Sid: Next U coach will face same obstacles as Brewster

yet he wants his buddy, 73 year old lou holtz, to take the job

is this guy even coherent anymore?

Brewster's own mistakes were the obstacles: making a too-radical switch from Mason's offense to the spread, and then abandoning the spread for the pro style. The problem with the team when he was hired was defense, not offense. Had he kept the offense in place - or at least stuck with the spread -, and worked on the defense, he might still be here.

(1) Sid was harping on the academic stuff before the higher standards were put in place. I think the budget angle has been overplayed. We're in the middle on budget and my guess is we'll move up some.

(2) RodentRampage, I agree with you. I always thought Brewster's main fault was that he really didn't know what kind of coach he wanted to be and what kind of program he wanted to install. He was simply too impatient for the job. He thought he had to be the "anti-Mason" in every way and that's not a vision, it's a reaction.

"....or realize Minnesota is one of five schools in the conference requiring a higher GPA to be eligible than other schools in the league."

Like thats a bad thing? Sorry, Wisconsin is in the same boat and they can win. Is Sid still taking solid food?

Sid can continue to talk about budget but the fact remains that at the price we paid Brewster there were competent coaches who could have won far more.

Hopefully, coaching players isn't one of the obstacles the new guy has to face.

"....or realize Minnesota is one of five schools in the conference requiring a higher GPA to be eligible than other schools in the league."

Like thats a bad thing? Sorry, Wisconsin is in the same boat and they can win. Is Sid still taking solid food?

If we have higher academic standards than about 5 or so teams in the Big Ten, doesn't that make us average for the Big Ten?

If we have higher academic standards than about 5 or so teams in the Big Ten, doesn't that make us average for the Big Ten?

Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure there's a team called Nothwestern that has higher academic standards and playing requirements, yet they always field a consistent team since Randy Walker took over. Sid really needs to retire or keel over or something to stop writing.

Dave Lee and Sid should be out the door with Brewster, it's time to freshen up Gopher football from top to bottom.

Minnesota lost to South Dakota because Wisconsin has nicer player dorms.

YIPES

Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure there's a team called Nothwestern that has higher academic standards and playing requirements, yet they always field a consistent team since Randy Walker took over. Sid really needs to retire or die or something to stop writing.

YIPES! Your last sentence should have ended at the word "retire".

IMHO.

Dave Lee and Sid should be out the door with Brewster, it's time to freshen up Gopher football from top to bottom.

Isn't our market large enough to include one homer columnist? I admit, his best work is behind him, but at least he tries to positively cover the gophers. We have too many columnists who contribute virtually nothing, and they still can't be positive.

Isn't our market large enough to include one homer columnist? I admit, his best work is behind him, but at least he tries to positively cover the gophers. We have too many columnists who contribute virtually nothing, and they still can't be positive.

Phil Miller has done good job showcasing the best of Gopher football. Sid is just cranky now and only dredges up the past.

Die is a strong word.

True, but I don't see Sid leaving the trib any other way than feet first. The only other scenario is that he has a "look at that monkey run!" moment a la Howard Cosell. Or has an ethical lapse that his management can't ignore (they've overlooked more than a few).

The trib would love to put Sid out to pasture, but it isn't worth the hassles. Without cause, there's no way they can terminate him without creating a biblical S-storm. Also, considering that a significant portion of their paying newsprint subscribers are of Sid's demographic, its not someplace they want to go.

I agree on Phil Miller. He's done a great job covering the team. He's providing the kind of coverage that has been lacking.

Also agree on Miller. He provides the information without having to voice his opinions all the time.

True, but I don't see Sid leaving the trib any other way than feet first. The only other scenario is that he has a "look at that monkey run!" moment a la Howard Cosell. Or has an ethical lapse that his management can't ignore (they've overlooked more than a few).

The trib would love to put Sid out to pasture, but it isn't worth the hassles. Without cause, there's no way they can terminate him without creating a biblical S-storm. Also, considering that a significant portion of their paying newsprint subscribers are of Sid's demographic, its not someplace they want to go.

I think the days of Sid having any influence on anyone are long gone so his musings should not upset folks.

I think the days of Sid having any influence on anyone are long gone so his musings should not upset folks.

Yeah, Sid is about 25 years past his prime. The internet age has killed any influence or power he once had when he was one of a handful of sports writers. I don't understand why people post or link his thoughts on this forum. On the other hand, it's a public forum so link away.

Top Bottom