Sid: Pitino on Oturu; NBADraft.net has Oturu listed as the #24 pick in 2020

Because that's what usually happens. The NBA likes them young. They just want the legit prospects to stay in school long enough to get a fair appraisal of them.

There are exceptions of course. Buddy Hield is the most notable recent one. He was drafted #6 as a senior but he was a prolific scorer and he led his team to the final four in his senior year. Oturu is unlikely to get that kind of national exposure around here next year.

NBA teams tend to draft younger players not because they're obsessed with age, but because big time, NBA talent is almost always good enough to leave right away. If you stay in college multiple years, it's usually because you aren't good enough to be a lottery pick. There is a strong correlation between age and when players are drafted, but correlation is not causation. If you're the best player in the draft, you will be taken #1 whether you are 19 or 23. If the NBA was as obsessed with age as some people think, teams wouldn't sign older free agents.

Kudos to Dan for turning down more successful programs for playing for his home team...If he goes NBA great for him and his family...WIll take a big bite out of next years team and apply even greater pressure on Pitino to have a truly confidence inspiring recruiting class lined up for 2021

NBA teams tend to draft younger players not because they're obsessed with age, but because big time, NBA talent is almost always good enough to leave right away. If you stay in college multiple years, it's usually because you aren't good enough to be a lottery pick. There is a strong correlation between age and when players are drafted, but correlation is not causation. If you're the best player in the draft, you will be taken #1 whether you are 19 or 23. If the NBA was as obsessed with age as some people think, teams wouldn't sign older free agents.
They do care about age. Brogdon should have been a lottery pick but he was old as a 5th year senior but he wanted it all. A MBA and a NBA and became rookie of the year and now has a monster contract and a incredible non-profit that brings clean water to parts of Africa through wells. That is a outlier but Daniel can follow that by staying one more year for the undergrad. So many factors. Insurance is a factor. UVA provides a huge insurance benefit as part of being a student athlete and not all schools have equal policies. Depends on his dreams and priorities. I hope that he makes the best choice for him.

If hes a guranteed first rounder he'd be pretty crazy to stay.

I still feel like Oturu needs to prove he can consistently knock down mid range J's before he can have any consistent PT in the league. But if teams are telling him they want him, he's gotta go.

Not many programs could claim back to back undergrad pros. Kudos to Daniel for staying home, proof that these kids aren't passing up the league if they come here.

You can get to the NBA by playing with the Gophers? Amazing, maybe more Minnesota kids should think about this option
It's funny because I recall Built saying the other day that recruits shouldn't come here because we "don't win" and "don't produce NBA talent". In the end it's up to the recruits to get themselves to the NBA. The program can only do so much.

It's funny because I recall Built saying the other day that recruits shouldn't come here because we "don't win" and "don't produce NBA talent". In the end it's up to the recruits to get themselves to the NBA. The program can only do so much.
Built revealed himself there. That was a poor post by him.

Yeah, I know correlation isn't causation. I have 15 graduate credits in statistics and research methods.

Your post isn't a relevant response to my prior post. My point was that, if you're on the radar as a 1st round pick, staying in college after that happens usually doesn't pay off. I'm not sure whose argument you thought you were refuting.

Call me out for saying it but then throw in "me too". You're an absolute clown.

The point was that I don't call out posters who had a different opinion than me when subsequent events support my view. That's pathetic and sophomoric. But, if you don't mind appearing that way, by all means carry on.

The point was that I don't call out posters who had a different opinion than me when subsequent events support my view. That's pathetic and sophomoric. But, if you don't mind appearing that way, by all means carry on.
Then maybe just say that instead of making sure it's known that you were also correct. You're not just pathetic and sophomoric, but a hypocritical jackass as well.

Really strong game against Ok St by Daniel. I would love for him to go pro, be a first round NBA pick and have a long and successful career. No reason to risk injury by coming back next year. Thanks for representing Minnesota. Good job by Daniel and coaches developing his game.

Built revealed himself there. That was a poor post by
You best recall the context and the exact quote. What do recruits think about where to go, who to play for. There are programs that have better coaches, develop better, win more and send recruits ranked like ours to the NBA. Those are facts. I have actually encouraged players to come here that did come here. It is pretty obviously that most highly rated players think they will be better off somewhere else. We do not suddenly jump into the realm of best choices still without a NBA pick, still without a conference title.

