is a grumpy old man who likes black and white absolutes to paint people with. It's less complicated that way and easier for him to view a world that is changing faster than his 1950's values can handle.

In before flaming of this post saying Royce left the team. That the education is what is important etc.etc. you hit the nail on the head imo. Royce was never here for the education, he justwanted the ferry to the NBA. Thats what alot of kids want. Once he realized he wasnt going to get to play he left because there was no reason to stay. You cant say he abandoned the team because the way the season shaped up he never really joined the team in the first place. Yes he got himself into trouble for for christ sakes. 4 MONTHS for an investigation that should have lasted a two weeks for all they brought against him? thats either ineptitude or maliciousness. you tell me which.

my guess is that Tubby wants him back, but his decision "could" get trumped by Maturi, which would be a totally stupid move on his part. Let Tubby make the decision.

Makes me think back to the good ol' days.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=14468

Don't you guys get it yet? Everytime he makes one of these statements he is trying to get Tubby to blink. It is like a game of chicken. Tubby, "I am not playing you yet". Royce, "I am going to try and force your hand by making another statement about leaving."

At some point you either have to play or him call his threat and let him walk. He is putting Tubby in a tough spot.

Ok .. lets back up a step. He doesn't feel safe .. he's made those comments before. He feels as though the police are out to get him. Say what you will, but as far as these " trespass " charges go, sorry, but I think he's getting f-d hard. He plead not guilty after negotiation and has another appearance next Monday.

I won't believe it until he " officially " withdraws from the U. Which he didn't do before either.

Makes me think back to the good ol' days.

I'm not sure of your point. Ultimately it's up to Royce White to be a responsible student athlete. I suppose that ended when he was thrown out of the summer bridge program before school even started.

I actually sort of agree with Art. I know Royce is a unique talent and he would certainly help this team. However, his antics were so annoying last season, I really couldn't blame Tubby if he told him to get bent.

I guess I would be fine with him on our roster (i'd prefer taking a chance on White to adding Noreen or some third teir PG), but it would honestly be a 1 chance sort of thing. If anything popped off, I would shut the door on the kid and wish him luck elsewhere.

If Tubby allows Royce to come back, I hope it's with the caveat that he can no longer be keeping the world updated with his drama-filled life via YouTube updates. :D

For me to approve, three things must take place.
1. Tubby has to be 100% comfortable with having RW on the team.
2. RW must be eligible for the 2010-11 season. If RW is serious,about being a Gopher, he should be taking classes on his own to be sure he is set for the Fall. If not, adios for good.
3. RW must make a formal apology to the players/Tubby and then to the UM and the fans. A piece of humble pie would go a long ways.

I think the kid deserves one more, zero tolerance chance. He did get mistreated with the way the laptop thing went down and how long it took. I think most people agree with that. He still made a dumb decision to quit instead of waiting it out, but perhaps a lot of us would have done the same at 18.

If Tubby wants him back, let him come back. If he screws up once, he's gone. I only hope Tubby is allowed to make the call without Dithering Joel Maturi interfering

If Royce wants back in Tubby should allow it only if Tubby believes that Royce will tow the program line. Stay out of trouble and follow team rules. Royce has done nothing from a legal standpoint that would keep many programs from signing him. I am not excusing what Royce did. Just saying others have done similar and played.

If Royce was from Miami or California or Iowa I would say forget him. However, this is a Minnesota kid that grew up in a difficult home. Rather than just pretend like we are better than kids like Royce and lecture him about our values, maybe we should reach out and help him achieve some good things.

Finally, I have faith in Tubby. I stand behind whatever his decision is one this. He knows more about the situation than anyone on this board and also know what's in Royce's heart better than anyone here.

1) Royce never acknowled any wrongdoing or remorse for his MOA theft and ruffing up of a security guard.

2) Royce repeatedly played the play me or I quit card. How about go to school for free, attend practice and make yourself and your teammates better and you'll play when the coach says you can play. Nope, he quit.

3) Royce said he dropped out of school because he didn't feel safe on campus. What has changed? Also, he could have 12-18 credits to make up this summer that could be a heavy load for a short semester. And that's only if Tubby wants to take another chance on him.

It seems like if there is a scholership available why not take a chance on White. If no scholership is available then he is out of luck.

1.) Joseph commits and Cobbs transfers then one is available.
2.) Joseph picks another school and Cobbs stays then one is available.
3.) Joseph picks another school and Cobbs transfers then two are available.
4.) Joseph commits and Cobbs stays then none are available, waiting on Mbwake.

If White is willing to wait on those conditions I think the risk is worth it.

I'm beyond frustrated with the whole Royce ordeal because of his talent and the fact that it makes the U look bad. However, if he does come back, it will be easy to forget everything when he's on the court doing what he does best. I don't think there is any doubt he would make this team significantly better. If Tubby takes him back, I'm going to be extremely (and cautiously) excited!!!

It seems like if there is a scholership available why not take a chance on White. If no scholership is available then he is out of luck.

1.) Joseph commits and Cobbs transfers then one is available.
2.) Joseph picks another school and Cobbs stays then one is available.
3.) Joseph picks another school and Cobbs transfers then two are available.
4.) Joseph commits and Cobbs stays then none are available, waiting on Mbwake.

If White is willing to wait on those conditions I think the risk is worth it.

Possibly, but he can't wait too long... he needs to enroll for summer classes now before they fill up.

I'd let him back. Its about winning. He could probably help the Gophs win, hes got to be better than some of the stiffs on the roster.

I want him on the team. And I don't think he got a fair shake at all.

Let's not forget - White was ready to come back after the MOA and all indications were that he was going to play soon. White himself even said he thought he would be playing after the two exhibition games....

THEN

Some laptop in a dorm gets stolen, and the egotistical, media-greedy UMPD drag out a 3 month investigation for no reason other than someone that the average mpls layperson would know was walking through the place at the time. That's why he didn't play all year.

I understand why Trevor sat out all year - felony charges and trials take a very long time to move through the legal system. Laptop thefts - ESPECIALLY WHEN THE LAPTOP IS RETURNED - don't take any time at all to move through the system. It is absolute pure BS, even more so when you read the ridiculous excuses the UMPD gave publicly as to why the case wasn't moving quicker, such as "people were on vacation, and witnesses wouldn't call us back." Pathetic.

You can argue that he should have been kicked off of the team for the MOA incident - or shouldn't have been recruited at all because of his past at De LaSalle. I get that. He's not the greatest person in the world based on his track record.

But he wasn't. He was recruited even after De La Salle. He was going to play after the MOA fiasco. The fact that both Tubby and the University overlooked his past and the MOA incident, and the sole reason he wasn't playing was because of the bogus laptop investigation proves the point that he didn't get a fair shake, mostly from the UMPD. I would be pissed about that if I were in his shoes too - and I can even understand why he quit with that frustration brewing.

The Circus is Back in Town

Oh boy, the circus is back in town!

I trust Tubby to do the right thing. If Tubby lets him stay I will support the decision and root for Mr. White as a player and a person.

If Tubby decides not to have Mr. White stay I will support the decision and root for Mr. White to have a good life.

If it were up to me I would show Mr. White the door and wish him well.

What I really want to know is when the heck is Cory going to speak up?

Top Bottom