If Oturu goes pro that is awesome for him. I wish him the best.

He is extremely close to his family. He wants a college education. If he is a first round pick he can take out an insurance policy to protect against potential financial losses due to injury, if he really wants to stay in college.

I could see it going either way. Really depends on his draft feedback. I’d guess that he gets a late first round grade and has a tough decision. He is a better prospect than Coffey no doubt.

Yeah, I know correlation isn't causation. I have 15 graduate credits in statistics and research methods.

Your post isn't a relevant response to my prior post. My point was that, if you're on the radar as a 1st round pick, staying in college after that happens usually doesn't pay off. I'm not sure whose argument you thought you were refuting.

You literally said "The NBA likes them young", and I was pointing out that the NBA is more concerned with talent than age and people get misled by the correlation between age and draft position. I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from.

They do care about age. Brogdon should have been a lottery pick but he was old as a 5th year senior but he wanted it all. A MBA and a NBA and became rookie of the year and now has a monster contract and a incredible non-profit that brings clean water to parts of Africa through wells. That is a outlier but Daniel can follow that by staying one more year for the undergrad. So many factors. Insurance is a factor. UVA provides a huge insurance benefit as part of being a student athlete and not all schools have equal policies. Depends on his dreams and priorities. I hope that he makes the best choice for him.

I didn't say they don't care about age, I said they aren't obsessed with it. People confuse correlation and causation all the time, and the draft is one of many examples. Oturu's draft stock isn't going to plummet if he comes back unless he regresses. If that were to happen, it would be his regression that caused his draft stock to fall and not his age.

Once he's in the first round projections he's gone, no reason to stay.

While I do agree there is a really good chance he might go pro if he is getting a late first round grade. One thing to consider would be if he sees the potential to move into a lottery pick spot (no idea if he would be able to) he might elect to come back.

can consistently knock down mid range J's before he can have any consistent PT in the league. But if teams are telling him they want him, he
While I do agree there is a really good chance he might go pro if he is getting a late first round grade. One thing to consider would be if he sees the potential to move into a lottery pick spot (no idea if he would be able to) he might elect to come back.

PJ Washington would be one comp for Daniel to look toward as he makes his decision. PJ stayed only two years at UK but his decision to come back for Year 2, when he became a dominant player with a substantial 3-pt game, payed off big time. I think Daniel could make the lottery if he becomes dominant next year.

Why risk mil
PJ Washington would be one for Daniel to look toward as he makes his decision. PJ stayed only two years at UK but his decision to come back for Year 2, when he became a dominant player with a substantial 3-pt game, payed off big time. I think Daniel could make the lottery if he becomes dominant next year.
why risk millions of dollars and an injury to move up a few spots when he can guarantee financial safety in his family for generations to come ?

I don’t want to lose him either but you gotta think he’ll do what’s best for him and his family first.

PJ Washington would be one comp for Daniel to look toward as he makes his decision. PJ stayed only two years at UK but his decision to come back for Year 2, when he became a dominant player with a substantial 3-pt game, payed off big time. I think Daniel could make the lottery if he becomes dominant next year.

Definitely but this is a weaker draft class and Oturu is still a ways from the lottery of this one right now. He could help his stock absolutely, but if hes 24 now, he could also slide a few next year and lose guranteed money.

I don't think he can make the wrong choice. But if hes got a 1st round gurantee this year, I really think he should go.

But if these last couple games are an indication of a team wide turnaround, he may feel its better to be on himself increasing his draft stock and returning to play for a what would be a legit team next year.

The only reason I see him coming back is because he loves college and doesn't want to leave his buddies.

The only reason I see him coming back is because he loves college and doesn't want to leave his buddies.

Agreed. And especially because the Gophers could be VERY good, bordering on elite, next year with him.

Oturi has a ways to go to be an impact NBA player. He really needs to work on his footwork along with his left hand scoring moves. That being said you don't get drafted on impact you get drafted on potential with the belief that they will develop you into an impact player. It would be tough to walk away from that first round money. I love his commitment to Minnesota and staying home to represent the home state.

The Thompson kid from Alexandria,the MN recruit, feels the same way. It bothers him when MN players leave the state. I hope we can start to see a momentum change with top local talent staying home.

Top Bottom